Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
yeah and the powermac g3 beige was a powerful mac for its time

you don't see me trying to put 2007 snow leopard on it :eek:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Old mac's are a lot more usable in today's world than old PCs. Not to mention that an Old PC is a virus-magnet. Even windows XP, which wouldn't run well on that PC has security holes that will never be patched.

Not sure where you're getting this from but it's complete horse s***. Learn how to use a computer and you'll never have a problem with viruses. I never have and I've been using windows well over a decade. Viruses are no where near as big of an issue as many here would like you to believe. OSX is a very nice OS and I enjoy it but please; Don't spew crap around you obviously know nothing about. XP is 12 years old and still has two years of support left. It's still getting security patches. Not to mention a PC from 2000 can still run new, current software. Can a G3 do that? I think not. I'm not hating. Not at all. I just have a very low BS tolerance. No matter what platform is being discussed. I give credit where credit is due.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The YouTube-discussion: I guess people like YouTube because it's like TV, only filled with things you actually want to see. My personal favourite kind of youtube videos are tutorials, comedy and TEDtalks. And in this day and age, it really isn't a shock that a site like YouTube is widely appreciated. :)

The main discussion: I hooked up my iMac G3 a couple of months ago to use it as a Spotify-streamer but I couldn't get it to work so it went back in the basement. I love it, but it absolutely takes up to much space in regards to what it can do.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Not sure where you're getting this from but it's complete horse s***. Learn how to use a computer and you'll never have a problem with viruses. I never have and I've been using windows well over a decade. Viruses are no where near as big of an issue as many here would like you to believe. OSX is a very nice OS and I enjoy it but please; Don't spew crap around you obviously know nothing about. XP is 12 years old and still has two years of support left. It's still getting security patches. Not to mention a PC from 2000 can still run new, current software. Can a G3 do that? I think not. I'm not hating. Not at all. I just have a very low BS tolerance. No matter what platform is being discussed. I give credit where credit is due.

Every version of Windows is a virus/malware/spyware factory. Stop insulting people with off-topic nonsense.

----

Power PC Macs are still productive machines. They've been passed over by people wanting the newest, shiniest thing, but they are still productive and an excellent value for anyone on a budget who does not need to run the latest photo/video editing apps, etc.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Every version of Windows is a virus/malware/spyware factory. Stop insulting people with off-topic nonsense.

----

Power PC Macs are still productive machines. They've been passed over by people wanting the newest, shiniest thing, but they are still productive and an excellent value for anyone on a budget who does not need to run the latest photo/video editing apps, etc.

First, the user doesn't said nothing against PPC value or productiveness.
Second, over about 15years of windows I never had a single virus/spyware/malware.
And I might agree with the user, PC from that era can be more productive than PowerPC of that era, mainly because of 1 thing: software.
In a PC from 2000/2001 you can still run most update versions of software, try that in OUR G4.
Look at itunes, even that piece of junk software runs on Windows Xp (wich even a Pentium 3 can run nicelly) but not on 10.5..
Other thing, linux distros, for most guys here linux doesn't mean anything, but linux can even turn a pentium 1 on a usable computer.
Distros like puppy linux, deli linux,etc make wonders, most of those distros aren't available for PPC.
I love my G4, the money I spent on it could got me a nice Athlon 64 with a nice graphics card (maybe a Radeon X800 or Nvidia 6800), but I prefer the G4, it has more magic, but I can say for sure that a PC from that era can run much modern software.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I've had a pair of G3 iMacs on craigslist listed for $40 for about 9 months now and no takers. SO your $50 is a win.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
First, the user doesn't said nothing against PPC value or productiveness.
Second, over about 15years of windows I never had a single virus/spyware/malware.
And I might agree with the user, PC from that era can be more productive than PowerPC of that era, mainly because of 1 thing: software.
In a PC from 2000/2001 you can still run most update versions of software, try that in OUR G4.
Look at itunes, even that piece of junk software runs on Windows Xp (wich even a Pentium 3 can run nicelly) but not on 10.5..
Other thing, linux distros, for most guys here linux doesn't mean anything, but linux can even turn a pentium 1 on a usable computer.
Distros like puppy linux, deli linux,etc make wonders, most of those distros aren't available for PPC.
I love my G4, the money I spent on it could got me a nice Athlon 64 with a nice graphics card (maybe a Radeon X800 or Nvidia 6800), but I prefer the G4, it has more magic, but I can say for sure that a PC from that era can run much modern software.

