Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACardAttack

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
You mean rooted? Kinda funny when people leave the iOS scene and go t android and when they root their devices they still call it "jail breaking"

Jailbreaking just sounds so much better than rooted...rooted sounds like I'm planting a garden or something

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
At what point do you guys think the jailbreak scene was at its peak? (2G,3G,3GS,4,4S,5)

3GS, Old BootROM 24Kpwn, those of us who had (I still have mine btw) those devices knew we were jailbroken for life UNTETHERED on any firmware.. It certainly seemed at that point that the sky was the limit for Jailbreaking. I assumed that if an exploit like 24Kpwn or BlackRa1n could be developed with every new phone the devs would have no problems in the future. iOS 4 was really the start of what we are seeing today. Only a few people could crack it and it started taking longer and longer with each release. The jailbreak scene has been slowly dying ever since SHatter was prematurely disclosed. If that BootROM hole had existed in the iPad 2 & iPhone 4S we would have likely seen at least two more A5 untethers.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
We need some millionaire that is willing to reward a successful jailbreak dev of releasing a jailbreak with a few hundred thousand dollars ;)

If I were rich I sure as hell would do that! Benefits the community and my own device.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
We need some millionaire that is willing to reward a successful jailbreak dev of releasing a jailbreak with a few hundred thousand dollars ;)

If I were rich I sure as hell would do that! Benefits the community and my own device.

I would even be happy with a dev charging like 2-3$ to dl the JB, this would get him enough money. I would gladly pay this much for a dev to constantly be developing JBs

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I would even be happy with a dev charging like 2-3$ to dl the JB, this would get him enough money. I would gladly pay this much for a dev to constantly be developing JBs

Hell make it even $10 per IMEI and I'm DOWN.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I wouldn't mind seeing a pre jb kickstarter project allow somebody to guarantee themselves some $$$. Maybe allow them to take some days off work and focus on the jb without having to worry about taking care of family or bills..

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing a pre jb kickstarter project allow somebody to guarantee themselves some $$$. Maybe allow them to take some days off work and focus on the jb without having to worry about taking care of family or bills..

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't done this already. I know that a lot of the hackers are in it for something other than money, but there are plenty of people who are willing to pay (I know I sure am). Maybe there's a fear that Apple will go after them if they are being paid for developing a jailbreak.

One thing I can say for sure is that I've learned my lesson this time around - I will not be buying the next iphone until I know that it is jailbroken. Using my iphone 5 without a jailbreak actually has me considering an Android device or just reverting back to my jailbroken iphone 4 until the 5 is jailbroken. I'm leaning towards the latter but it might be tough to go back to a smaller screen now.

It's amazing how you get so used to all of the jb apps and then when they're gone, you realize just how much you miss them (I need my bitesms!). The other frustrating thing is that when/if the jb is released, it's going to take some time for the devs to update all of the jb apps. Even if a jb was released tomorrow, it's not like we could use all of our favorite jb apps right away. You have to ask yourself how useful a jailbroken iphone 5 would be if none of the apps we use are compatible with it.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
The current situation is really sad.

-iOS look a bit dated. iOS6.1/7 will make a jailbreak even more difficult.
-Android has good customization-options, but is just meh regarding all the rest.
-WP8 is not ready yet
-BB10 hasn't even been released

trdspectacoma

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't done this already. I know that a lot of the hackers are in it for something other than money, but there are plenty of people who are willing to pay (I know I sure am). Maybe there's a fear that Apple will go after them if they are being paid for developing a jailbreak.

One thing I can say for sure is that I've learned my lesson this time around - I will not be buying the next iphone until I know that it is jailbroken. Using my iphone 5 without a jailbreak actually has me considering an Android device or just reverting back to my jailbroken iphone 4 until the 5 is jailbroken. I'm leaning towards the latter but it might be tough to go back to a smaller screen now.

It's amazing how you get so used to all of the jb apps and then when they're gone, you realize just how much you miss them (I need my bitesms!). The other frustrating thing is that when/if the jb is released, it's going to take some time for the devs to update all of the jb apps. Even if a jb was released tomorrow, it's not like we could use all of our favorite jb apps right away. You have to ask yourself how useful a jailbroken iphone 5 would be if none of the apps we use are compatible with it.

I am in the same boat as you. really contemplating the SGIII

Dosia

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
My last phone was a 3gs and it was not jailbroken. Before the 5 came out I was set on going android due to seeing my friends phones and how they customized them, but a coworker then introduced me to his jailbroken 4s. He then convinced me a jailbroken iphone is the way to go. So here I am with a launch 5 and still no jailbreak. Hopefully it happens soon, but needless to say I think next time I am going android as it sounds like each iteration of phone and version of ios is more and more difficult to crack.

I am just sick of IOS and really hope this phone gets jailbroken soon.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
i think the scene is going to die just like the unlock scene is dead. but yes Apple started selling factory unlocked iphones but i dont think they will be adding the jailbreak stuff in iOS anytime soon!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
i think the scene is going to die just like the unlock scene is dead. but yes Apple started selling factory unlocked iphones but i dont think they will be adding the jailbreak stuff in iOS anytime soon!

The unlock scene is not dead, you can get any phone unlocked through IMEI unlocking these days, so further development is hardly neccessary….

But i see you are running out of arguments on the jailbreak scene and now switching to a different subject.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
The unlock scene is not dead, you can get any phone unlocked through IMEI unlocking these days, so further development is hardly neccessary….

