Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I plan on purchasing my first tablet tomorrow, and i just can't decide between the 2. I found a place here that has a few 3rd gen iPad's in stock for $399.

For $70 more compared to the mini, is it really worth it?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
imo, Ipad 2 is better than ipad 3 and you should be able to find them at less than $399.

Or choose between Ipad mini and Ipad 4, they both have amazing battery. If Ipad mini vs Ipad 3, choose Ipad mini. Ipad 3 is a discontinued product.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I own both. I am typing on the iPad Mini right now while the larger, heavier iPad 3 sits by silently...... I love the iPad Mini and it does everything I want, but of course others' mileage may vary.... If I could have only one, I would go with the iPad Mini.......

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I own both. I am typing on the iPad Mini right now while the larger, heavier iPad 3 sits by silently...... I love the iPad Mini and it does everything I want, but of course others' mileage may vary.... If I could have only one, I would go with the iPad Mini.......

Completely agree with this. Once I got the Mini, my 3rd gen iPad hasn't been touched. I'd take a Mini over a retina iPad any day.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I'm actually amazed by your responses, i figured most people would recommend the 3rd gen. I'm leaning more towards the Mini after playing with one last week, but really couldn't decide if the retina display would make that much of a difference.

I plan on using it mostly for web content, videos, and gaming.

tboyd37

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
brownsville pa
while i don't own either at the time.. i like the feel & look of the iPad mini.. its not to bulky but for the $ i think it packs a pretty nice punch... except for the lack of retna display.. but thats your call... its gonna come down to do u want the larger screen & retina display or not.. alot of the other specs are pretty comparable

snapcracklenpop

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
The mini is a wonderful choice! So what if the screen doesn't have retina? The form factor is simply amazing. The bulk of the iPad is a big hindrance to portability, when compared to a mini. The pricepoint is relatively fair; you are paying for quality hardware and also just because it's an apple product. However, it's a great investment. Definitely worth considering! Many people have converted from iPads to minis! You should too!

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I have both... As of today. Scratch that my hubby now has a iPad 3 and I have a mini. I miss the retina screen a little for the super clean txt but I'm in LOVE with the size. I think it's really just a size/weight issue. What you like might not be right for the next person.

Now if I could just figure out why my cellular data doesn't work I'd be all set.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you have other Apple products that have the 30-pin connector go with the iPad 3.

If you have the iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, etc. go with the Mini which also has a Lightening connector.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I'm currently an iPad 3 owner considering getting a Mini.

From my own experience scouring the net, reading Mini reviews & reading posts on this forum in an effort to help me decide I can say with confidence that everybody has a different opinion on which of these is better. It's not likely we can help you make an informed decision.

Your best bet would be to go to an Apple Store & spend some time trying both out. (I know the iPad 3 is discontinued & wouldn't be there, but the 4 is near identical in regular usage)

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
After playing around with them, I felt for what I'd be using it for, the 3 more suited my needs, couldn't pass up the beautiful screen.

Thanks for the opinions though guys! Hopefully I don't regret it

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I had Ipad mini, 3 and 4. I just needed 2 of them. Now I have 3 and 4. I see no difference 3 or 4 , but charging cables. I didn't like mini. This is only my opinion.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I loved the ipad 2 and used it enough around the house to keep it. But now that I have the mini I find myself taking it everywhere. It's so much easier to carry and fits in my jacket pocket. Not sure what I'll do in the summer.

Haven't used the ipad 2 since the mini came so I passed it on to my mom. They are both great, but it comes down to what are the reason for use...

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This kinda depends on your usage. You are asking whether to buy a a 2 door sports car or a mini van. Do you have kids? Do you need to haul a lot of people/stuff? Depending on your usage patterns and needs, pick the tool most appropriate for YOU.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I returned my iPad 4 for the mini...if that tells you anything...

I did the same exact thing. The retina display is awesome, but the size and weight really take away from the experience. Yes, the mini isn't as powerful or as high resolution, but it's just so much funner to use and due to it's profile and weight, you'll want to use it more.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
After playing around with them, I felt for what I'd be using it for, the 3 more suited my needs, couldn't pass up the beautiful screen.

Thanks for the opinions though guys! Hopefully I don't regret it

I think you made a great choice. I love the larger size and retina screen. Increased portability would be nice but not at the expense of the beautiful retina screen. And while Apple devices hold their value better than others, I would never describe the iPad 3 or the mini as a great investment. Hope you love your iPad 3.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm actually amazed by your responses, i figured most people would recommend the 3rd gen. I'm leaning more towards the Mini after playing with one last week, but really couldn't decide if the retina display would make that much of a difference.

I plan on using it mostly for web content, videos, and gaming.

Based upon this, your decision for the ipad 3 is the better choice. Web content on the Mini especially in portrait isn't very good and gaming and video is better on the 3rd gen as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.