Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Invite laziness I guess is a nicer way you tried to put it out there if you wish but doesnt make a difference. Still what you suggest doesn't make any sense.
Explain to me how having an unlimited data plan makes one lazy, will ya?
Just want to try to understand what you meant.

it makes you not pay attention to the amount of data you are gobbling up, when it is a finite resource shared with all users on the spectrum.

----------

Unlimited data will be eliminated within a few years. Verizon needs the profits from metered data.

I'm paying less than I was before, with limited data.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I didn't wanna get rid of my unlimited but then I actually looked at the amount of data I used. Going to a shared everything plan with my gf is actually going to keep my bill the same, just swapping the unlimited data for unlimited minutes. Anyways I have good wifi at home. It's been about 12 days into my billing cycle and I've haven't went over a gig yet which is pretty good for me!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have unlimited data for $10/month/line. People are so ready to give up unlimited data, but just wait a year or 2 when 2gb isn't even close to enough data, especially on a shared plan.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
That is not the case with most single user accounts. i currently pay about $75 a month with unlimited data.

yeah I have a two user account. It's less or the same, I can't remember. But we don't ever go over anyway. Wifi at work and at home. Only time I use LTE is on the train.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I actually think unlimited data will come back. As the LTE networks expand across the US, more and more smaller carriers (net10, etc) will begin using LTE with much cheaper unlimited everything plans. Right now, these smaller carriers do not have access to those networks from AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc; but will in the future. Once that happens, the big boys will have to figure out how to compete and the unlimited everything at a reasonable price will come back. The income from texting is dropping as people find other ways to text, and make calls. Eventually it will just be data, and you use it the way you wish.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Verizon forcing subsidized phone users off unlimited lte is purely a profit maneuver cause they cannot throttle LTE like AT&T.

Data is the only revenue growth for wireless carriers. Verizon does not even report per line revenue. It's per account revenue. It's a subtle change but very important change.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
You said VZW couldn't wait to dump your unltd plan but you bought at subsidized pricing. Didn't you know when you buy at subsidized pricing(upgrade) you lose unltd data?

I stream Pandora quite often. I'd say I average about 5 hours/wk. I have never gone over 1GB data in a month.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I stream Pandora quite often. I'd say I average about 5 hours/wk. I have never gone over 1GB data in a month.

I stream I heart radio 3 hours a day 5 days a weak. I range 6- 10 gigs a month. When I finally get a lte device, I will use more data because I know my usage habits will change. I really need my unlimited data.

How did AT&T end it's unlimited data with current grandfathered customers? How were they notified?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. Actually its when you don't need or want it you can have all you want. And now that Data has become more important than Phone services the mobile carriers are offering many plans with 'unlimited talk' while banging the customer for Data.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I actually think unlimited data will come back. As the LTE networks expand across the US, more and more smaller carriers (net10, etc) will begin using LTE with much cheaper unlimited everything plans. Right now, these smaller carriers do not have access to those networks from AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc; but will in the future. Once that happens, the big boys will have to figure out how to compete and the unlimited everything at a reasonable price will come back. The income from texting is dropping as people find other ways to text, and make calls. Eventually it will just be data, and you use it the way you wish.

The major carriers do not need the bottom feeders. The MVNO carriers don't actually own their own networks and thus sign agreements with the major carriers to have access to nationwide networks. If and when the 'big boys' allow these bottom feeders onto their LTE networks you'd bet that there will be strings attached.

Do you honestly believe any of the major carriers would allow a MVNO to bring direct competition from them using the major carriers own network? You're very, very naive.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The major carriers do not need the bottom feeders. The MVNO carriers don't actually own their own networks and thus sign agreements with the major carriers to have access to nationwide networks. If and when the 'big boys' allow these bottom feeders onto their LTE networks you'd bet that there will be strings attached.

Do you honestly believe any of the major carriers would allow a MVNO to bring direct competition from them using the major carriers own network? You're very, very naive.

When Verizon and Google bought up all that spectrum several years ago, one of the requirements was that they would be required to share that spectrum with smaller carriers. So yes, MVNO's will be using their LTE network.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I stream I heart radio 3 hours a day 5 days a weak. I range 6- 10 gigs a month. When I finally get a lte device, I will use more data because I know my usage habits will change. I really need my unlimited data.

