Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I can't imagine the disappointment of an empty bag...:D

I don't think there would be any empty bags or bags where the retail total was less than $390.

I think Apple is making sure these bags are filled with at least $390 (likely more) worth of Apple products; so even the worst bags are worth the $390 price.

My guess is every bag's content has items that in total is worth more than $390 retail if they were bought separately (making them in such high demand); but a few random bags has content worth a lot more than $390, such as the MacBook Air, etc. If I were to take another guess, likely about $490 worth of Apple products from last generation as a minimal. So everyone feels they have at least 20% off -- only they do not get to pick the product itself.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I wouldn't bother with this. Suppose you paid 390 dollars and ended up with a bag of headphones & a tee shirt what a waste of money.

As noted by other posters, if you take a look at how this has gone in the past, the norm seems to be making sure that there's at least $390 in retail value of the items inside. You're just gambling that it's at least $390 of stuff that you actually want. I suppose it could be a really nice pair of headphones and a tee shirt.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I don't think there would be any empty bags or bags where the retail total was less than $390.

I think Apple is making sure these bags are filled with at least $390 (likely more) worth of Apple products; so even the worst bags are worth the $390 price.

My guess is every bag's content has items that in total is worth more than $390 retail if they were bought separately (making them in such high demand); but a few random bags has content worth a lot more than $390, such as the MacBook Air, etc. If I were to take another guess, likely about $490 worth of Apple products from last generation as a minimal. So everyone feels they have at least 20% off -- only they do not get to pick the product itself.

Your guess is correct. Retailers here — including Apple — fill fukubukuro with items whose combined SRPs are at least equal to (and usually in excess of) the price being charged for the bags.

While I've never purchased an Apple Store fukubukuro, friends of mine have. A couple of years ago, one of them got a MacBook Air in his bag.

My daughter, meanwhile, lines up every January 2 at her favorite fashion store to buy a couple of lucky bags. The best part — if she gets an article of clothing that doesn't fit her, the store allows her to exchange it for the same item in her size. She gets pretty much an entire season's wardrobe out of those two bags, and at a fraction of what she would pay for the items "off the rack."

It's a fun tradition, and not much of a "gamble" as long as the store sells items that you are interested in having.

Last edited:

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
No way the majority of people who buy these things don't get screwed. That's why it's called "Fukustupidsheeple" or whatever.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So is there a chance what you get might equate to FAR less than the ~$400 price of the bag?

So could you end up with 2 t-shirts and nothing more?

If so massive gamble :(.

But if you were guaranteed say, $400 worth of things (whether it be in gift cards and an iPod and some case for a phone or something) then I would most definitely try this!

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
This is done in Japan only because it's become a traditional New Year's celebration there. It's not dissimilar to the Black Friday promotions in the US or the Boxing Day sales in Canada or the various other regional promotions that take place. This one is just much more interesting.

It wouldn't work in the US because we don't have that tradition here. Customers in Japan will pick a store that is likely to give them a bag full of stuff they actually want and if they get lucky, great. If not, it's likely stuff they actually will use. I'd imagine there's a large number of people outside the stores trading items amongst themselves from the various bags as well.

My understanding is that the bags all have at least $400 worth of items in them, so it's not a gamble financially. It's just a gamble as to whether you get something you actually want.

Most American (and likely western consumers as a whole) would not choose to take part in a promotion like this one. In Japan, during this celebration, things are different.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
They have some pictures on google of prior years, what some people received in there fukupeople bags, it's basically like an iPod nano or older generation touch, cheap, but overpriced retail accessories and a t-shirt. Then, it showed one person received a MacBook, iLife and iWork and new osx disk sets, a Magic Mouse, external hard drive, looks like a winner fukuguys bag.not sure what the odds are on getting a good bag, probably like 1-2 per store, but I'm sure you'll receive at least "retail" value for what you spend, but remember, that means like US$150 for some cheap speaker dock that should really sell for US $20, and other junk like that, in addition to emptying their old stock of last generation iPod nanos and touches.

