Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Basically happens every year...

iPhone 4
Best crazy rumor: N/A (infamously lost at a bar and leaked by Gizmodo)
Notable keynote moment: Job plays Jenga can't get Wi-Fi to work

iPhone 4S
Best crazy rumor: Sprint exclusive iPhone 4S and a teardrop design iPhone 5
Notable keynote moment: Tied at "most innovative" Siri and Cards app

iPhone 5
Best crazy rumor: It’s the iPhone 6 and diversion that looks nothing like the leaks
Notable keynote moment: It’s the 5…nothing new. iPod touch loop.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
LOL, yeah I remember the iPhone 4 keynote, and Steve infamously said,"Now I'd like all of you to police each other (to turn off wifi)." Haha yeah it was the only keynote where it was actually interrupted.

Just expect a normal keynote next year. Nowadays, people kinda know what to expect anyway with the 5S.:)

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Basically happens every year...

iPhone 4
Best crazy rumor: N/A (infamously lost at a bar and leaked by Gizmodo)
Notable keynote moment: Job plays Jenga can't get Wi-Fi to work

iPhone 4S
Best crazy rumor: Sprint exclusive iPhone 4S and a teardrop design iPhone 5
Notable keynote moment: Tied at "most innovative" Siri and Cards app

iPhone 5
Best crazy rumor: It’s the iPhone 6 and diversion that looks nothing like the leaks
Notable keynote moment: It’s the 5…nothing new. iPod touch loop.

I'm wondering if Apple might go straight for an iPhone 6. Can they really afford to to do a spec bump for the iPhone and hope it stays competitive in the market nowadays?

Also Apple may make a 5 inch iPhone alongside the 4 inch iPhone.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm wondering if Apple might go straight for an iPhone 6. Can they really afford to to do a spec bump for the iPhone and hope it stays competitive in the market nowadays?

I don't get the "just a spec bump" argument between the iPhone 4 and 4S. I had both, and there is a huge difference between the two. The 4S cameras are much better, and the model opened it up to Verizon and Sprint. Considering the fact that most people buy a phone on a two-year contract, and since so many people will for some reason buy every iPhone model, I don't see much wrong with how things are going.

I'm hoping rumors are correct about a summer launch because Verizon will let me upgrade in mid-June. About the only thing I would really like that the iPhone doesn't have right now is a 128GB model. Either that or a cheaper 64GB.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I don't get the "just a spec bump" argument between the iPhone 4 and 4S. I had both, and there is a huge difference between the two. The 4S cameras are much better, and the model opened it up to Verizon and Sprint. Considering the fact that most people buy a phone on a two-year contract, and since so many people will for some reason buy every iPhone model, I don't see much wrong with how things are going.

I'm hoping rumors are correct about a summer launch because Verizon will let me upgrade in mid-June. About the only thing I would really like that the iPhone doesn't have right now is a 128GB model. Either that or a cheaper 64GB.

A marginally better camera is a spec bump. And the only people who care about the iPhone being available on Sprint and Verizon are Sprint and Verizon customers. It has nothing to do with the phone. The problem for Apple is that Android is starting to take the customers that just finished their 2 year contracts with Apple and are going out to buy Samsung and Nexus. Why? Because for now Android's growth trajectory is much steeper than iOS.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Just expect a normal keynote next year. Nowadays, people kinda know what to expect anyway with the 5S.:)

Calling it right now...

iPhone 5S
Best crazy rumor: iPhone 5S gaining iPod touch loop.
Notable keynote moment: iOS 7 has no major UI change but has Foursquare integration.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Calling it right now...

iPhone 5S
Best crazy rumor: iPhone 5S gaining iPod touch loop.
Notable keynote moment: iOS 7 has no major UI change but has Foursquare integration.

The loop for the iPhone is retarded, almost can't imagine people using it. Oh yeah, some people actually think the screen size will be increased again.

