Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I got my iMac before the Christmas. Today is the first working day so I was able to buy the seagate backup plus 3 TB with usb3 for time machine.
During the back up process, the machine restarted several times and finally does not boot any more.
I tried to detect the problem.
It shows "invalid key length (4,142)", which means I have already had a failing internal hard drive.
I contacted the apple support immediately so they provided me a case number for repairing. But I said I would request an exchange instead because I do not want my brand new machine being opened. The exchange department was closed at that moment so they said they will contact me tomorrow morning.
Now I am transferring the files from the computer to the external hard disk.
Really Really Sad!:mad:
------------------------------

I have ordered the replacement because they promise me to put me on the first priority. The shipment will still be January, no particular date. Tne dead comuter will be collected by TNT when they bring the new one to me.

Last edited:

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
So your sad because apple said they would fit it, and quiet possibly replace it.
Ya, that's.... Horrible. Apple just sucks

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
So your sad because apple said they would fit it, and quiet possibly replace it.

You will be happy with any hardware failure on your brand new machine, just because somebody will fix it, right?

Great logic!

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I think his point is that they are not charging you and u can still just replace the entire machine or return it if u dont want it anymore because of that failure

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012

They repair or exchange it. That is their obligation. Why should anyone appreciate it?

I came back from my holiday the 24th, got the machine one day after from my wife's mother.

So the computer was first booted in the Christmas day. Today is the 27th, hard ware failure comes even before I finish the first time backup. They won't pay for the data recovery at all because I clicked agree to take the data loss risk upon my own while I was starting using the Mountain Lion.

I will never be happy with this. I am not insane!

petece

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Nowhere did he say Apple sucks. He's bummed because his new toy is not working, like any reasonable person would be.

Sorry to hear man!

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I think his point is that they are not charging you and u can still just replace the entire machine or return it if u dont want it anymore because of that failure

Is this the reason for me to be happy or what?
I did not judge Apple at all. What is wrong with people?

----------

Nowhere did he say Apple sucks. He's bummed because his new toy is not working, like any reasonable person would be.

Sorry to hear man!

Thank you for the understanding.

I love apple products. All my computer related gears at home are from Apple. My wife and I are owning 2 iPhone 5s, one ipad 2, one iPad 3. My wife is using the last gen's macbook, I was using a 2008 macbook pro before I got this iMac. Our wireless root is apple's airport extreme.

I love this company. It has provided me much more conveniences than any other companies. That is why I am here to tell you my iMac's story.

Sorry, I am just really sad...

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
just say you want it exchanged and if they say no we are gonna fix it instead then just go take it back and say the computer is not for you i want my 14 day money back return hahaha. Wait 10 minutes then go buy a new one off them and ask for them to clap on the way out for your new mac purchase! lmao

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
just say you want it exchanged and if they say no we are gonna fix it instead then just go take it back and say the computer is not for you i want my 14 day money back return hahaha. Wait 10 minutes then go buy a new one off them and ask for them to clap on the way out for your new mac purchase! lmao

I took both options. Coz I read the 27" delivery threads very often. I do not want to wait another one month.:(

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010

Wouldn't you be sad if your new imac with all the stuff you spent time setting up just went dead, not only did you lose your data but also have to waste time deal with support shipping this giant thing back and forth.

OP was being very civil & didnt rant on apple, i would have said much worse if my new imac died like that.

Apple should be coming to his house and fix/replace it for him right away. Asking for a new replacement in this situation is very reasonable, i would accept nothing less either, and they should bump him to the top of the order list.

Last edited by a moderator:

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Wouldn't you be sad if your new imac with all the stuff you spent time setting up just went dead, not only did you lose your data but also have to waste time deal with support shipping this giant thing back and forth.

OP was being very civil & didnt rant on apple, i would have said much worse if my new imac died like that.

Apple should be coming to his house and fix/replace it for him right away. Asking for a new replacement in this situation is very reasonable, i would accept nothing less either, and they should bump him to the top of the order list.
Thanks a lot for your words.

Actually I have sth bitching.

When I was discussing the data recovery issue with the Apple's customer support, even with the top supervisor, that guy (name: Emil Frisk) told me the third part reparation would charge me some fee (I live in Denmark, there is no apple store here, yet.). I was really pissed because the computer did not even allow me to back up. I had all my holiday pictures, which I took from Madeira, a beautiful island, in the computer. But they said they cannot help me with that.

After that, I was really upset because I have to choose between money and the pics. But, when I looked at the disk utility again, there is a function called "restore". I used the brand new 3t disk I just bought today as the destination disk and restored every thing on it. More than 120 GB, took only 25 min with usb3!

I even double checked to confirm all the files are already transferred onto the external drive. The result is positive.

SO apparently, the conclusion is, from this story, Apple's customer support sucks! (At least from Denmark) They know less than a customer. Even the top supervisor is so unprofessional!

Last edited by a moderator:

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
I am confused with the info given in this thread

if the HDD has failed ( fusion drive ) how are you able to boot the mac ( maybe with ext drive ) and access the failed HDD to retrieve the data

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Wow, talk about the worst of luck...and it is my understanding that when it comes to Apple in nations that don't have an official offline store like the US or Japan, service seems to be tackled by another company. At least that is the case here in Korea.

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I am confused with the info given in this thread

if the HDD has failed ( fusion drive ) how are you able to boot the mac ( maybe with ext drive ) and access the failed HDD to retrieve the data

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot
Many methods here.

----------

Wow, talk about the worst of luck...and it is my understanding that when it comes to Apple in nations that don't have an official offline store like the US or Japan, service seems to be tackled by another company. At least that is the case here in Korea.

The telephone service is still under apple I guess. But part of the repair will be transferred to a third part. The third part in Denmark does really have a very negative customer review. I also assume my gear can be the first physical 2012 27" iMac for them to check. Replacement can be a better option.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I took both options. Coz I read the 27" delivery threads very often. I do not want to wait another one month.:(

yeah, mine is still processing. I have considered cancelling it to get something else (PC) but I already ordered the RAM from OWC so just have to sit tight.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
How dare you talk about Apple that way! J/K. That's what it sounds like though, right? I mean, I like Apple. But when did speaking against bad service warrant flamming? WTF?! :mad:

Anyway I'm considering getting this same machine soon. I will need to order it online since I want to do some upgrades to it. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Unlucky, I guess they can't get every imac right though...would personally insist on a brand new imac....sucks that they would charge you for repair though, that should be apple picking up the tab for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.