I haven't needed to use Windows since 2006, so I don't have an informed opinion about it.

What I do know is that, doing heavy work in psychiatric research, first the iMac and then the iBook I'm now using, handled my work very well. I was recently "asked" to upgrade to a newer Windows or Intel Mac. When I demonstrated what my iBook could do (including SPSS), the "request" was rescinded.

My point is that, for many people, PowerPCs remain very useful rigs, even when they're not their main computers. I hope this remains the case in the foreseeable future. As you said, there is magic in these machines that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
A few months ago I challenged myself to a week with this and only this machine:

Compaq Presario 1200 laptop
Pentium II 266 mhz
192 MB RAM
2 MB video RAM
6 GB HD

Sounds like the beast i keep around for when i need a windows desktop:

Dual PII 550Mhz passively cooled
1GB PC133 RAM
32MB Nvidia
8GB Hdd (windows 2000)
8GB Hdd (Windows XP MCE)
8GB Hdd (Mandriva Linux)
2x hardware NTSC tuners
generic DVD-ROM

My specs are slightly better than your laptop, but I feel your pain. I used to run a pair of dual PIII 1Ghz, but the power supply died, and the only one I had didn't have enough wattage to run the PIIIs

----------

Hopefully that was a joke...

Win7 on a ~1999 computer...

I can run win7 on a PIII tualitin 1.3Ghz with 2GB ram and a 128MB Nvidia Ti just fine. It only scores a 1.0 on the performance test, but it does everything it should. Older windows boxes are more useful than old mac boxes in this way. I can install the latest iTunes on my tualatin, but not my G5.

----------

Same here. I will likely never understand why people have such a hard on for YouTube.

I had some problems playing the Lego LOTR demo, so I went onto youtube to see how to do it. That was probably the first time since the summer I used you tube. If I use it once a month that is pretty high for me.

Besides, if I am looking for something on youtube, it is likely a PowerPC howto or something, and I load it on my iPad so I can free up my screen on the PowerPC.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

Then you've never used a Windows machine connected to the Internet, or never had an anti-virus program that alerted you to the spyware/malware/virus/trojan's you were getting. EVERY Windows machine has a combination of spyware/malware/virus/trojans, even if the user is unaware of it. That's the nature of the beast. Windows is/was the dominant market leader, so all of the spyware/malware/virus/trojans are geared towards Windows. And that's not to mention that Windows is an archaic design that is easy to exploit. But now people can get infected simply by visiting a website - even well known, legitimate websites that get temporarily infected and do drive by infections on every visitor. So to say that Windows is bullet proof and you've never had any infection of any kind in the history of your Windows use is ridiculous. I'm not arguing with you personally, I'm disagreeing with your statement. If you've truly never had a problem with Windows malware/spyware/virus/trojans you are the only Windows user in existence in that position.

Let's not turn this into a Windows discussion, there is a separate forum for that.

My reply on the value of Power PC's was separated from my post about Windows. I'm not saying that poster was ripping Power PC's or saying they have no value. I was saying Power PC's are a nice value for many users. The Windows discussion is a separate argument, hence, my use of ------ separating the issues.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I've never unintentionally gotten a virus on my windows machines. That's with about 5 years of regular use. Also, my media centers have been continuously powered on and connected to the Internet since 2002, and no viruses. Blanket statements of any kind are usually incorrect.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
In late 2008, when the aluminum unibody MacBook was rumored to be released, I sold my polycarbonate MacBook and bought an old, cheap iMac G3 (for around $75 if I recall, but that included hefty shipping) and planned to use it for a couple weeks until the new MacBooks were released.

Now I don't know if you remember, but they were rumored and rumored and rumored...and I was waiting a couple months if not longer, using this G3 exclusively during the time. I also had a 2004 PC laptop, which might have been a bit faster for some things, but I still preferred the iMac G3 running 10.4 over the XP machine.

