Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have an 3.5mm plug connected into my iMac and TV, and when my TV is off I want to listen to sound on my iMac, but it won't play on my iMac unless I pull the plug out which gets annoying and tedious task every day.

Any other solution?

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
Other option

You can go to system preferences and then go to audio and change the audio out to headphone jack or internal speakers

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You can go to system preferences and then go to audio and change the audio out to headphone jack or internal speakers

Do you mean click on SOUND? In output there is only one thing listed, Headphones. Why is that seeing I have no headphones? Does the Mac think the cable going from Mac to TV is a headphone?:eek: And why isn't the internal speakers listed?

----------

Or hold down the alt key and click on the sound level icon in the menu bar.

My keyboard don't have an ALT key?:eek:

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
Sorry thought it would work the same as my interface... but I think its becouse OS thinks u can just pull out the headphones if u want to use the speakers.. I cant think of any other work around to just pulling it out

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Sorry thought it would work the same as my interface... but I think its becouse OS thinks u can just pull out the headphones if u want to use the speakers.. I cant think of any other work around to just pulling it out

I have a Mini display port to Optical coming in the mail want to have it hooked to my Surround Sound Onkyo. Are you saying I cant have it plugged in and just enable my iMac speakers to listen out of them? Id have to pull this plug to listen out of my iMac and not the Surround Sound?

Bummer if so

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I have a Mini display port to Optical coming in the mail want to have it hooked to my Surround Sound Onkyo. Are you saying I cant have it plugged in and just enable my iMac speakers to listen out of them? Id have to pull this plug to listen out of my iMac and not the Surround Sound?

Bummer if so

yeah u can do it that way just not through headphone port

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Or hold down the alt key and click on the sound level icon in the menu bar.

It only shows headphones, not internal speakers:(

But when I pull plug out, it only shows internal speakers and not headphones.

Is there a way to have my Mac show BOTH, headphones and internal speakers so I can switch between the 2 without always having to pull out and plug in the audio cable?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
So it seems the only solution is to pull out the plug whenever I want to listen through Mac and put the plug in when I want to watch my Mac videos on my TV? :(

So my next question....does it harm the iMac if I pull out and put in the audio cable into the iMac when it's TURNED ON?:eek:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So it seems the only solution is to pull out the plug whenever I want to listen through Mac and put the plug in when I want to watch my Mac videos on my TV? :(

So my next question....does it harm the iMac if I pull out and put in the audio cable into the iMac when it's TURNED ON?:eek:
So id have to pull out the Ministoslink to hear the iMacs speakers?

macdaddykane

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
USB audio adapter

Get a USB audio adapter. It basically adds another set of headphone and mic jacks to your computer. Use this for your audio out to TV.

Something like this:
USB-AUDIO3_LR.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/qvs-usbaudio3-usb-to-2-1-stereo-audio-adapter/226049977.html

This will free up your headphone jack and you will end up with something like this in your Sound preferences:

3005nqa.jpg

Make sure check the box on the bottom circled in red.

Now option/click (alt/click) on the speaker in the menu bar will allow you toggle your audio choice.

v30n5v.jpg

Not the most elegant solution but, No more unplugging...

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Get a USB audio adapter. It basically adds another set of headphone and mic jacks to your computer. Use this for your audio out to TV.

Something like this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/qvs-usbaudio3-usb-to-2-1-stereo-audio-adapter/226049977.html

This will free up your headphone jack and you will end up with something like this in your Sound preferences:

Make sure check the box on the bottom circled in red.

Now option/click (alt/click) on the speaker in the menu bar will allow you toggle your audio choice.

Not the most elegant solution but, No more unplugging...
Nice, but why doesn't it already have the sound Output preferences like that already? Where either the Minitoslink/Headphone output or iMac default speakers can be enabled?

BTW if I go this route with the adapter it doesn't effect sound quality since it isn't the native port?

macdaddykane

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Nice, but why doesn't it already have the sound Output preferences like that already? Where either the Minitoslink/Headphone output or iMac default speakers can be enabled?

BTW if I go this route with the adapter it doesn't effect sound quality since it isn't the native port?

For some reason when they designed the iMac, if you plug something into the built in audio out/headphone jack, it disables the built-in speakers. I believe that this is the way iMac is hard-wired and it is not a software/OS function (Though I could be wrong).

My prefs with empty headphone jack

v30n5v.jpg

with something plugged in headphone jack

333cqi1.jpg

The only way I found around this is to add a usb sound out adapter.
They sold are in various levels of quality from simple stereo to full 3d surround.
How they stack up against the built-in head phone jack in terms of sound quality, I can't really say. I'm not much of any audiophile.
But it does work and its how i connect to my reasonably mediocre home sound system.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Does it harm the iMac if I pull out and put in the audio cable into the iMac when it's TURNED ON?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
For some reason when they designed the iMac, if you plug something into the built in audio out/headphone jack, it disables the built-in speakers. I believe that this is the way iMac is hard-wired and it is not a software/OS function (Though I could be wrong).

I thought it was software based simply because when you have external speakers connected to your iMac and then you restart the system.

The apple chime comes out of the built-in speakers at boot up, once OS X is up sound comes out of the connected speakers.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Plugging a headphone jack in and out of your phone doesn't break it so why would it damage a more powerful and more capable machine.

It doesn't do anything except change where the sound comes out.

I hate the fact that the headphone jack is on the back. You either need an I credibly long headphone cable or have to sit right up next to the iMac.

Apple should either move the jack or include a pair of very long lead headphones with the iMac.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Plugging a headphone jack in and out of your phone doesn't break it so why would it damage a more powerful and more capable machine.

It doesn't do anything except change where the sound comes out.

I hate the fact that the headphone jack is on the back. You either need an I credibly long headphone cable or have to sit right up next to the iMac.

Apple should either move the jack or include a pair of very long lead headphones with the iMac.

Or just buy a male->female 3.5mm extension cable....

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I am very surprised that nobody at Apple could have better foresight to include the ability to choose between 2 different audio outputs. Even the people at Microsoft were smart enough to think of that lol :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.