But i see you are running out of arguments on the jailbreak scene and now switching to a different subject.

well iphone 4 was launched in july 2010. the unlock was available in December i think for the baseband 1.59.00 and after along time the IMEI unlocks came on the scene. so your aurgument isnt valid. there are some carriers around the world whose unlock are very expensive and not available. and i am in favour of jailbreak i myself is waiting for iphone 5 jailbreak. so you saying running out of arugment is not true.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
The IP4 unlock from @planetbeing for 1.59.0 was available 5 days after the jailbreak in august 2010, get your facts straight.

And of course you not accepting it does not invalidate the argument; factory unlock, BB downgrade, SIM interposers, IMEI unlock.
Like i said before there is hardly a need for unlock development.

Contrary to jailbreak development, which is actively worked on, judging from you posts you havn't been jailbreaking for too long, otherwise you would know it takes more and more time as Apple makes it harder. Also the devs are more tight lipped due to several leaks; shatter and the infamous premature ipad2 jb leak when some wiseguy made @comex's work public before it was finished.

Some people think they are entitled to a jailbreak as like right now! If it takes a little longer they assume all kinds of things, ussually accompanied by unnecessary accusations.

Patience is a virtue

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
The IP4 unlock from @planetbeing for 1.59.0 was available 5 days after the jailbreak in august 2010, get your facts straight.

And of course you not accepting it does not invalidate the argument; factory unlock, BB downgrade, SIM interposers, IMEI unlock.
Like i said before there is hardly a need for unlock development.

Contrary to jailbreak development, which is actively worked on, judging from you posts you havn't been jailbreaking for too long, otherwise you would know it takes more and more time as Apple makes it harder. Also the devs are more tight lipped due to several leaks; shatter and the infamous premature ipad2 jb leak when some wiseguy made @comex's work public before it was finished.

Some people think they are entitled to a jailbreak as like right now! If it takes a little longer they assume all kinds of things, ussually accompanied by unnecessary accusations.

Patience is a virtue

Lol lol. i have been jailbreaking since the original iphone. Bought every generation of iphone. And from 4s i bought the factory unlocked iphones. And as far as facts are concerned i said i think it was available at that time. Moreover the other unlocks came in february. I bought my iphone 4 which was locked on 4.1 in october. And i kept it using it as ipod since february. So you need to get your facts straight. In all those months devs were trying to achieve the unlock which was made impossible by apple. As they made it difficult. I agree that there have been leaks. But what i am saying is it looks like apple is winning and making the jailbreak scene difficiult. I hope that clears. In the end i would like to say i am expecting a jailbreak after the release of 6.1.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Unlock scene is dead? No, it's very much alive. It's just that people can pay $5 on ebay rather than waiting for an jailbreak to unlock or buying a sim interposer. I can unlock my iPhone and it's very easy and cheap but I have no need to.

The jailbreak scene was never primarily driven by unlocks, IMO.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Lol lol. i have been jailbreaking since the original iphone. Bought every generation of iphone. And from 4s i bought the factory unlocked iphones. And as far as facts are concerned i said i think it was available at that time. Moreover the other unlocks came in february. I bought my iphone 4 which was locked on 4.1 in october. And i kept it using it as ipod since february. So you need to get your facts straight. In all those months devs were trying to achieve the unlock which was made impossible by apple. As they made it difficult. I agree that there have been leaks. But what i am saying is it looks like apple is winning and making the jailbreak scene difficiult. I hope that clears. In the end i would like to say i am expecting a jailbreak after the release of 6.1.

:)

You can brush up on version and BB history on here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

Unlocks were preserved via the BB preservation which was developed by the Devs, afterwhich they ipad BB served as a good alternative for the 3G/GS, followed by the SIM interposer, etcetcetc

I do agree a JB might come after 6.1

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Unlock scene is dead? No, it's very much alive. It's just that people can pay $5 on ebay rather than waiting for an jailbreak to unlock or buying a sim interposer. I can unlock my iPhone and it's very easy and cheap but I have no need to.

The jailbreak scene was never primarily driven by unlocks, IMO.

Duh care to read the whole discussion? Talkimg about ultrasnow.

----------

:)

You can brush up on version and BB history on here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

Unlocks were preserved via the BB preservation which was developed by the Devs, afterwhich they ipad BB served as a good alternative for the 3G/GS, followed by the SIM interposer, etcetcetc

I do agree a JB might come after 6.1

Again the same thing. Dude talking about ultrasnow software supporting the new basebands. Not the old ones :) and in the end lets hope jailbreak comes soon.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Duh care to read the whole discussion? Talkimg about ultrasnow.

----------

Again the same thing. Dude talking about ultrasnow software supporting the new basebands. Not the old ones :) and in the end lets hope jailbreak comes soon.

Their points are that ultrasnow is arguably not needed because alternative methods to unlock are readily available.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Their points are that ultrasnow is arguably not needed because alternative methods to unlock are readily available.

Dude what i am saying is there was almost 5-6 months gap between all this. The alternates were available when ultrasnow wasnt available.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Dude what i am saying is there was almost 5-6 months gap between all this. The alternates were available when ultrasnow wasnt available.

Exactly, because there were several alternatives and the market was opening up with new and used factory unlocks there was no priority for the devs to put countless of hours into further ultrasn0w development, so it is basically the reverse of what you are saying, the UNLOCK scene is very much alive, it is just broader with all unlock methods, not solely ultrasnow.
Besides that 6 month between solutions isn't that long, the wait for 4.3.3 iPad JB took @comex almost a year. Be grateful with what we got until now, for FREE...

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wonder if it were to become a paid service if that would help them develop quicker....

Very grateful for the jbs but also don't mind paying for such an awesome feature.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
So is there a new JB out yet?:D
Is it ready now? When will it be ready?
What program will I need to use?:D
If you close your eyes and tap your feet 92 times.

The jailbreak is still in the oven, give it a few more days, months tops.

The program will be called wh1teN3wY3arsSl33tst0rm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.