Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
That's tough. This is why I, personally, always buy the second iteration of Apple phones (3GS, 4S, 5S, etc.) -- by the time they release the second iteration, they will have had time to smooth out the hardware defects and flaws (remember the death grip issues with iPhone 4? Remember the scuffgate with iPhone 5?)

This way, I get to both enjoy a newer and usually much more improved phone with incrementally improved hardware/software, but I also don't have to bare the risks of owning a beta Apple product. Hardware takes longer to correct than software.

Patience really does pay off!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Unnecessary drama. He's holding on to this phone so he can complain about it when he could easily swap it out.
I'd say the thread should end here, but I have one more question:

In your OP, you say you're "considering going back to your 4S". Why don't you? Do you honestly prefer holding onto a clearly problematic device when you have, wait, not one, but three other cellular devices to choose from (all of which run the current OS)?
Being a 16 year old must be more difficult than I remember.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Apple boy, if you noticed the phone was chipped right out the box. Why did you even buy it or return it the same day?

Because it was a meniscal defect that I could deal with.

----------

OP....did you not notice these "issues" immediately when you got your phone?

Why did you not take it back right away? I would think that you would have noticed the dust in the lens with the first picture you took and also the scratches right out of the box?

Just curious why you waited so long.:confused:

Honestly, the dust wasn't there until November. At first it was just one dark circle and then over time it evolved to like 8 circles now.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now. :mad: :( :mad:

I get it now. You wanted a different color too. They don't exchange for different color. I hope you didn't tell her that. You would have got your money back, and they you would have to order a white phone and wait for it. After 30 days, you get a black phone for a black phone as a replacement.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now. :mad: :( :mad:

depends where you bought it. i think both at&t and verizon's return policies are 14 days, but apple's is 30. since you're well outside that window anyway, i think your best bet is to go to an apple store and get a replacement under warranty. just don't go in all angry, and i'm sure they'll treat you right.

further, in case you were wondering, they will not let you swap for a different color phone, so don't bother asking.

Last edited:

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I didn't even mention the color swap until after I listed all the problems so honestly that shouldn't have been a reason to stop them from mentioning that I can return it. Oh well, I guess it's bad to actually rant about a real problem. I am going to get a replacement but the fact that any of this happened is depressing. I put up with these problems so long because at the start it was all meniscal and I didn't want to bother Apple while they were very busy. Oh well, I guess I'll never rant again.

P.S. I woke up an hour ago, took my phone off the charger, put it in my pocket and now an hour later I am down to 59% without even using it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I'm amazed you kept this phone for 3 months. I would not have been so patient. Luckily, Apple still has the best return policy. So you will get a replacement, and if that one is bad, you can get another and another, and so on.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I didn't even mention the color swap until after I listed all the problems so honestly that shouldn't have been a reason to stop them from mentioning that I can return it. Oh well, I guess it's bad to actually rant about a real problem. I am going to get a replacement but the fact that any of this happened is depressing. I put up with these problems so long because at the start it was all meniscal and I didn't want to bother Apple while they were very busy. Oh well, I guess I'll never rant again.

P.S. I woke up an hour ago, took my phone off the charger, put it in my pocket and now an hour later I am down to 59% without even using it.
You're ignoring my early post, which is fine. This might surprise you, but all Apple products come with a one year warranty, called AppleCare. Here's the link to arrange an appointment at an Apple retail store.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
Otherwise, you can call Apple to arrange a replacement.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I say rant all you want. I don't blame you. Often times threads like these can be used against Apple when calling AppleCare and they play dumb as if they have never before heard of the issue you are having. Point out a thread and they usually have to backtrack. I've done this in the past on the Apple boards. I do think the 5S will have far fewer issues, but who knows. That doesn't mean those of us that invested in the 5 should suffer, however. I'm dealing with QC issues as we speak, and I'll go through as many replacements as necessary until I get a device I'm pleased with.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
You're ignoring my early post, which is fine. This might surprise you, but all Apple products come with a one year warranty, called AppleCare. Here's the link to arrange an appointment at an Apple retail store.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
Otherwise, you can call Apple to arrange a replacement.

I'm not trying to be rude but I know what AppleCare is! I have owned an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now a 5 and I have had each phone replaced at least once because of a defect. My point is that even though I could get a replacement iPhone quickly and easily I SHOULDN'T NEED TO. The iPhone should come out of the factory at least somewhat not defective. If you couldn't read my signature i have many Apple products and I definitely know ehat AppleCare is and how it functions. And to those asking I feel better now that I have ranted. :D

Firestrife

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Miami
Dude Apple products are still made by people and there are tolerances. You can't expect every product of theirs to be perfect. It seems like you can't believe that a product from Apple has a problem. While it sucks that it happened to you, just get it replaced and boom you're done. Welcome to reality quit yer belly aching.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Quality Control has not improvement. I waited a few months hoping that Apple would get their act together. How wrong I was for making that assumption.

