Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I just ordered an iPad mini and I am in the market for a case. I have an iPad 3 that has the otterbox defender and I hate it because its 3 times the weight of my iPad. Now for my mini I am looking for something similar to the speck candyshell that they used to make for the old iPads and still make for iPhones. I am planning on taking the iPad to class with me so I need something to protect it but I really don't want to deal with the weight of the otterbox. Can anyone suggest a good case for my iPad mini? Thanks in advance!

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I'm not sure about that one. I wish there was something similar to the candyshell. I loved that case.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I went to best buy today and it looked like the griffin survivor and the otterbox were the best sellers. I'm still unsure though. The otterbox on my iPad 3 is so heavy and bulky but yet it is super protective

MKS

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
I just also ordered a mini today,and I plan on picking up an otter box for it. Elsewhere on the forum it seems to be that reports are saying it doesn't bulk up the mini too terribly,and seems to be one of the favorites. So I'm hoping that this is the case.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I just also ordered a mini today,and I plan on picking up an otter box for it. Elsewhere on the forum it seems to be that reports are saying it doesn't bulk up the mini too terribly,and seems to be one of the favorites. So I'm hoping that this is the case.

I'm kind of thinking about going that route. I might take the screen protector off and use my own though.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
can someone post what the Otterbox Defender does to the weight of the iPad Mini? does it end up being nearly as heavy as an iPad 3/4 or is it still very very lightweight.

the iPad Mini in its current form is essentially feather-light to me while reading with one hand. will the Otterbox then prevent one-handed operation for long periods of time?

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I just received my candyshell. So far I really like it. I have always used screen protectors but am considering going naked.

zedete8e.jpg
sy3e9u4y.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.