No major UI change in iOS 7 to be expected, I guess. Hope Maps is improved significantly for countries outside the US.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
i don't know how much better they can make the iphone 5S. screen's great (and larger), speed's great, camera's great and storage options are great. i think from this point forward it all has to be about the OS.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Looking at my iPhone 5, the only thing I really would like to change about it is an exchangeable battery, or a thicker iPhone with larger battery capacity. I wouldn't hesitate a second to opt for an iPhone 5 twice as fat if it meant 3-4x battery capacity.

But I remember reading about a touch screen technique that would make it possible to get tactile feedback, texture wise. That would be cool as hell! Haptic touchscreen, could that be the name of it?

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
But I remember reading about a touch screen technique that would make it possible to get tactile feedback, texture wise. That would be cool as hell! Haptic touchscreen, could that be the name of it?

Could/would Apple add that for an S update or wait till the iPhone 6?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
A marginally better camera is a spec bump. And the only people who care about the iPhone being available on Sprint and Verizon are Sprint and Verizon customers. It has nothing to do with the phone. The problem for Apple is that Android is starting to take the customers that just finished their 2 year contracts with Apple and are going out to buy Samsung and Nexus. Why? Because for now Android's growth trajectory is much steeper than iOS.

"Android" takes customers away because there are hundreds of various devices compared to six total iPhone models. You see the phones available on discount carriers for cheap and they're all outdated Android-based devices. Apple is in no rush to win the race to the bottom when making good stuff brings in plenty of profit.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
IGZO display
Higher PPI than the 5
Amazing battery life leap
New finish (due to complaints on the 5)
Induction charging

Are those the crazy rumors?

I guess people will think that Apple could release a Retina+ device but with the same 4-inch screen while having amazing battery life.

I actually could see Apple fixing the problems of the finish like what they did with the iPhone 4's antenna for the iPhone 4S.

Wasn't the iPhone 5's design confirmed to not be able to support wireless charging and NFC?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Android phones have been superior to the iPhone in terms of raw features since the HTC Desire/iPhone 3GS, maybe even earlier. Apple's spec bump updates have continued to do very well since then, so why would they change now?

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Android phones have been superior to the iPhone in terms of raw features since the HTC Desire/iPhone 3GS, maybe even earlier. Apple's spec bump updates have continued to do very well since then, so why would they change now?

True but before iOS was vastly superior to Android so Apple whereas now the gap has closed and it's arguable that Android has surpassed iOS. I personally think Apple needs to diversify a little bit and be more open to change. If not, they should at least be differentiating themselves by other means.

----------

"Android" takes customers away because there are hundreds of various devices compared to six total iPhone models. You see the phones available on discount carriers for cheap and they're all outdated Android-based devices. Apple is in no rush to win the race to the bottom when making good stuff brings in plenty of profit.

Galaxy S3, Note II, Droid DNA and Nexus 4 hardly look like race-to-the-bottom phones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
True but before iOS was vastly superior to Android so Apple whereas now the gap has closed and it's arguable that Android has surpassed iOS. I personally think Apple needs to diversify a little bit and be more open to change. If not, they should at least be differentiating themselves by other means.

I don't think so. Simplicity has always been iOS' strength and it continues to be its strength. Most consumers don't discuss tech products on forums, they're not nerds, they just want something that works and doesn't have a big learning curve. iOS fits that bill perfectly.

Android has ALWAYS been the more capable OS. Well, at least for as long as I have used it.

iOS is still better in a number of ways. Less confusing to average consumers, battery life is better, regular and guaranteed software updates, etc.

I like both OSes and have used both extensively. iOS is more well thought out and works better IMO. Android can do more but it's a little chaotic.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I don't think so. Simplicity has always been iOS' strength and it continues to be its strength. Most consumers don't discuss tech products on forums, they're not nerds, they just want something that works and doesn't have a big learning curve. iOS fits that bill perfectly.

Android has ALWAYS been the more capable OS. Well, at least for as long as I have used it.

iOS is still better in a number of ways. Less confusing to average consumers, battery life is better, regular and guaranteed software updates, etc.

I like both OSes and have used both extensively. iOS is more well thought out and works better IMO. Android can do more but it's a little chaotic.

