Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcsacto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I just connected my new ATV using a HDMI cable to my five year old Denon AVR-887 and assigned the HDMI port to the VCR1 function. Although I do get audio from the ATV, there is no video. My Mitsubishi HD monitor is connected to the AVR with component cables and seems capable of displaying the input from any other device regardless of the source resolution.

I have explored all of the AVR setup options and have not been able to discover any setting that will solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
A little Rube Goldfarb-ish, but it works

Does your HD monitor have a VGA input? If so, then try the Kanex ATV Pro:
http://www.kanexlive.com/atvpro

I got ATV3 for Christmas and both my TVs don't have HDMI input. I discovered the Kanex when searching for HDMI to component converters - there was a lot of griping re: HDCP issues for some converters. Interestingly, teachers are using the Kanex to display iPad content via Apple TV and VGA monitors or projectors.

Luckily, our old flatscreen also had a VGA input as well as a 3.5 mm audio input. The Kanex ATV outputs VGA + audio, so in your case, you can take the VGA output to your HD Monitor and the 3.5 mm stereo output to your Denon using a stereo miniplug to RCA stereo audio cable, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Mini-St...11164&sr=8-3&keywords=stereo+mini+plug+to+rca.

BoB 7

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
Run 2 Cables

Run HDMI from ATV to the TV and then run Optical (Digital Audio) from ATV to the Denon.

This worked on my 'old' receiver ;)

rjcsacto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
You'll need a TV that has an HDMI input. Most likely an HDCP issue.

My TV does have an HDMI input, but I originally ran component video from the AVR because of the high cost (at the time) for a 30' HDMI cable. SoI if I understand you correctly, I can replace the component video cable with an HDMI cable and it should work...right?

----------

the 887 does not bridge video from one type to another (HDMI to component in this case)

Thanks for the information. You and BlueRoom seem to be on the same page so I think that I need to replace the component video cable to the TV with an HDMI cable. It's a bit of a chore since I have a remote equipment closet, but it sounds like the best solution unless I want to do an awkward work around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.