Well, the phone JUST launched in many places. I think you'll have to give it a bit more time.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Most other companies (notably Samsung & Motorola), at least in my past experiences, haven't had these kinds of problems with any recent launches of their smartphone devices. So why does Apple continue to struggle with the releases of their flagship device, the iPhone? It seems like this stuff should be worked out before mass production begins. Now, I definitely love the iPhone 5, and that's why I'm on my fourth phone, but something has gotta give here. Or does Apple bank on the idea that eventually people will get tired of playing the swap game and just settle on a subpar product? At this point I'm not sure.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?

Beause that's the society we live in now-a-days..... there are a lot of people that don't take personal responsibility (not returning an item OP was not satisfied with within the alloted amount of time) and add on top of that the fact that a lot of people like to blog about their life as if others care and you get OP's "rant".

IF you were not satisfied with your device you should of returned it. You are a salesmans favorite customer. You willingly gave up your money, were not satisfied yet came on a forum months later to "rant" when all you had to do was return the device. Self caused problem should = anger at self not apple.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Beause that's the society we live in now-a-days..... there are a lot of people that don't take personal responsibility (not returning an item OP was not satisfied with within the alloted amount of time) and add on top of that the fact that a lot of people like to blog about their life as if others care and you get OP's "rant".

IF you were not satisfied with your device you should of returned it. You are a salesmans favorite customer. You willingly gave up your money, were not satisfied yet came on a forum months later to "rant" when all you had to do was return the device. Self caused problem should = anger at self not apple.

Let's not go overboard on the OP. Apple definitely bears some of the responsibility here. This isn't an issue that only he has experienced. But yeah, calling Apple or going to an Apple Store would be more productive. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. He isn't the only one Apple screwed over with a less than acceptable iPhone 5.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Let's not go overboard on the OP. Apple definitely bears some of the responsibility here. This isn't an issue that only he has experienced. But yeah, calling Apple or going to an Apple Store would be more productive. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. He isn't the only one Apple screwed over with a less than acceptable iPhone 5.

If it wasn't accaptable he should of returned it and not wait until his time was long up before his "rant". I agree apple should exchange r/t supposed dust in camera but of course we only have OP's side of the story. I have had several 3g/3gs's replaced r/t dust under glass so I know how annoying it can be.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm amazed you kept this phone for 3 months. I would not have been so patient. Luckily, Apple still has the best return policy. So you will get a replacement, and if that one is bad, you can get another and another, and so on.

Wait, that's "the best return policy"? That's how return policies are for everything.

I've had multiple replacements from Apple, Dell and Sony.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
fake post... many trolls

Lmfao, why is this a fake post? Because I posted that I was displeased with Apple? Okay. Why would a "troll" buy 4 iPhones, an iPad, TV, a MacBook Pro, and other Apple accessories if I didn't like Apple? Everyone is right, I should have gotten a replacement right away, however I didn't want to bother Apple because they were extremely busy(Christmas season and they just launched many products) and considering I'm only 16 I couldn't just drive an hour up to the nearest Apple store by myself. With that said, I am getting a replacement soon and everything will be okay, but simply because I can easily get a replacement doesn't mean I should just act like their quality control was great.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I'm not trying to be rude but I know what AppleCare is! I have owned an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now a 5 and I have had each phone replaced at least once because of a defect. My point is that even though I could get a replacement iPhone quickly and easily I SHOULDN'T NEED TO. The iPhone should come out of the factory at least somewhat not defective. If you couldn't read my signature i have many Apple products and I definitely know ehat AppleCare is and how it functions. And to those asking I feel better now that I have ranted. :D
Of course you're right: it's unfortunate that your phone had so many different issues. But with the number of phones being produced, you can't be surprised that some slip through the cracks, which unfortunately happened to you. Regardless, your rant comes across as a desperate cry for attention (but hey it worked), and little more, particularly when you both ignore options for service and replacement ('Apple is busy' is a poor excuse; they're always busy), and have other devices with the same functionality.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm only 16

And there it is.

You're not bothering apple just because its Christmas. They are a successful business and their job to take care of the customer. All you had to do was call them and they could have set up for a replacement over the phone. You had plenty of time to ask someone else to drive you to the apple store.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Most other companies (notably Samsung & Motorola), at least in my past experiences, haven't had these kinds of problems with any recent launches of their smartphone devices. So why does Apple continue to struggle with the releases of their flagship device, the iPhone? It seems like this stuff should be worked out before mass production begins. Now, I definitely love the iPhone 5, and that's why I'm on my fourth phone, but something has gotta give here. Or does Apple bank on the idea that eventually people will get tired of playing the swap game and just settle on a subpar product? At this point I'm not sure.
Perhaps you don't hear about Samsung and Motorola manufacturing defects because this is an Apple forum, and unless Tim is the head of the Illuminati, Apple doesn't own those companies nor do they manufacture their devices, therefore said devices and possible defects are never discussed here, so you never hear about them?
Nahh Apple is the only company that makes devices that are prone to manufacturing defects :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.