Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mrlogo.png
The iPhone and iPad tend to dominate the rumor scene for a number of reasons. Most signficantly, the total audience for iOS devices is larger and growing more rapidly than for Macs. Apple's Mac line has of course also been growing, but at a much slower pace. Also, given the maturity of the line, changes in the Mac line tend to be more incremental.

Still, looking back, we've seen a fair number of Mac-related leaks that preceded each product launch.

Perhaps the most reliable leaks have been from benchmark suites such as Geekbench, as we've seen benchmark leaks of unreleased Mac products several times now. These have all turned out to be accurate predictors of final Mac releases, sometimes with a several month lead time.

Here are some of the photo leaks we saw in 2012 for the Mac:

13" MacBook Pro

This pre-WWDC 13" MacBook Pro leak revealed that the 13" MacBook Pro would see little in the way of upgrades. Despite many comments about the easy fake-ability of the leak, the image turned out to be accurate. The 13" MacBook Pro wouldn't see Retina upgrades until later in 2012.

15" MacBook Pro

This 15" MacBook Pro logic board shot showed that Apple was switching to NVIDIA GPUs ahead of the launch. It also showed hints that Apple was keeping the current MacBook Pro design around, as the layout was identical to existing models.

iMac

imac_2012_internals.jpg
iMac internals and design - October 2012​
This was the first we heard of the newly redesigned iMac, which was described as "considerably thinner than the current form factor".
The redesigned iMac is said to be considerably thinner than the current form factor, with the machine's thickness almost impossible to gauge when viewed from the side. The curved rear shell is also said to appear more like a water droplet than the squared-off design seen in the current model.
13" Retina MacBook Pro

This was our first look at the thinner 13" Retina MacBook Pro and showed the various ports and 2560x1600 resolution of the new machine.

MacBook Pro and Retina Lineups

From an informational perspective, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shown that he has had a clear view of Apple's timeline and has been able to report accurately on that topic. Kuo was the first to suggest in June that Apple was going to create a separate line of MacBook Pros with Retina displays while keeping the existing product line in place.

Some of the responses in the discussion thread at the time were of disbelief:
That's stupid.

If the new Macbook line is as powerful as the Pro line, WHY keep the Pro line? What advantage does the Pro offer? A CD drive? Not exactly tempting in today's day and age. I'd rather take thinner and retina over a stupid CD drive, especially since it looks like it will be priced cheaper than a pro.

Just Axe the old Pro line and rebrand the new Pro line as this thinner/Retina one.
Of course, Apple did splinter the line by introducing a new (more expensive) "Retina" line of MacBook Pro products. Kuo also predicts that Apple will reintegrate the line in 2013, offering a single 13" and 15" MacBook Pro line with Retina displays and doing away with the non-Retina Macbook Pros that are currently being offered.

Mac Pro: Not Dead Yet

Finally, perhaps the most encouraging bit of news from the year for some was the promise that the Mac Pro will see an update in 2013. Tim Cook even responded to a an email from a concerned Mac Pro user. In the email response:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Article Link: 2012's Biggest Mac Leaks and Rumors

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Cook really said "later next year" for the Mac Pro? Man... I'd be mad if I needed a new Mac Pro and had to wait a year possibly.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Funny that the "most encouraging" rumor is the most nebulous and tagged "not dead yet." I'd love to see Apple come out with a new computer that's in between the iMac and current Mac Pro.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Funny that the "most encouraging" rumor is the most nebulous and tagged "not dead yet." I'd love to see Apple come out with a new computer that's in between the iMac and current Mac Pro.

You mean like the whispered "mid tower" Mac? I like that idea. But, to be honest, the Mac Mini has some serious horsepower.

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
macbook pro line integration

Any word on what will happen with the price of a macbook pro when they are going to integrate the product line?

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
There is a lack of excitement about apple releases now. Whats the point in looking forward to rehash of last years products.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Cook really said "later next year" for the Mac Pro? Man... I'd be mad if I needed a new Mac Pro and had to wait a year possibly.

Yeah, I'm finally at the point I need to look at the dark side. I'm running some 64-bit software and my 5-year old MacPro continually has it's pipes clogged. Once that tax return check comes, there better be some strong indicators of hardware soon.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Is it time for a return of the Cube?

A silent workstation class computer in between the current Mini and Pro, with easy expandability, running silently. If they make one, count me in.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Not gonna happen, I think.

Personally, I'd love to see a full-blown MacPro on steroids. I can see them scaling down the overall form factor tho.

prfrma

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
iMac was a pretty big win - I don't think I saw any correct rumours about the new form factor.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The 2011 MacMini, model MC816XX/A had a AMD Radeon 6630M option, albeit with 256 MB of VRAM.

I meant a desktop variant that could upgraded down the road ala the mac pro :)

even if it has to be 'mac flashed' or whatever the term is for the mac compatible vid cards on ebay.

no mobile chips!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I meant a desktop variant that could upgraded down the road ala the mac pro :)

even if it has to be 'mac flashed' or whatever the term is for the mac compatible vid cards on ebay.

no mobile chips!

In a Mac Mini... keep dreaming, not happening.

The 2011 Mac Mini still had discrete graphics, no matter how you slice it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
In a Mac Mini... keep dreaming, not happening.

yea, Im not debating that.

Just saying macs are a nobuy for me until they have upgradable desktop discrete graphics.

I can't justify the price tag on the current mac pro.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
loopy

That purple loop pile carpet (or rug or whatever it is) upon which is a part of a finished Macbook pro, with the rest of it tantalisingly out of frame is as burned into my brain as any of the most famous iconic photos of the 20th century.

----------

I

The the graphics card that it did have was a mobile model, no matter how you slice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.