Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese site TGBus reports [Google translation, via Mobilegeeks.de] that Apple and Intel are currently working together on a Bluetooth-enabled smart watch. According to the report, the watch will include a 1.5-inch OLED display from RITEK subsidiary RiTdisplay and will launch in the first half of next year.

sony_smartwatch_pebble.jpg
Sony SmartWatch (left) and Pebble e-paper watch (right)
Full details on Apple's smart watch are unknown, but the report compares Apple's project to Sony's SmartWatch, although it notes that Apple's Siri voice assistant will provide for greater integration with the iPhone in allowing users to take phone calls directly through the watch.

There are of course other smart watches taking advantage of the low-power Bluetooth 4.0 standard hitting the market as well, with one of the most highly anticipated ones being the Pebble e-paper watch that raised over $10 million on Kickstarter. But while the Pebble team has continued to give regular updates on its development progress, the watch has yet to begin shipping.

Article Link: Apple and Intel Working on Bluetooth Smart Watch for 2013 Launch?

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I call BS.

Nobody wants wearable electronics. They seem useful in most people's imagination, but in reality they're not extremely practical (especially since you need your phone with you anyway).

• Haha
Reactions: aylk and didaho

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Clock, alarms, Siri; notification center; weather, stock updates, answer phone calls, control music playback ... So many possibilities for leaving iPhone in my pocket.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Colour me interested. I've got a Pebble coming from that Kickstarter campaign (whenever they ship). The idea of a little device to communicate with my bigger devices seems really cool to me. It'd be much easier to quickly glance at my watch for SMS messages and caller ID, and for music controls than having to dig out my phone or the remote section of the earphones from under a scarf.

Polansky

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Clock, alarms, Siri; notification center; weather, stock updates, answer phone calls, control music playback ... So many possibilities for leaving iPhone in my pocket.

So you really enjoy the fact that the everybody in your surrounding can hear your phone conversation while speaking against your watch....

I see Apple going downhill entering a niche market as nobody wears watches anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: aylk

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I call BS.

Nobody wants wearable electronics. They seem useful in most people's imagination, but in reality they're not extremely practical (especially since you need your phone with you anyway).

Believe it or not it is still frowned upon to pull your phone out in many situations. This allows you to just do a quick glance at your wrist and not have to take out your phone. I wear a watch every day, always have. Also when you're strolling through the crappy parts of the city it's a bad idea to have your phone out.

I am all for this. I bought a meta watch since the pebbles weren't out yet. It's a little weird at first but I find it very useful, especially at work. I can glance at my wrist and gauge from there whether or not that particular notification demands immediate attention or not. The watch battery lasts several days and the impact on the iPhone battery is minimal.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I have a Pebble kickstarter preordered. Their final build is nearly complete, so they should start ramping up production relatively soon.

That said, I'm very intrigued by an Apple stab at this market.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

This. Pebble is like a lottery ticket. The fantasy and hope distract you from the fact that you are a sucker. They are learning to be engineers and I helped pay for their education.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Got my attention. The Martian watches have caught my eye, but I'd really just like a full color pebble with a mic.

I see Apple going downhill entering a niche market as nobody wears watches anymore.

I must live on the moon then. I own several, wear one daily, and know quite a few others that do the same. We aren't even office workers/Teachers/Etc.

clownie

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Interesting

Maybe mission creep, but they are missing a bet if it doesn't have GPS to use as an exercise watch. Would replace an existing non Apple gadget for a lot of users...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.