I see your point but iOS has always had better features, a better app store and a much smoother experience than Android. Not sure it holds all of those factors anymore. Better multi-tasking in Android is a massive factor going for Android nowadays.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I see your point but iOS has always had better features, a better app store and a much smoother experience than Android. Not sure it holds all of those factors anymore. Better multi-tasking in Android is a massive factor going for Android nowadays.

Android's "better multitasking" is what causes a lot of the battery drain (wakelocks) in Android. iOS can provide most of the same functionality with much less battery drain.

Android can do some things that iOS can't, sure, but iOS is perfectly fine for notifications.

iOS is still smoother than Android. App store was always going to be based on preference so it's pointless to discuss that either way :p

An example of where I prefer iOS is that I can just leave bluetooth and WiFi on all the time on my iPhone, whereas I used Tasker and NFC tags when I had my Android phone to make it easier to toggle those settings on/off to save battery life.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
iphone 5s

crazy rumor: iphone 5s comes in color like the ipod touch!
notable moment: better battery, better ios, maps & siri, lower prices

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Android's "better multitasking" is what causes a lot of the battery drain (wakelocks) in Android. iOS can provide most of the same functionality with much less battery drain.

Android can do some things that iOS can't, sure, but iOS is perfectly fine for notifications.

iOS is still smoother than Android. App store was always going to be based on preference so it's pointless to discuss that either way :p

An example of where I prefer iOS is that I can just leave bluetooth and WiFi on all the time on my iPhone, whereas I used Tasker and NFC tags when I had my Android phone to make it easier to toggle those settings on/off to save battery life.

True but their multitasking is just better. If battery life was my ONLY concern, I'd buy a Nokia brick. It's a balance and there's ways in which a better way to multitask can be brought in without killing the battery. For example, allow users to toggle how long they want background apps to run before going into freeze mode, etc. Apple was slow to get onto the multitasking train and are doing nothing to develop it.

I agree but whereas smoothness was always a differentiator between the two OS'es, that's no longer really the case.

My point is that Apple has stopped their progression for the iPhone/iOS recently and they may need to accelerate it to stay ahead. Do you really believe Apple is as far ahead of Android as they were a year ago? What about two years?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
True but their multitasking is just better. If battery life was my ONLY concern, I'd buy a Nokia brick. It's a balance and there's ways in which a better way to multitask can be brought in without killing the battery. For example, allow users to toggle how long they want background apps to run before going into freeze mode, etc. Apple was slow to get onto the multitasking train and are doing nothing to develop it.

I agree but whereas smoothness was always a differentiator between the two OS'es, that's no longer really the case.

My point is that Apple has stopped their progression for the iPhone/iOS recently and they may need to accelerate it to stay ahead. Do you really believe Apple is as far ahead of Android as they were a year ago? What about two years?

I think Apple is still as far ahead with regards to what they do best, yes. Your suggestion will slightly improve multitasking in some circumstances, but not really as a whole.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I think Apple is still as far ahead with regards to what they do best, yes. Your suggestion will slightly improve multitasking in some circumstances, but not really as a whole.

I dunno. When I bought the iPhone 4, I had no doubt I bought the best phone on the market. However, the only real reason I bought the iPhone 5 was because of the ecosystem. If Android has their own version of iMessage and could sync to iTunes, I'd probably have gone for a different phone. YES, the iPhone was 5 is an improvement over the 4, but it's not as night-and-day as the difference between the 3G/3GS and the 4.

Just my opinion though!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I dunno. When I bought the iPhone 4, I had no doubt I bought the best phone on the market. However, the only real reason I bought the iPhone 5 was because of the ecosystem. If Android has their own version of iMessage and could sync to iTunes, I'd probably have gone for a different phone. YES, the iPhone was 5 is an improvement over the 4, but it's not as night-and-day as the difference between the 3G/3GS and the 4.

Just my opinion though!

You're saying that Android would be better if it was more like iOS. I think that shows which one is still winning for you. ;)

Android can do a lot more, but it's more of a power user's OS. You sometime have to use hacks to get things working as you like. That's good, but once the novelty of customising the OS wears off and you want something that just works well for day to day use, I think the simplicity of iOS is brilliant.

iOS doesn't get in the way, it just lets you do what you need to without being a nuisance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.