Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
I have decided to power down all of my other macs and just use my faithful g3 for all of my daily task for 72 hours starting at 5pm today until 5pm friday and report my findings

anyway time to turn off this computer see you guys on the other side

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I have decided to power down all of my other macs and just use my faithful g3 for all of my daily task for 72 hours starting at 5pm today until 5pm friday and report my findings

anyway time to turn off this computer see you guys on the other side

What are the specs? I have the highest clock G3 Apple made, I could do pretty well. :D

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
So far so good

Specs Are
400mhz g3
1gb ram
160gb hdd
apple slim keyboard and pro mouse
os x 10.3.9

so far I have downloaded the following programs
AppleWorks 6- For all of my office needs
FireFox 2.0.15- For general browsing

It loads macrumors pretty well, i'll see if I can geekbench it later
I have the fastest internet with the most bandwith available today and it still won't run youtube. Oh well nothing much left to do but go down to BlockBuster and overheat my g3 watching Star Wars Episode II on its dvd player

Since It is the Summer of 2002 afterall:p

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Ahh... just as a reference, I have a base model Summer 2000 Indigo 350MHz iMac I picked up for about $10 recently, benches below:

Geekbench: 188
OpenMark: 115
Xbench: 10.55

HD performance? Decimated by every other Mac.

No Firewire or wireless on my model, IIRC, I shared the Airport internet connection from my G5 tower over Ethernet to fully update Tiger. Also uninstalled Java and Flash.

Curious as to how a game like Quake or the original Unreal Tournament would perform, may have to check that out tonight...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yeah, there's no way it's running YouTube, and that has nothing to do with bandwidth. Most YouTube issues with PPC Macs have little to do with bandwidth and everything to do with Flash. I believe there's something called MacTubes you could try, but a 400 MHz G3 might only have enough power for the lowest quality videos.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Maybe I'll give it a try sometime with my 600mhz Snow iMac. I have used the 500mhz Cube for a few days straight though

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I've used an iBook Clamshell (Close enough to an iMac :) ) exclusively for ~3 months, so...

It's not that hard to get it to play YouTube, just use the mobile version and play it through QuickTime. iCab on Panther with JavaScript off should render most sites quickly enough, and when it doesn't, the mobile version is usually fine. Also, the Panther version of Camino isn't that bad, and it crashes a lot less than iCab. There are a couple lightweight office suites for 10.3. Adium works nicely for FaceBook Chat, and any IRC client should be lightweight enough. SeaShore is a nice image editing app and runs nicely on slower G3's.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Its been pretty boring so far I have occupied my time by drawing and writing short ghost stories on Appleworks. As well as editing video on imovie, browsing the Macrumors forum and watching dvds.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Its an awesome idea to challenge yourself in this way, if only that it makes you appreciate faster machines and more speed when and if you go back to them.

A few months ago I challenged myself to a week with this and only this machine:

Compaq Presario 1200 laptop
Pentium II 266 mhz
192 MB RAM
2 MB video RAM
6 GB HD

Tried several different OS's, settled on ConnochaetOS, a Arch Linux based distro designed for ancient machines like this. With it I had up to date mplayer, IceCat (firefox rebranded for a free OS), a minimalist webkit browser (XXXterm), abiword and gnumeric. I found that I could still watch youtube vids (3GP and 240p) if I downloaded the file in IceCat and played it back through mplayer with some command line tweaks. The machine was responsive if not fast. System used 30 MB of RAM when idle, I never seemed to run out of RAM even with several applications open. Shockingly, I didn't really miss my Dell D620 or ibook G4. In the end I gave away the laptop to a starving student who promptly sold it for 50 bucks cause she couldn't put itunes on it. Never again.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Same here. I will likely never understand why people have such a hard on for YouTube.

I use it, though not that often. And I wouldn't base my setup on whether or not it plays well with YouTube.

You can find things on YouTube that are difficult to find elsewhere. Like the Knicks-Lakers finals in 1970. Also plenty of full-length concerts and films/documentaries that are easier to find there instead of Googling your time away.

I also don't use Facebook all that much, but people seem to find entertainment on both sites.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Same here. I will likely never understand why people have such a hard on for YouTube.

YouTube is an invaluable source of information, and can be somewhat entertaining, although I find the majority of the "comedy" stuff on there immature and stupid. However, the educational stuff and product reviews are very interesting to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.