Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for thanking me for trying to justify why a 13/14 yr old would have a cell phone. You are certainly entitled to your opinions as everyone else is.

Maybe you did not have a cellular phone because your parents felt the same way as you feel now. Or maybe you really had no real use for one. What ever the reasons may be, times have changed and will continue to. By the time you are a parent with a 13/14 year old you may see things differently.

Owning a cell phone is becoming increasingly common especially as many people getting away from home phones. Why be restricted to only using a phone at home, missing calls, or waiting at home for a call?

When you and my children were in high school, cell phones were not nearly as commonly used as they are today. I felt that as my kids were learning to drive and going off with their friends who were driving, a cell phone was something they should have with them in case of emergencies. I certainly didn't think it was a God given right or so they could keep up with the Joneses.

Fast forward 10-12 years later, my daughter has a cell phone at the age of 13 and we have no home phone. Should I keep a home phone and pay AT&T $30 a month for her to be the only one to use that phone, or add a line to my already existing account for $10 a month? The data plan is shared, texts and calls are unlimited. She can talk to her friends without having to borrow my phone. Nor do I receive phone calls for her. Not to mention, the iPhone is her iPod, dictionary, calculator, map, calendar, alarm clock, camera, notepad, remote control for Uverse, she is able to watch movies, tv shows from free apps like ABC Player, TBS, NBC, CW. She can read newspaper articles. The list goes on.

When you are a parent of a 13/14 year old things will be "different" than they are now. Be prepared, how you think now might just "different".:rolleyes:
Think Different. -Apple

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My opinion is the OP did what is right for her daughter and if that is buy an iPhone 5 then so be it.

I have two sons - 25 and 23 now. When they were 12 I bought them cellphones- they both had entry level phones but were upgraded to smartphones the next year. They both played for 2 basketball teams and I would have to wait at one gym and the other would call when practice was over. I got alot of questions, opinions, etc from family members regarding my husband and I decision to buy our sons phones at such a young age.

This is an individual decision a parent/family gets to make. Each parent has a different set of values that affect this situation

I have never had one issue, not one lost or stolen phone, no lazy I only want to text and not live in the real world scenerio, etc....

I do say to the OP if you cant trust your daughter with an iPhone 5 at 13 how do you trust her with your family car 3 years later????

I am glad your daughter is enjoying her iPhone 5 - sounds like she is understands the responsibility the device demands..

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Again, I am not making a direct argument for or against OP's decision. One thing that I found disturbing is the disproportionate number of posts here concern were about cost and pleasure, and almost none about the social impact. To me that is more significant than the $1500 or so for the cost of a phone.

It is like debating the cost versus pleasure of eating bacon without considering the health effect.

Of course what OP does is his own business - he sounds like a responsible rational human being - but this is a public forum and he brought up a debatable topic. We would not do him justice had we ignore it.

Last edited:

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
Every child has a different level of responsibly. No one is going to know the OP's daughter's level better than the OP himself.

Kudos to you, Dad for picking up your daughter a great gift and allowing her to prove her responsibly first hand rather than gauging her level of responsibility based on other people's experiences with their children.

We bought our daughter an iPad 2 for Christmas this year. She will be 8 years old in January. Did she need it? Probably not. Will she learn from it & enjoy it? Yes, we feel she will. She has been responsible with past electronics including an iPod touch 2nd & 4th gen. It has been a progression of trust & responsibly with her that we started at an early age. When she was 4 & started really showing an interest we gave her an iPod touch with a huge bulky case that she could use under our direct supervision. Over time she was taught how to take care of her devices & when it was appropriate to use them.
Even now, we have set limits on what she can & can't do with her devices. She is not allowed on YouTube, she must ask one of us to install apps, no online gaming, & if she want to use Facetime she has to use that feature when one of us is around to supervise.

We hope that by taking baby steps where technology & responsibility are concerned, we will have an easier time with her as she gets older and wants more independence.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Santa will be bringing my 13 year old daughter a white iPhone 5. This will be her first iDevice and first real phone. She wanted an iPod. For the price of that, the phone is a better choice and it will do so much more! Looking forward to seeing her gifts Christmas Day!

My 13 year old and 12 year old both got an iphone this Christmas.

My 12 year old got the iphone 5 , but my 13 year old didn't like it and wanted the 4S instead . (She's weird like that and doesn't care about the latest gadget)

I saved my ass off for over 6 months to be able to afford them.

They both have ipads from school. They don't get any pocket money, or allowance during the year, they don't have anything. Birthdays they get £100 and that's it.

At Christmas I do like to spoil them though. I have the iphone 5 too so it's handy knowing where they are ALL the time , terrible yes, but useful , I can keep my eye on their whereabouts and I can get hold of them when I need to.

Cheaper on birthdays too, just buy them an itunes voucher and be done with it.

I had one of the first cell phones to arrive in the UK when I was 15, begged my mum for ages to buy it. It was an ugly neon pink brick. I had to work a weekend job though and pay my own cell phone bill, and I had to look after the device.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It's the Ops choice to buy his daughter what he wants. But OP what was your point in telling us? Seems like a personal choice issue.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
It's the Ops choice to buy his daughter what he wants. But OP what was your point in telling us? Seems like a personal choice issue.

Because I was excited about the purchase and wanted to share it with people that might understand :)

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Your daughter is 13.. Let's be realistic here, when I was 13, I had a pager.

I hope she still doesn't believe in Santa.

I'm not going to hate, but at least you saved up for it. You learn to appreciate things better and as you grow up you understand money management.

When I was 13 I had a pad and pencil.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
My kid ended up with too much for a two-year-old!

When she's 13 though... it'll probably be ONE expensive thing and that's IT!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
My kid ended up with too much for a two-year-old!

When she's 13 though... it'll probably be ONE expensive thing and that's IT!

Yeah nice idea but it doesn't work out that way.

Yes you get one expensive present that's really wanted by your child,.... then you get a few smaller items and when the date gets closer you push the boat out again !!!

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
but what's the point with posting things you have sold? What are you trying to compensate for?

nothing? i dont see how attacking me for saying all of the devices i have owned is relevant. i was pointing out how it seemed a lot of people cared that the OP's daughter got an iPhone. not sure if you were upset because i poked a hole in your logic or what, but you shouldn't get so defensive. its unbecoming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.