Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quaffa

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Manchester, UK
So.. finally I got iTunes 10.7 working.

What I did now:

I completely restored my system. Thanks to Time Machine, an SSD and a super fast Thunderbolt external drive with Time Machine backups on it I was able to get back to the old system with iTunes 10.7 in a record time of just 5-8 minutes.

I'm happy now. iTunes 11 really sucked out every hair of my balls.

Could you possibly take us through what you did to 'completely restore your system' please, step by step. I have Time Machine, and I'm running Mountain Lion, but whenever I try to revert to the iTunes I had before the upgrade I just get an error message telling me OS X 'needs' iTunes, and it won't let me revert.

gbnz

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Cos UI/UX is just so much worse to my eyes.

Totally agree with you... its pretty ugly... the white bg sucks and for some reason its using helvetica condensed for me (looks too squashed with no kerning).... it looks bloody awful.

If someone has a fix to change the font that would be brilliant :)

oddsratio

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Next time, you may wish to try the EASIEST solution - don't download stuff you're not so sure you're gonna like.

For the most part, iTunes is usually iTunes. I upgrade because it becomes it becomes a necessity at one point or another. I didn't think they'd screw up the search field up top so much that you can't even narrow down results in the normal 'song view,' the way it's been done for the past iTunes versions. This is the first update in a while where they didn't just add superfluous stuff that was kinda annoying like ping, but straight-up scrambled parts of a previously functional navigation UI.

edit: also bogoss figured out the fix for the -42408 error for downgrading here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16400819#post16400819. I followed the steps out and it works fine.

Last edited:

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Could you possibly take us through what you did to 'completely restore your system' please, step by step. I have Time Machine, and I'm running Mountain Lion, but whenever I try to revert to the iTunes I had before the upgrade I just get an error message telling me OS X 'needs' iTunes, and it won't let me revert.
No need to restore your entire system. Just follow the steps here - https://discussions.apple.com/message/20439826#20439826

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I followed the instructions above and worked perfectly. It may look complicated to a newbie, so Im gonna translate:

1)Delete iTunes 11

2)From a Time Machine Backup, restore the following:

-iTunes folder
-PrivateFrameworks folder
-iTunes application

Its not really complicated. However, when restoring the iTunes app, do it to a diferent place other then where iTunes 11 was....for example, restore it to your desktop. After you check everyting is fine, move it to the applications folder.

nerdybooboo

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
West coast PST
hey it works

You can make iTunes 11 go pretty much back the same look as iTunes 10 by clicking View>Show Sidebar and View>Show Status Bar. Then go to iTunes>Preferences and uncheck the 'Use large text for list views'.

It basically looks like an updated version of iTunes 10.

There isn't really a way to downgrade iTunes without breaking stuff, so your better sticking with iTunes 11 and just making it work like before (just with all the cool new features slotted into the old look).

at least it looks like iTunes 10 now YAY :p

hu.will38

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
How can you say you dont like it after using if for such a short amount of time?

:confused:

Not liking it would have been sugar coating it... I ****ing hate it! It broke my Apple TV, and I can't find where I can reset my Apple TV using iTunes, since the interface changed, and all the online tutorials are using the old interface!

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Next time, you may wish to try the EASIEST solution - don't download stuff you're not so sure you're gonna like. iTunes 11 is just one of them.

Dude, don't get self righteous and preachy.

Most every v of itunes has been pretty darn good with minor revisions being the norm.

No one anticipated 11 being such a spectacular piece of crap. There have been quick fixes in the past for minor issues (returning color to buttons, a black background), but never have i experienced a version of itunes which I simply wanted to flush down the toilet.

There's a first for everything I suppose.

edit: Apple should release a second version of itunes 11 which is basically itunes 10. Give us a choice without going through some extremely involved and dangerous hack.

I've defended apple just about every opportunity I get. But you can't defend stupid. 11 is stupid.

jtrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
iTunes 11 depresses me!

Are you kidding me?? The Searchlight tool in the new iTunes doesn't work on the iPod library!! Am i supposed to keep ALL my music on my computer?!

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Ok, just downgraded from 11 to 10.7.

1 - backup your library (normally in c:/my documents/my music/itunes) and all the content (artwork and so) get the last itunes library on the "Previous Itunes Libraries" folder and change it to the main "iTunes Library.itl"
2 - uninstall itunes 11
3 - go to http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php and download the 10.7 version (please, note that the library are compatible with higher versions. a 10.7 library will not work on a 10.6 itunes version.)
4 - install 10.7 version and change the content of the itunes library with your backup if necessary.

enjoy!
Just done this myself, should have looked here in the first place.

I keep loosing connection with my Apple TV 2, keeps asking me to enable Home Sharing in iTunes, was ok till I updated to 11.01.

Also apps don't sync automatically, have to Transfer Purchases.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
If I have my music on an external hard drive, do I have to back it up somewhere else?

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
I got the 10.7 running but I have no playlists and need to add the music. Is that normal?

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
My Lion iMac still has iTunes 10.7 with iTunes Match

I tried out iTunes 11 on my Snow Leopard macbook.
I just don't get it and want to go back.

Do I just erase 11 on the macbook then go to the site with the old version>reinstall 10.7> sign in to Match and let the magic happen?

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I need your help.
I am still on 10.7 and I love the old Miniplayer.
I use iTunes 11 on my Windows machine and it's ok, but on my Mac I want to use 10.7.

But I have one problem:
I can download the english version of iTunes 10.7 from Apples official homepage, but when I choose the german version I am redirect to iTunes 11.

Does anyone know, where I can get the german iTunes 10.7 version for Mac?

Thanks

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
iTunes was giving my Mac kernel panics every 5 minutes. I deleted the thing and my mac has been working perfectly for a few hours.

I couldn't even listen to my music because it sounded like an old tape that was scratched.

Hope Clementine does the trick cause i am not using iTunes-poop 11.

crystaldream123

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
followed all steps - itunes still doesn't open

Hi
I found this thread while searching for the answer to my problem - even though I do not have a Mac but PC, I've joined this forum hoping that someone will be able to help.

I have followed all the steps to downgrade iTunes 11 (which I can't stand!) to 10.7, including updating the library.

all went well, except that...itunes does not open. Instead, I get a weird error message: "to change volume, move the slider at the top of itunes window", which comes up twice when I click to close it.

what am I missing here?:confused:

I have Windows 7 (32 bits)

please help!
Crystal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.