But hey, like the people are saying, it's fun to spend US$400 and have a 1/500 chance of not taking it from behind.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
if this was really a "lucky bag" it would be Free.

Don't Apple get enough from people who buy Macs ?

I bet you anything its just two new ipod touches.

Like one of those "mixed" bag where you get a cotton candy, and a who bunch of useless toys, half you would never play with as a kid.

Same thing here.......

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
if this was really a "lucky bag" it would be Free.

Don't Apple get enough from people who buy Macs ?

I bet you anything its just two new ipod touches.

Like one of those "mixed" bag where you get a cotton candy, and a who bunch of useless toys, half you would never play with as a kid.

Same thing here.......

the items in the bag have a retain value equal to or greater than the purchase price

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I was ready to go until I read that you have to queue up the night before. It's freaking cold in Tokyo now! Staying in bed...

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Such a cool idea, wish they did them elsewhere!

I've seen these types of lucky bags for sale at Muji here in Taiwan, but that's a Japanese store. Still, we do have them here.

Haven't seen them at any of our Apple resellers though.

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
It's okay as long as you always get at least the full value of what you paid for. If you pay $300 and get a pair of earbuds then not so much fun. If you pay $300 and get a Macbook Air, well now were having some fun.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Too bad that due to family events I'm on the 2nd each year quite country side and not able to line up. I miss that since years. A new MBA for 3man would be nice.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
MOD NOTE.

Open.

If you wish to discuss the PRSI topics that had previously been discussed in this thread, then please use this new one.

Lets try also to keep it broadly on topic.

Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
As noted by other posters, if you take a look at how this has gone in the past, the norm seems to be making sure that there's at least $390 in retail value of the items inside. You're just gambling that it's at least $390 of stuff that you actually want. I suppose it could be a really nice pair of headphones and a tee shirt.

well why not just spend $390 dollars on a really nice pair of headphones and a tee shirt in the first place? The sort what you want? I suppose you could get lucky with an iPad or whatever, but I imagine for the majority they won't.

julit0

macrumors demi-god
Apr 19, 2010
Torrance, CA
What I got 1/2/2013 - Ginza Apple Store

I stood in line last night from about 2000(01 Jan) to this morning about 1000 (02 Jan). Cost in US was about $385 and the photos show what I got from the Ginza Apple store. Probably the average bag. I saw at least 10 iPads given away in the 1 hour I was at the store entrance to the end of getting my bag. Extremely civil process - Police were out all night, patrolling the block, setting up cones and dividers on the sidewalk to let the campers have some space and still allow traffic. Being solo, my neighbors were able to watch my stuff and my place when I took breaks to warm up, etc. This morning, about 0530, "Apple Minions" began going up and down the line and close to 0700, we packed up our gear and condensed the lines. I was about 500m from the store when I got in line, and estimating about 5 people per meter of line, probably about 2500 people in front of me. Apple handed out tickets about 0715 and had plenty to give to the hundreds behind me, too.

Short tally on what I got, using prices from the Apple Store:
Beats Solo HD - $199.95
16GB 7Gen Nano - $149
Incase Bag - $89.95 (Model was "Range Messenger"
Mophie Powerstation (4000mAh) - $79.95
Bluetooth speaker -$68 (from Japanese reseller at 5980 Yen)
Armband - $29.95
Total given back in goods was about $617 US

No Regrets! I would do this again if I were to live in Japan for the New Year later. Yeah, some of the stuff is not "Great", but it is all useable or re-giftable, too, and for the value, it was worth it to me.

Looks like my tag line of iStuff is out of date...add a 1st Gen and 3rd Gen iPad (both 4GB wifi+Cell) and two iPhone 4S's for me and the wife...Happy New Years!

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 60

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks for sharing; I really need to try it once but new year I'm always away from Tokyo. Too bad. Most of the stuff I would need to "reuse" or sell as it would be redundant to existing devices. But I'm sure the experience in line was great. Did that once for the the launch of iPad in Shibuya.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.