Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I just got an iPhone 5 and want to bring everything over from my 4S, the thing is, I use my 4S to record music a lot of the time just to get the tunes down. I use a recorder app, and was wondering if I went to "Transfer Purchases from iPhone 4S" (to transfer the App to iTunes before I transfer it to the 5) - would that erase all the recordings on that application?

And also, does that take the Application off of the 4S then? (I believe it does, right? Apple's way of keeping people from sharing purchased Apps.?)

If there's a risk here, I'd rather just leave it all on my 4S as an archive, but would really like if I can get it all on my 5 somehow.

Just not sure how transferring Apps work, especially ones that record audio.

Thanks!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
The app will remain on the 4S. The way Apple controls sharing Apps is through verifying your Apple ID - to transfer purchases to a computer, that computer must be associated with your Apple ID, and a maximum of 5 computers at a time can be associated with any one ID.

Your best bet would be to backup your 4S to your computer (there is a backup button that appears when you connect to iTunes), and then restoring your iPhone 5 from said backup and verify that your recordings have transferred over.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The app will remain on the 4S. The way Apple controls sharing Apps is through verifying your Apple ID - to transfer purchases to a computer, that computer must be associated with your Apple ID, and a maximum of 5 computers at a time can be associated with any one ID.

Your best bet would be to backup your 4S to your computer (there is a backup button that appears when you connect to iTunes), and then restoring your iPhone 5 from said backup and verify that your recordings have transferred over.

I did do that, but the apps never transferred over. Just texts, contacts, etc. Small things.

My ringtones didn't even transfer over, which is another question I have and don't want to make another thread about.

How do I get my ringtones off of my 4S and onto my 5? Usually I'm the person people ask these questions to but I honestly have not upgraded iPhones before, so this is all a first for me.

I go to "Tones" with my 4S but there's nothing there other than to "Sync" - but that says it will remove what's on my 4S and sync my library.. Not sure why it would link my Library to my "Tones" (which I assume is Ring Tones..?)

This is the computer I set this phone up on, so I'm lost.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I e-mailed the company that makes the app to find out for sure..

Would still like to know how to get my ringtones from my 4S though. Anybody?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Now I don't consider myself an expert but I would say from experience...

Doing a backup of your 4S and syncing the iPhone w/ your library should bring your ringtones with it.

How exactly did you get the ringtones onto the phone?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Now I don't consider myself an expert but I would say from experience...

Doing a backup of your 4S and syncing the iPhone w/ your library should bring your ringtones with it.

How exactly did you get the ringtones onto the phone?

I did back it up, and restored that to the 5, but there's no ringtones.
All that I can see that the backup brought over is my Contacts and Text Messages. (And call history.)

For some reason it's now saying that my 4S is synced to another computer, which I know isn't the case since I haven't gotten a new computer or anything like that.. Not sure what is going on here.

I can see the ring tones that are on the iPhone if I go to "on this iPhone" but they're all grayed out and I can't do anything with them.

I downloaded them online and added them myself a long while ago.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions, hopefully someone else can, but as for this one:

I did do that, but the apps never transferred over. Just texts, contacts, etc. Small things.

Apps aren't included in the backups, only the data saved by the app. Apple seems to assume that everyone has their apps and content saved into their iTunes library or has the ability to redownload all their content (IIRC, after restoring it asks if you want to redownload all your apps as opposed to syncing them from iTunes). While your recordings should be a part of the backup, you need to reinstall the app yourself (be it from getting it to sync from iTunes following restoring from the backup, or downloading the backup and content back from iCloud) to access them.

If you are connected to a wifi connection and are having issues with your computer behaving with the phone, I recommend backing up your phone to iCloud using your free storage and then setting up the iPhone 5 without the aid of a computer, it should ask you to restore using a backup from iCloud. Once that is all done it should then ask you to log in with your Apple ID and redownload all your apps - do not worry, as the backup has been applied all your content should still be in your apps after they have been reinstalled.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions, hopefully someone else can, but as for this one:

Apps aren't included in the backups, only the data saved by the app. Apple seems to assume that everyone has their apps and content saved into their iTunes library or has the ability to redownload all their content (IIRC, after restoring it asks if you want to redownload all your apps as opposed to syncing them from iTunes). While your recordings should be a part of the backup, you need to reinstall the app yourself (be it from getting it to sync from iTunes following restoring from the backup, or downloading the backup and content back from iCloud) to access them.

If you are connected to a wifi connection and are having issues with your computer behaving with the phone, I recommend backing up your phone to iCloud using your free storage and then setting up the iPhone 5 without the aid of a computer, it should ask you to restore using a backup from iCloud. Once that is all done it should then ask you to log in with your Apple ID and redownload all your apps - do not worry, as the backup has been applied all your content should still be in your apps after they have been reinstalled.

All has actually been resolved actually! But thank you for all of the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.