Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsakaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking for some help in resetting my Macbook Air SMC. There is a problem though, as the built in keyboard is not functioning and I am relying on an external keyboard.

The keyboard was working with the exception of the spacebar and the delete key for awhile, but now the only key that works is the power button.

Do you have any suggestions to get the keyboard working so I can perform a SMC reset or is there a way to do the reset without using the built-in keyboard?

Thank you very much for any advice.

David

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You are going to need one of those two keyboards fully functioning to do this. Do you have friend maybe with an old PC USB KB you could borrow. That would do the trick.

dsakaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Thank you Weasel for the input.

The USB and Bluetooth Keyboard idea did not work as it has to be the built in keyboard for the command to reset and those keys are not working.

The computer was water damaged, so I really don't care about voiding any warranty.

I also tried a manual battery reset. I disconnected the battery waited for a bit then plugged it in again. Nothing seemed to happen. Is there something supposed to alert you that a reset occurred? Also, nothing was fixed. There is still no led on the power plug, the keyboard still does not work at all and the fan keeps running at high speed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

David

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
the only way is if you had another topcase/keyboard to plug in to reset the SMC, it has to use the built in one. the only other way around it is if it was brought into an Apple store authorized service provider when they hook it up to the AST diagnostics there is an option to reset SMC and NVRAM which doesnt need theinternal keyboard working...so that is an option if you have either close by, honestly they shouldnt charge for that diagnostic or procedure takes less then 5 minutes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.