Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Let's see if that's right...

Wtf 1 gig only takes a few minutes to download he is correct. It's not his fault if some people are using ****** ISP's.

1 GB is 8 Gb (Giga bits). 8 Gb in 2 mins is 4 Gbs per min or 66 Mbps.

T-1 - 1.544 megabits per second (24 DS0 lines) Ave. cost $250.-$500./mo.
T-3 - 43.232 megabits per second (28 T-1s) Ave. cost $4,000.-$16,000./mo.
OC-3 - 155 megabits per second (100 T-1s) Ave. cost $20,000.-$45,000./mo.

Century Links TOP DSL speed is 40 Mbps, the most common speed Century Link sells is 7 Mbps. It's switched so other peoples use doesn't effect your speed (you get this consistently).

Comcasts average is 30 Mbps (although they can provide *up to* 100Mbps for $120 U.S.) Downside of Comcast is utilization. They still suffer from drops in data rate with multiple users in an area using the service.

So this ISN'T an unreasonable statement considering on AVERAGE it was off by at least 200%. That's a pretty gaping margin of error.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
I played it and hated the new version. Give me the original.

I was actually hoping it would be a straight port of the original or at least available as an easter egg included with the modernized version. May still give it a try though.

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Yeah, it's a great new version, except
-- In an attempt to be cross-platform, it's been reduced to a single button press system that pales in comparison to what it should have been (imagine an infinity blade type game)

Wrong. This is only true for the iOS version, and for good reason.

In our interview with Jordan Mechner (which we will be posting shortly), he indicated that the decision was made to make the iOS version somewhat simpler than the console versions, to facilitate on-the-go, pick-up-and-play gaming for a mobile platform. The main difference is in the attack system. While the console versions of the games give the player both distinct kick and a punch abilities (a button for each), the iOS version uses a single tap for attacks that automatically vary the method of contact.

I got the XBOX version despite it costing 800MSP ($10), and I must say I picked the right version.

Thanks for the link MacRumors!

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Floppy disk from 30 years ago -> 1.44 MB
iOS Game -> 1 GB

How the heck is a 2D scroller game from 30 years ago now 1 GB?
That's like 700 floppy disks.

Last edited:

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Carra-teka?

I played this game on the Apple ][+ when it was called Karate-ka!

BOOM!

I've always pronounced it as Kara-tehca (rhyming with Caprica). Never knew until now.

Now where's Prince of Persia? And I'm still waiting for a remake of Prince of Persia 2: Shadow and the Flame, which was insanely difficult and maybe 50x longer than the original. Man those really bring back fond memories of my childhood...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.