Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
So how durable are the matte ones? My black glossy one cracked in two places (near power switch and bottom corner) and it hasn't even left the house or been removed so im not sure what happened. Luckily I bought from amazon so I have an RMA but I'm definitely not getting the non-matte again.

So does anyone have recommendations? I can't find an alternative shell that stays flush with the cover (they all have a huge lip) so im willing to get a matte one but im worried its going to be just as fragile if its the same material.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
So how durable are the matte ones? My black glossy one cracked in two places (near power switch and bottom corner) and it hasn't even left the house or been removed so im not sure what happened. Luckily I bought from amazon so I have an RMA but I'm definitely not getting the non-matte again.

So does anyone have recommendations? I can't find an alternative shell that stays flush with the cover (they all have a huge lip) so im willing to get a matte one but im worried its going to be just as fragile if its the same material.

That stinks!! Did it fall or bump something?? that seems like a hard thing to just snap on its own..

You bought from Amazon so like you said, you're covered to send it back but for what its worth Switcheasy has AMAZING customer service and a 2 year warranty on their case - I think the warranty is only valid if you purchase directly through them though - Amazon isn't an official seller.

I had an issue with a Switcheasy Canvas for my iPad 2 a few years ago and they took care of it for me. The case had cracked in the corner, I just had to send them pictures of the crack and they had a new one out to me overnight - Couldn't be happier and they won me over with that service.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone know if the CoverBuddy will fit with a back protector (invisible shield) on?

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I had the CoverBuddy (blue) on my iPad 3 for six months and had three replacements from SwtichEasy in that time for cracking on the corners. They were very good about replacing it and each time said the problems had been sorted, which they clearly hadn't.

Before I ordered the mini CoverBuddy I asked if it was the same material which to which they said yes. Made me hesitant about ordering, but the fit is normally excellent. I have the smoke version and so far no cracking to be seen.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
I had the CoverBuddy (blue) on my iPad 3 for six months and had three replacements from SwtichEasy in that time for cracking on the corners. They were very good about replacing it and each time said the problems had been sorted, which they clearly hadn't.

Before I ordered the mini CoverBuddy I asked if it was the same material which to which they said yes. Made me hesitant about ordering, but the fit is normally excellent. I have the smoke version and so far no cracking to be seen.

Is this issue true for the matte colored cases as well? Is the material the same or is it just for the smoke or clear versions? Thanks for the info.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Thanks to normwood and Boston Rhett for the pics, I've decided to order the dark grey as well to go with my white mini and red smart cover. The color combination looks great and is as close to Bama colors as I can get (since Apple don't sell a crimson smart cover). Roll Tide!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Can you post pictures of your clear cover?

I had the clear and couldn't stand it. You can see dust behind it and it shows scratches really easily. Go with the black if you must show through, otherwise go with one of the matte colors.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I had the clear and couldn't stand it. You can see dust behind it and it shows scratches really easily. Go with the black if you must show through, otherwise go with one of the matte colors.

I have white. It shows scratches on the cover?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I have white. It shows scratches on the cover?

I may be being nitpicky, but I could see scratches on it before I even put it on. Not deep ones, but more like swirl marks. I returned it for the black version, which I liked a lot more.

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I may be being nitpicky, but I could see scratches on it before I even put it on. Not deep ones, but more like swirl marks. I returned it for the black version, which I liked a lot more.

In the end, I went with Incipio's Feather since I don't use the Smart Cover.

Still have the clear one?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Still have the clear one?

Negative. I sent it back to SwitchEasy who were super cool about swapping it for the black one. Then I used the black one for bit, sold it, put an iCarbon on, took it off, and now I think I'm about to order another SwitchEasy. I just wished they had a black matte version. My problem now is deciding on a color. I've tried case after case and I think the SwitchEasy has been my favorite.

How's the white look? Does it get dirty easily?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Negative. I sent it back to SwitchEasy who were super cool about swapping it for the black one. Then I used the black one for bit, sold it, put an iCarbon on, took it off, and now I think I'm about to order another SwitchEasy. I just wished they had a black matte version. My problem now is deciding on a color. I've tried case after case and I think the SwitchEasy has been my favorite.

Oh alright, well thats good to know the company is understanding.

I'm the same way, I'm search for that perfect Mini case. Right now I'm rocking a Zagg invisibleshield back/front with Smart Cover and loving how the natural thinness of the iPad Mini.

As for the white goes, I've had a white iPhone since 3GS and never had issues with it getting dirty easy. I had the black Mini and it just collected finger prints which annoyed me, it's still a nice color don't get me wrong. Truthfully, I just like the color white, and watched to match my 4S. But to answer your question, no it doesn't get dirty easily.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
...But to answer your question, no it doesn't get dirty easily.

Sorry, I was thinking you had a white case. Yeah, I got the black one and it does attract fingerprints, but I prefer a black bezel over a white one. Thanks for your info though, I appreciate it.

Has anyone purchased any of the matte CoverBuddys that own a black iPad? All the pics I've seen have been white ones.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey

I'm (slmost) inthe same boat.. I hve the clear, and i LOVE the case, but the dust is really noticable. I was thining of buying the black one as well but haven't done it yet, I do wish there were a matte see-through version. The clear is sort of slippery theres no grip to it at all. I do have one scratch in the case - so I'm glad I have it and that took the abuse and not my iPad but thats also why I can't return/exchange it..

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I'm (slmost) inthe same boat.. I hve the clear, and i LOVE the case, but the dust is really noticable. I was thining of buying the black one as well but haven't done it yet, I do wish there were a matte see-through version. The clear is sort of slippery theres no grip to it at all. I do have one scratch in the case - so I'm glad I have it and that took the abuse and not my iPad but thats also why I can't return/exchange it..

Yes, that was one of my main issues with it. The dust just shows too easily. I even used canned air on it before putting it on my iPad, but that only seemed to help a little.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Got my dark grey Coverbuddy today. Love it! Love the port covers as well although I wish they were attached to the case somehow, have a feeling I'll lose both sets pretty quickly.

I've had my mini for a little over a week now and my original plan was to only use the smart cover and go naked on the back. Once I started taking the mini out of the house it started to feel fragile and I felt like I was tempting fate so, I decided to look for a back cover. Problem was, I love the smart cover and I loved how thin the mini is, that was one of the selling points over the iPad 4 for me. So, I needed a case that could work with the smart cover and not add much thickness. Coverbuddy fits the bill perfectly, doesn't add much thickness at all and the smart cover still works perfectly.

Also glad I read this thread because I was about to order the clear until I saw the pictures of the dark grey with the white mini / red smart cover (which I already had).

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Just found one negative but it really is just a small negative. If you are like me and have plenty of old 30 pin dock devices in you house, this case is not compatible with the 30 pin to lightning adapter. I doubt many cases are, it's something that didn't even cross my mind until I went to charge my iPad mini last night.

Doesn't make me regret buying the case, just a little annoying. Now I have to have 2 cables on my nightstand instead of one and the adapter. The iPad mini is the only lightning connector device in our house at the moment and I was really hoping to get away with using just the adapter on all the other 30 pin cables around the house. Now I need to go buy a few extra lightning cables, for the car and work. Oh well, should have known.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Can someone post some pics of the dark gray with a black mini? Actually any color on the black mini. Prob going to go with the dark gray that's why I asked.

TIA

I just ordered the Dark Gray to go with my Black mini and Red Smart Cover. If no one has posted pics by the time I get it, I'll post some for you.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 157
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 172
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 156
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.