Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hey guys. Now first of all, don't get me wrong.. I am totally in love with my mini... Now that I have a good one. It took me 9 iPads.
The first one had a pinkish tint. It wasn't even that bad but I thought, oh well might as well take it back so I can get a new one which is perfect..
I was pretty wrong. The second and third one had pretty big white (dust I presume) particles under the screen. The fourth one had dead pixel. The fifth had a strange grey pixel. The 6th-9th ones had dust under the screen again.
This is my tenth and while there is still a really small dust particle under the screen, it's too small to see when the screen is on and can really only be seen if the screen is black and if enough light from outside gets to the screen. I obviously decided to keep this one as this is the best I've if gotten yet.

So if you're a nit picker like me, think twice before buying an iPad mini. The dust particles were actually pretty clear and even visible for those whose eyes aren't in their prime anymore.

Also, I live in the Netherlands. It could just be that we are the victim of a bad batch.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
The 3 I bought are fine. Or Maybe I'm just not picky. I am the type to notice things, but not the type to pull out a magnifying glass.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
Or go to a store and inspect each device before leaving off with it, making sure it is to your satisfaction -- until you notice something wrong with it at home ;)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm surprised you were still holding out hope by the 5th or 6th one.

You know what they say about the definition of insanity, right? :D

Alexutz

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
10th iPad??? Ouch!
Dust particles under the screen along with the dents, scratches and co. on the Iphone 5... this is quickly becoming a trend.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
OP, I'm just curious, when would you have given up?

I'm picturing you on your 67th iPad thinking, "surely the 68th one will be perfect!" :D

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Or go to a store and inspect each device before leaving off with it, making sure it is to your satisfaction -- until you notice something wrong with it at home ;)

Yeah that's exactly what I did.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and every iPad since iPad 2 and have never had to exchange any except for a 4S that had a defective earpiece.

I don't understand how someone can return the same product 9 times and still want the product.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Okay I don't know why everyone is so hostile. I know there are people like me who want their device to be perfect so it's just a warning for them. If you are one of those people who don't care why would you even bother to reply to this thread?

----------

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and every iPad since iPad 2 and have never had to exchange any except for a 4S that had a defective earpiece.

I don't understand how someone can return the same product 9 times and still want the product.

Well I brought a lot of apps and the normal iPad is too heavy for what I mostly use it for so this was the only thing I really could buy.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
admittedly I returned my ipad 3 soon after launch day because I thought it had a yellowish tint (I realise now it was a completely normal, great display) and was then happy with the 2nd one i got, even if it was all in my head...

I felt pretty silly doing that, not to mention the hassle it caused, and I certainly won't be returning an apple product again without a clear fault.

Still, I think its understandable if you're not happy, but 10 times??
really?

I think apple should put a limit on how many times you can return the same product over and over again, without showing a clear fault.

It's just silly

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
This is my tenth and while there is still a really small dust particle under the screen, it's too small to see when the screen is on and can really only be seen if the screen is black and if enough light from outside gets to the screen. I obviously decided to keep this one as this is the best I've if gotten yet.

You shouldn't settle for any dust under the screen. You may think those particles are small now, but just wait, they get bigger the longer you look at them. And won't you know that, just when it's out of warranty, they'll be so big you won't be able to focus on the screen any more. If Apple can't get a $300 product right you might as well take it back. I know I wouldn't settle for paying that much money for something that comes with dust.

Trust me, take a long hard look at that dust under the screen and honestly tell me it doesn't bother you? I think you're being too lenient on Apple. If no one returns them they'll never know they have a problem that needs fixing.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
I don't understand why expecting a product which is a) costing a lot of money and b) marketed as perfection not to have imperfections as listed by OP as OCD.

PJ

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Probably just coincidence but the one my company ordered had a broken home button! I reckon the return rate must be quite high.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
We're hostile because there was nothing wrong with your first iPad, a pinkish tint that you said didn't even matter but traded it for the heck of it. Now all those iPad's will never be sold as new.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It ain't going to be long before you get dust particles on the one you have now. Maybe not under the screen right away but the way it was designed it is inevitable you will get them round the borders. Trust me.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
It ain't going to be long before you get dust particles on the one you have now. Maybe not under the screen right away but the way it was designed it is inevitable you will get them round the borders. Trust me.

Yeah but that's no problem to me. The problem is when they are under the screen. To me atleast.

----------

i don't understand why expecting a product which is a) costing a lot of money and b) marketed as perfection not to have imperfections as listed by op as ocd.

Pj

thank you.

----------

admittedly I returned my ipad 3 soon after launch day because I thought it had a yellowish tint (I realise now it was a completely normal, great display) and was then happy with the 2nd one i got, even if it was all in my head...

I felt pretty silly doing that, not to mention the hassle it caused, and I certainly won't be returning an apple product again without a clear fault.

Still, I think its understandable if you're not happy, but 10 times??
really?

I think apple should put a limit on how many times you can return the same product over and over again, without showing a clear fault.

It's just silly

Well yeah after 4 I still thought I just had bad luck but the other 5 ones were all this day... So I decided to settle with this one, which is at least perfect to the naked eye.

----------

We're hostile because there was nothing wrong with your first iPad, a pinkish tint that you said didn't even matter but traded it for the heck of it. Now all those iPad's will never be sold as new.

Well yeah they won't be sold as new cause they were badly made. The pinkish hue wasn't that bad but still not normal, so that's what the warranty is for right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.