Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttttaylor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
just looked at my iPhone 3GS and saw the purple location icon. i have location services turned off on almost everything so i got suspicious. went into the settings app and saw that under Location Services > System Services, "Traffic" was using my location. quickly turned it off, so now there's just the grey location icon next to it. only apps i had open were Phone, Messages, and Tweetbot.

any idea why Traffic would be using my location randomly like that?

verbcrunch

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
It's how traffic data is gathered for maps. Crowd sourcing. If you use the data, give back by disclosing your rate of speed while driving so maps can determine it you're green, yellow, or red.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I would certainly assume that Traffic data was only collected whilst using the Maps app in a car to navigate a route, otherwise the data is useless.
Looking at the apps you had opened there is no reason it should have been collecting data

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Can everyone please read the original post and the information contained within it.
The OP states that the only apps running were "Phone, Messages and Tweetbot"
Maps was not running, no navigation was taking place, therefore no traffic data should have been sent or received.

To the OP, please confirm what software level you were running and if you don't get any help, try the forums at Apple.com instead

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Can everyone please read the original post and the information contained within it.
The OP states that the only apps running were "Phone, Messages and Tweetbot"
Maps was not running, no navigation was taking place, therefore no traffic data should have been sent or received.

To the OP, please confirm what software level you were running and if you don't get any help, try the forums at Apple.com instead

Map info is collected at all times... he need to turn it of....

Privacy>Location Services>System Services.. I turn off everything but Cell Network Search

bu9azyny.jpg

Last edited:

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
it doesn't matter which apps you're using. If iOS 6 believes your traveling it'll periodically collect your location anonymously.

...if you are traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple does not personally identify you.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5467?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Traffic is only one aspect of Location Services and you would need to be travelling in a car. If you're walking or sitting on your sofa, traffic data is of no use whatsoever.
The system needs to know you're navigating...in a car, otherwise it would show the entire World as a traffic jam.
Speed is one way the system would know you're in a car as people can't walk faster than about 5mph, however, a traffic jam often moves at walking speed.
Trains, travelling parallel to a road would also give erroneous data if you we're on one and traffic data was collected.
What if one hundred people were travelling on a train at 80mph, and the train ran alongside a road with a traffic jam on?
Which data would be ignored and why?
It would therefore make sense to only send/receive traffic data whilst navigating with the Maps app...wouldn't it?

Last edited:

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Don't be ridiculous. If you're walking or sitting on your sofa, map data is of no use whatsoever.
The system needs to know you're navigating...in a car, otherwise it would show the entire World as a traffic jam

It can easily tell if someone is driving if it periodically checks.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Map info is collected at all times... he need to turn it of....

Privacy>Location Services>System Services.. I turn off everything but Cell Network Search

I've turned everything off under that system services including cell network search. I never have an issue getting a cell signal, using maps etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.