Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
hi

considering changing my mac to a new retina MBP

and hesitating about how much ram to buy (as soldered)

wondering if photoshop cs6 will benefit from more RAM

8 vs 16 Gb: any real difference ?

and what about system overall performance too ?

thanks

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Photoshop loves RAM. More RAM is generally considered to be the single most important factor to better performance. And consider that it is very difficult, I believe, to upgrade the RAM post purchase for that system.

So... my advice is to get the 16GB option.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
on a rMBP go with 16GB. You never know in advance the memory requirements for 1-3 years from now. So give both today's and tomorrow's apps plenty of memory. If you have to save money, do it on SSD size...not memory or CPU.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
It is a small percentage of the cost of the machine, and you can't upgrade it later. Go for 16 gigs.
This.
That being said, Photoshop will probably not need the additional RAM. However, chances are that you are also using Lightroom or Aperture, and these eat RAM for breakfast. The math is easy: RAW files are often ~20 MB and larger a piece these days. If you are looking at a project with ~100 photos, that's at least 2 GB RAM right there before doing any manipulations on them.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Two weeks ago I had PS and/or Windows freak out on a single image. Granted it was a 3GB file but for some reason the RAM was pegged at 16GB used for a good 20 minutes when I tried to save. Convinced me to upgrade to 32GB.

I think it was a Windows issue but it was still annoying. I expect OS/X would handle it better but memory is never a bad thing. :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Two weeks ago I had PS and/or Windows freak out on a single image. Granted it was a 3GB file but for some reason the RAM was pegged at 16GB used for a good 20 minutes when I tried to save. Convinced me to upgrade to 32GB.

I think it was a Windows issue but it was still annoying. I expect OS/X would handle it better but memory is never a bad thing. :)

I'm not surprised, entirely. Ps often wants 6x to 8x times the size of the image for a scratch file.... so in this case it might have wanted up to 24 GB of RAM.... Just for the one image. Plus whatever is running, plus Windows... it would have been trying to write a big chunk of this to the HDD instead of RAM, and if there was something else trying to write to the HDD - well, it should have worked better but sometimes the system just gets bogged down.

But... 32 GB of RAM is definitely good!

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I'm not surprised, entirely. Ps often wants 6x to 8x times the size of the image for a scratch file.... so in this case it might have wanted up to 24 GB of RAM.... Just for the one image. Plus whatever is running, plus Windows... it would have been trying to write a big chunk of this to the HDD instead of RAM, and if there was something else trying to write to the HDD - well, it should have worked better but sometimes the system just gets bogged down.

But... 32 GB of RAM is definitely good!

Nothing else was open so everything should have fit in memory just fine. Even if it did need a scratch file it is on striped SSDs. ;)

It was something else - I took me five minutes just to open up the task manager. Doubling the memory was a cheap way to cure the symptom. At least until Nikon comes out with the D900. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.