Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I love Apple, but honestly I can say that their quality control this round was not to par. I have bought many iPhones on launch day and not a single one had problems as bad as the one I got almost a full month after launch. My iPhone 5 was chipped out of box, the lock button doesn't work unless I tap the very left tip of the button, the battery life is horrible (I'll be down to 33% within 2 hours when I BARELY use my iPhone), and the biggest flaw i recently found is that there is a ton of dust INSIDE the camera. I would be more understanding if it was one of the first one's made, but it isn't. Honestly, it has frustrated me so much that I am almost willing to go back to my iPhone 4S. This kind of quality control is not accepted for a phone manufacture let alone Apple. I have included a picture of a plain white wall I just took. I counted about 8 circles from either dust or a defective camera. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 630

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?

You actually only have 14 days which ran out on October 19, 2012. And I told you why i posted this in the title. I wanted to rant.

----------

That is pretty bad, I agree. Apple had better be working hard to make sure that the inconsistent quality of the iPhone 5 is an aberration and not the beginning of a slippery slope.

This exactly what I am afraid of. I could understand if it was one of the above defects, but all of them in one phone?! I don't even know if thats dust in the camera because those are perfect circles and now irregular shapes like you would expect from dust. I called Apple earlier and they kept insisting that the lock button doesnt work because i dropped it even though I baby my Apple products and my other friend has the same problem.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You actually only have 14 days which ran out on October 19, 2012. And I told you why i posted this in the title. I wanted to rant.

----------

This exactly what I am afraid of. I could understand if it was one of the above defects, but all of them in one phone?! I don't even know if thats dust in the camera because those are perfect circles and now irregular shapes like you would expect from dust. I called Apple earlier and they kept insisting that the lock button doesnt work because i dropped it even though I baby my Apple products and my other friend has the same problem.

The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now. :mad: :( :mad:

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
That's terrible news. I hope the quality has improved now that the phone has been out for some time and that the factories are no longer rushed to build them....

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
my phone is fine except for chips in black bezel right out of box. 3 months later and holy hell the phone has chips everywhere lol.

Gonna replace it once JB comes out.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
Apple boy, if you noticed the phone was chipped right out the box. Why did you even buy it or return it the same day?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It'll be slightly ironic if Apple fixes all these issues with the 5S and gives us the phone that the 5 should have been.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
OP....did you not notice these "issues" immediately when you got your phone?

Why did you not take it back right away? I would think that you would have noticed the dust in the lens with the first picture you took and also the scratches right out of the box?

Just curious why you waited so long.:confused:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
It'll be slightly ironic if Apple fixes all these issues with the 5S and gives us the phone that the 5 should have been.

yes, but it's almost guaranteed! The 3GS and 4S have been the best phones yet, regarding build quality too....each new model is like an experiment except the "s" version, which usually improves the device in every way.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
OP said apple is saying he was at fault for lock button. Sometimes it's not that easy.
Go back to the same store, different employee.
Go to another Apple Store.

Just call Apple.

Oh, and if the lock button is really a problem for them, don't mention there's a problem with it. Just complain about the camera.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Return it and get a refund or replacement. Its isn't hard. To think that defective models don't make their way in to the retail stores is utter folly. No need for this useless rambling on a forum.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
That's terrible news. I hope the quality has improved now that the phone has been out for some time and that the factories are no longer rushed to build them....

Quality Control has not improvement. I waited a few months hoping that Apple would get their act together. How wrong I was for making that assumption.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
So your phone had a chip in it right out of the box and you didn't return it then? It's no ones fault but yours. Don't come here looking for sympathy and don't act like you're the only one.

GHouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now. :mad: :( :mad:

Appropriate user name on several levels :rolleyes:

Just take it to the genius bar and get it swapped out under warranty, problem solved, stop sniveling.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
yes, but it's almost guaranteed! The 3GS and 4S have been the best phones yet, regarding build quality too....each new model is like an experiment except the "s" version, which usually improves the device in every way.
Agreed, which is why I'm sticking with the 'S' models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.