Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SJBMusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I wear a watch ($10 watch from a big box store :rolleyes:) but I'd love to be able to glance down to see if someone has tried to contact me.

I work in a place with a fair amount of noise and distraction. I miss calls, texts and emails every day.

This rumor could be true, and could explain the change in size of the Nano, which I was certain that one day it could be able to connect to an iOS device.

I was in the "My iPhone became my watch 4 years ago" camp until I read this post. Missed calls and texts available on my wrist? I may have to think about wearing a watch again. My wife will surely buy it for me - she's most of my missed calls, and not deliberately! She just happens to call when I've walked away from my desk at work (with phone on Mute) or while I'm driving home and forgot to unMute. Then I *still* have to go to the corner store for milk. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy it for myself to save that hassle.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I'd buy it day one. I own a couple of watches and I wear one every day. A smart watch made by Apple would fit my lifestyle perfectly alongside my other Apple gadgets.

Glancing at your watch to see missed calls or texts alongside the time would have a huge upside.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I'd like a combination of the current Nike thing and an actual watch.

Show the time/weather fine…. but also display calories burned and what not.

I'm a huge fan of the way bluetooth has evolved over the years.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'll be watching to see what Apple has in store. :p On a serious note though, I'd probably buy an Apple branded watch if the price is right.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It could be a new "iFuelBand" type of device.

I've got a Nike FuelBand and if Apple combined it with proper iFunctionality, that would be exciting.

Wearable fitness is the future.

I'd like a combination of the current Nike thing and an actual watch.

Show the time/weather fine…. but also display calories burned and what not.

I'm a huge fan of the way bluetooth has evolved over the years.

Yeah I mentioned this on the page before.

It would make perfect sense. Tim Cook loves his Nike Fuelband, and sits on their board.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really, if this comes to be, I'll start seriously questionning whether Apple just looks at what Sony does and then ship their own version of it. Chiclet keyboard, MacBook Air and now a watch that connects and extends your phone.

Even if Apple makes this popular for some reason, seems to be a gadget fad more than anything else. Don't see many people running around with Sony LiveViews for their Android handsets even though it's only like 25$ :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Liveview-display-Android/dp/B004E2V4NM

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
The next big thing?

There is so much potential on a small wearable computer on the arm, call it watch. Then discontinuing the previous iPod nano makes sense.

I can see Apple next year: "the year when we release the smallest Apple computer (watch) and the biggest Apple computer (iTV) together".

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
because so many of us look at our [non-existant] watch instead of our iphone to tell the time............ :confused:

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Watch phone

Combine the phone right into the watch instead of having to carry around the phone as well. If the watch unfolded it could be almost the same size as an iphone anyway. Maybe a detachable earpiece for bluetooth conversation? Or even on a retractable cord ipod style connection. This is needed soon Apple-I do hope it's your next "one more thing"!
Have it be able to swivel on the wrist-or even again the whole thing is a detachable iphone watch. Carrying around this thing in our pockets and putting them down and misplacing them is a pain.
Another option might be to sell a line of shoes that have the phone parts embedded in the heel-so more functionality is available to the watch via bluetooth-partner with NIKE?

Gadgetzz

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Imagine

Having turn by turn directions on your watch! Don't have to look at phone. Much safer driving I think. Also watch makers are adding mfg capacity. How bout designing your own watch face. People critical of Pebble don't understand the process involved in developing such a device. GPS in the watch? It's in the phone, the car and they already have watches like that but not with turn by turn. :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
The next big thing?

iPad-watch.jpg

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This would explain for me the reason why the changed the style of the nano.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Really, if this comes to be, I'll start seriously questionning whether Apple just looks at what Sony does and then ship their own version of it. Chiclet keyboard, MacBook Air and now a watch that connects and extends your phone.

Even if Apple makes this popular for some reason, seems to be a gadget fad more than anything else. Don't see many people running around with Sony LiveViews for their Android handsets even though it's only like 25$ :

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-Liveview-display-Android/dp/B004E2V4NM

Let's count the brand names and product placements here:

1. Sony
2. Sony LiveViews
3. Android
4. Sony Ericcson with product link
5. Amazon

Nice job.

[Update: I forgot to mention Chiclet. Nice gum, Chiclets.]

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
threw away watch when i bought the first iPhone

well if this proves out to be true, Apple is moving backwards...

Blomkvist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
North Carolina
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

I'm a Pebble backer as well, but I don't fault the Pebble team for the delays. Their project went way beyond their initial goal (their target was $100,000 or about 1,000 watches...they raised over $10 million or over 100,000 watches).

Also, no, Apply could not produce a "better" product in just a couple of days. Apple would spend years designing and manufacturing.

You also have to give the Pebble team credit: we get regular updates on what is happening so that it's clear that work is moving forward. Sure, it would be great to know the ship date...but I don't want to see it stated and then missed. Better to be sure before committing.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I regret backing pebble every single day. It has taken them so long to figure out production when Apple can make something 10x better in just a couple of days. The pebble guys had a great idea and a great vision, but they were obviously in way over their heads. If this story is true my I won't even open the box before I put the pebble up on craigslist or ebay.

I think you nailed it. I feel the same way about that other Kickstarter project (universal charger) that got funded but they're pulling out. They blamed Apple (the Lightning connector), but I suspect they ran into other problems.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
I would buy an Apple watch, given the kinds of things they could do with their single unified ecosystem.

iMessage on watch; watch-screen formatted apps on the app store. Reminders. Much much better than having to take your phone out your pocket to check the time. I would imagine it wouldn't be just an ipod shuffle in a chunky metal strap, oh no. Something far sleeker.

Holding your watch to your mouth Dick Tracey style to get it to remind you to do something tomorrow...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Let's count the brand names and product placements here:

1. Sony
2. Sony LiveViews
3. Android
4. Sony Ericcson with product link
5. Amazon

Nice job.

[Update: I forgot to mention Chiclet. Nice gum, Chiclets.]

The Sony stuff sas mentionned and even pictured in the main article ... Otherwise did you have anything to contribute to the thread or are you just bickering again ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.