How did AT&T end it's unlimited data with current grandfathered customers? How were they notified?

AT&T didn't end UL data with it's current customers. You can upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep UL.

Example I upgraded to the iPhone 5 at $199 subsidized price and still kept my unlimited data.

With VZW I would have to pay $700'ish to keep my unlimited if I want to get an iPhone 5 OR buy a used iPhone 5.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
AT&T didn't end UL data with it's current customers. You can upgrade at subsidized pricing and still keep UL.

Example I upgraded to the iPhone 5 at $199 subsidized price and still kept my unlimited data.

With VZW I would have to pay $700'ish to keep my unlimited if I want to get an iPhone 5 OR buy a used iPhone 5.

In the only difference that att is throttling unlimited 4G users at the moment?

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I think people make a huge deal about keeping their unlimited data. A course having unlimited data is much preferred and is a better value compared to the share everything plans, but most people don't exceed 2GB or x amount.

Honestly if Verizon wanted to eliminate the grandfathered unlimited data they have every legal right to do so. They gradually have been phasing people to share everything plans.

So you my friend are a dyeing breed. Unless you move to Sprints pathetic network

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
When Verizon and Google bought up all that spectrum several years ago, one of the requirements was that they would be required to share that spectrum with smaller carriers. So yes, MVNO's will be using their LTE network.

I didn't say that smaller carriers wouldn't be allowed onto the LTE networks. I said when they do gain access there will be strings attached. Agreements can also be terminated. These virtual operators have no ground to hold.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I didn't say that smaller carriers wouldn't be allowed onto the LTE networks. I said when they do gain access there will be strings attached. Agreements can also be terminated. These virtual operators have no ground to hold.

With the FCC trying to keep the 2 major carriers from taking complete control of the mobile industry, they will cut them off at the knees and force them to give these smaller carriers full access at a very competive cost. If it wasn't for the FCC, these smaller companies would not even be on the 3G network and offering better deals than the big carriers. These smaller carriers are coming up quickly, and the bigs boys like Amazon and Google are going to get into the picture, by either backing them or going out on their own. The companies that need to worry, are the not the small carriers, but AT&T and Verizon. Their empires are going to take a hit.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
If a wireless carrier CAN screw you, they WILL screw you. The only question is how soon it will happen and whether they're kind enough to use lube.

We have a winner. In my case Apple didn't only screw me, they pulled out and blew it all over my face. Thanks, Tim.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
With the FCC trying to keep the 2 major carriers from taking complete control of the mobile industry, they will cut them off at the knees and force them to give these smaller carriers full access at a very competive cost. If it wasn't for the FCC, these smaller companies would not even be on the 3G network and offering better deals than the big carriers. These smaller carriers are coming up quickly, and the bigs boys like Amazon and Google are going to get into the picture, by either backing them or going out on their own. The companies that need to worry, are the not the small carriers, but AT&T and Verizon. Their empires are going to take a hit.

What's your prime motivation for the anti-imperialism views in terms of capitalism?

If it wasn't for the nationwide carriers spending the billions of dollars annually to expand and maintain these advanced networks the MVNO carriers wouldn't exist. In this type of market there's not going to be a lot of native competition just by the nature of the business. And quite frankly there's no such thing as a duopoly or monopoly. Even if the mobile industry was completed unregulated a duopoly would be near impossible to conceive.

beastmode16

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Was thinking how long VZW will offer grandfathered unlimited data. The last chance for unlimited data on a 2 year contract was 6/2012. So at least those that have a 2 year contract are somewhat protected until 6/2014.

I'm out of contract with unlimited data and realize if I want a new device and want to retain unlimited data I either have to pay full retail or bring in a used device. Since I'm out of contract I suppose VZW can inform me that I need to pick a tiered plan. However that would p**ss me off since I bought an iPhone 5 at full retail to retain unlimited data. When I bought the full price iPhone 5 I had a month left on my contract.

Verizon doesn't throttle 4G but they have the right to network optimize. I see areas and regions getting congested and I'm confident that VZW will start to implement network optimization. VZW says their network optimization isn't the same as what the competition does in regards to throttling.

