Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Hello,

I bought a protective film for my iPad mini. The guy in the shop put it on for me. However, I noticed that the film covers the front mic. He told me this doesn't matter.

Is Is it okay to cover the Mic?

Thanks,

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
Try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, then peel the film back a little and cut an appropriate slot/hole.

Job done:)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
If you intend to use that mic for anything you care about, I wouldn't leave it covered. I'm sure it will "work", just like a camera with greasy finger prints on the lens will work, but not like it's supposed to.

Regards,
Tom

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Hello,

I bought a protective film for my iPad mini. The guy in the shop put it on for me. However, I noticed that the film covers the front mic. He told me this doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Front mic on the mini? Where?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
^Exactly.

Hello,

Thanks,

There's no front mic on the mini. What are you talking about?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
^Exactly.

There's no front mic on the mini. What are you talking about?

Thank you.

----------

Hello,

Thanks,

It's definitely ok to cover the front mic, especially since it doesn't exist.

ant2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Maybe I am wrong about the mic being next to the front facing camera (left side of the camera)

It looked like a mic. However, I think it could be a sensor instead.

Correct me if I am wrong.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
my suggestion, lose the protective film. Its useless.

I find the protection to be quite useful.

I would suggest that you get the new Invisishield protector. The new 'backs' have cutouts built in for the new mic on the AIR and mini w/ retina. My local mall has a kiosk, and they install it for your right there. Otherwise, you can get it from Amazon or their website. Just make sure that you get the correct one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.