So, while it was a bit over four years ago, I've also done this "challenge." It wasn't always easy then (everything was a bit slow), but I can imagine it would be even harder now--not only was PPC better supported in 2008, but you have the usual things that happen as computers get faster and software gets more complicated so it about all evens out if you use newer hardware.

I'm still using that late 2008 unibody MacBook as my main machine and probably will for at least a couple more years as long as Apple supports it well enough. And I do still have that iMac G3--not sure if or how I'm ever going to get rid of that, because I'd really like to get it of my hands. :D

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I'm still using that late 2008 unibody MacBook as my main machine and probably will for at least a couple more years as long as Apple supports it well enough. And I do still have that iMac G3--not sure if or how I'm ever going to get rid of that, because I'd really like to get it of my hands. :D

I used a 2008 MBA until this fall. With only 2gb ram it was a total dog. I had difficulties running software on it. The unibody had a faster CPU and more ram available. I just hope I won't run into the same issue in 2016 when my 2012 MBA is four years old. Lol the defective MBA hinges was one of he best things to happen to me.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

ACHOO --- sorry, extreme BS allergy here.
Are you out of your mind? A 12 year old computer most certainly cannot run the latest PC software. Please - stop spewing crap as you put it. My G3 can infact run current software - tenfourfox, camino, and 3dtuxcart to name a few.

I give credit where credit is due - and the PPC era deserves some serious credit (Including the DEV community that still develops for these older machines!!)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
ACHOO --- sorry, extreme BS allergy here.
Are you out of your mind? A 12 year old computer most certainly cannot run the latest PC software. Please - stop spewing crap as you put it. My G3 can infact run current software - tenfourfox, camino, and 3dtuxcart to name a few.

I give credit where credit is due - and the PPC era deserves some serious credit (Including the DEV community that still develops for these older machines!!)

ummmm.gif

I don't even....

Forget it.

Last edited:

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I used a 2008 MBA until this fall. With only 2gb ram it was a total dog. I had difficulties running software on it. The unibody had a faster CPU and more ram available. I just hope I won't run into the same issue in 2016 when my 2012 MBA is four years old. ....

Yeah, I've "maxed" out the RAM in mine (6 GB, I believe, but apparently a previous update silently enabled it to handle 8 GB without crashing, so I might try that, not that I'd notice much of a difference) and replaced the HD with an SSD. Still pretty fast--I don't think I've ever held on to a computer as my primary machine for this long, but it's served me well so far.

I do, however, wonder when Apple will stop supporting it with OS upgrades. (Not that I need to upgrade, but I'm sure it will be tempting, and it's currently the lowest-generation in its product line still supported by 10.8.) Since I'm not a college student anymore, I think I could also get away with replacing it with a desktop, though possibly a Mac mini at this point since it seems be the only reasonably priced Apple product that's still somewhat upgradeable--and I've clearly taken advantage of that capability on my present machine over the years.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Unless desperate (or bored to death), I don't know why anyone would use a decade old computer for modern day computing stuff.

Go install SheepShaver and get your nostalgia trip done and over with (they usually only last about 10 minutes).

I don't even....

Forget it.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with that either.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Unless desperate (or bored to death), I don't know why anyone would use a decade old computer for modern day computing stuff.

Go install SheepShaver and get your nostalgia trip done and over with (they usually only last about 10 minutes).

It's fun... and sometimes people don't have hundreds of dollars lying around. I know that might be hard for you to understand, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

----------

I don't even....

Forget it.

Since you feel it appropriate to post GIFs -
tumblr_mdquu9wXoD1qj26eao1_400.gif

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California

Welcome to the Powerpc forum GimmieSack12

where the year is always 2003

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

You will only get viruses if you are doing bad things ;) I agree with you, both have pros and cons. Get an Intel mac and you'll get the best of two worlds :)

XP has been supported over the years and I think it has 2 more years of official support left. Leopard ran out of updates, but that doesn't mean it is useless :D

----------

I develop modern day web apps on a 12 years old computer... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.