What are your thoughts on the future of Verizon grandfathered unlimited data?

It really depends I think. I missed the grandfathered in chance by a long shot. I went from a 4 to the 5 . Just got the 5 as a present. Activated it on the day after Christmas over the phone and customer service recommended I keep my unlimited data. I'm on LTE all the time no throttle .

bkd0255

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Arizona
As files become larger and larger we are going to use more and more data. There is no way a simple 2 gb plan will be enough in the coming years.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
In the only difference that att is throttling unlimited 4G users at the moment?

Yes AT&T throttles you at .50 Mbps down and up when you reach 5GB with no overages.

VZW has the right to implement network optimization on 4G devices like they do 3G devices. 4G devices aren't affected AT THIS TIME. And it's not because of any FCC ruling. The FCC ruling pertains to 3rd party tethering apps and pertains to accounts with metered plans won't be charged for tethering for obvious reasons. Yes VZW doesn't implement their network optimization like they do 3G devices but it's inevitable that they will. Why? Because they can. Especially with the rise in data consumption.

For VZW users with a single it's not necessarily an issue per se with purchasing an iPhone at full retail and/or bringing in your own used iPhone.

I recently upgraded 3 of our 4 lines to iPhone 5's. The cost was $650'ish to upgrade 3 devices to iPhone 5's and kept unlimited data/throttled at .50 Mbps with no overages.

If I was to do the same with VZW the cost would have been $2100'ish with unlimited data/no throttling AT THIS TIME.

If I was a single user only VZW would be a better grandfathered option.

But if I have a family plan with 4 devices AT&T might be a better option in this case because in 2 years the 3 devices will probably need to be upgraded to new devices and I still have 1 other device that has seen it's day that will be upgraded in February. So the total cost upgrading 4 devices within a 6 month period(3 iPhones in Sept 2012/1 Feb 2013) is $850'ish compared to VZW $2900'ish. Least case if we waited to get 3 new iPhone 5's and bought used with VZW then the cost would be $1600'ish.

Whatever the case the devices on the 3 lines needed to be replaced anyway. In this case I'm glad I have AT&T and being able to take advantage of getting 3 spanking new shiney iPhone 5's for $200'ish each. If I was a single user VZW would be a better grandfathered option because most likely my finances would allow me to shell out $700'ish for a new iPhone or $525'ish for a used iPhone 5. Even if you calculate the cost of selling our 3 iPhone 4's to subsidize the cost with VZW would be around $1500'ish with VZW. I just sold our 3 iPhone 4's for $600 so the cost of getting 3 iPhone 5's with AT&T was $almost 0 TOTAL.

So with selling the used devices the comparison is to keep UL....NET(supposing I had 3 VZW iPhone 4)

VZW, $1500'ish
$2100(3 new devices)-$600(selling 3 iPhone 4)
AT&T, $50
$650(upgrade 3 iPhones)- $600(selling 3 iPhone 4)

Which is better $1500 or $50 for getting 3 spanking new shiney iPhone 5's?

I don't anyone who would or could shell out $2100'ish for 3 new iPhone 5's or $1600'ish for 3 used iPhone 5's.

Last edited:

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
As files become larger and larger we are going to use more and more data. There is no way a simple 2 gb plan will be enough in the coming years.

So true.. And with faster and faster networks (LTE) that pipe becomes larger.

2GB will be a weeks use in our future.

Keep your unlimited at all costs!!!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't think you have to worry much OP. Most people want a subsidized phone enough so that they will give up unlimited data to get one.

The "unsubsidized" retail price of iPhones and other smartphones is pathetically inflated and is the number one point of leverage for carriers in the U.S.

I expect AT&T will eventually force people off even their throttled unlimited plans by removing the subsidized price.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think you have to worry much OP. Most people want a subsidized phone enough so that they will give up unlimited data to get one.

The "unsubsidized" retail price of iPhones and other smartphones is pathetically inflated and is the number one point of leverage for carriers in the U.S.

I expect AT&T will eventually force people off even their throttled unlimited plans by removing the subsidized price.

I don't think VZW or AT&T will end grandfathered UL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.