Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Interesting, but I have no reason to use crappy android apps on my Mac. Anyways, there's nothing on android that a Mac native app can't do as good if not better (at least for the things/tasks that are of use and benefit to me).

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
For what its worth, the mac version does appear to just be an emulator with a customised/rebranded version of Android 4.x running in a window.

You could just download the Android emulator for free and do this yourself.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Cool but I think I'd rather use an application that is designed for a mouse/trackpad and keyboard on my Macintosh.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
why would anyone, ANYONE run android apps on mac?:D silly, dont see any target group...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
why would anyone, ANYONE run android apps on mac?:D silly, dont see any target group...

People have already listed reasons above you as to why they would want to, perhaps you should read. Also try not to assume that because you don't do something, other people don't either.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
This looks fantastic. Website keeps trying to feed me the Windows exe installer, though - where exactly is the OSX version?

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
People have already listed reasons above you as to why they would want to, perhaps you should read. Also try not to assume that because you don't do something, other people don't either.

Pretty clear to me that is sarcasm, but feel free to continue to jump down their throat.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I don't know. Sounds like a Google has started a shell corporation just make it seems like their apps are more accessible than Apple's.

Also it sound like they just took their SDK and just remove the development part but just left in the emulator in it. Nothing new.

I agree. And the Moon landing was faked on a sound stage in Arizona as well.

I think this is a cool development. I'd imagine some apps to be tough to use without touch screen, but imagine how handy this would be on a full Windows 8 tablet.

And developers will still develop for iOS as long as that is where the money is. A novelty like this will have literally zero impact.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Awesome, was able to install get free apps from Amazon, get free MP3 credits, all without having to buy Android!

Nice!

Nobody buys android, its open source...and android isnt a phone its an os...i guess its amateur hour today.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Crappiest software on the planet + best platform on the planet. Gee, what's not to love about that? :D

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple should be providing emulation for all other systems, including their own older systems:
Apple I
Apple II
Lisa
MacOS Classic
Rosetta
DOS
CPM
Windows
iOS on MacOSX
MacOSX on iOS

There is no reasonable excuse for them to abandon older software. They have the money resources. They have the computing power. By offering complete emulation they would make their hardware and OS the most desirable and would sell more hardware and OSs.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I doubt that since the Android emulator is barely functional. They probably wrote something from "scratch". I have to put "scratch" in air quotes due to the plethora of open source software surrounding android.

How does this compare to an AVD? I find its faster to upload apk's to Dropbox, then download and Install them on an actual android device than to use AVD. (For some reason Eclipse refuses to run on the actual device when it's plugged in... I've spent days trying to figure that out to no avail.)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
We should be able to do this with iOS apps as well. I think it would be cool to run some of my iOS apps in the corner of my ACD.

Technically it is possible in fact the SDK allows this for years now. You can run your new IOS app on theMac to test it. So of course it could be done. But why would Apple want to make it easy to do for the masses?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Looking forward to trying this out. It's a great idea and I hope it works for them.

Hopefully it won't feel like one of those horrible flash apps which are buggy and slow.

People need to look beyond their partisan views on here and realize Apple is not the only ones who can do great tech, Android has some great stuff too.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Great, now you can run apps designed for touchscreen on your Mac with a mouse and keyboard!

I guess this might be useful on Windows 8 machines to get a quick boost in the apps department.

And to those saying it is just a repackaged Android SDK emulator...no way. That thing runs dog slow on the fastest i7 with gobs of RAM. On my Air it runs like a river of molasses, even just starting it up takes around 6-7 minutes.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I don't know. Sounds like a Google has started a shell corporation just make it seems like their apps are more accessible than Apple's.

Also it sound like they just took their SDK and just remove the development part but just left in the emulator in it. Nothing new.

Given that the app is pulling content from a bunch of different appstores (except Google Play) I'd call that complete rubbish. Google would have zero reason to do this under a shell corporation, and already provide you with the ability to run android apps on Windows and OS X via the Android emulator (which is all this bluestacks app is)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Crappiest software on the planet + best platform on the planet. Gee, what's not to love about that? :D

Go home and stop trying to be a naughty little troll :rolleyes:

----------

Technically it is possible in fact the SDK allows this for years now. You can run your new IOS app on theMac to test it. So of course it could be done. But why would Apple want to make it easy to do for the masses?

When you run your app during development, it's compiled as x86. When you send it off to the appstore its ARM6/7 only. So the appstore versions wont (ever) work natively under OS X whilst its x86. You'd need to recompile absolutely every app, or provide an emulator to emulate an ARM process.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Great, now you can run apps designed for touchscreen on your Mac with a mouse and keyboard!

I guess this might be useful on Windows 8 machines to get a quick boost in the apps department.

And to those saying it is just a repackaged Android SDK emulator...no way. That thing runs dog slow on the fastest i7 with gobs of RAM. On my Air it runs like a river of molasses, even just starting it up takes around 6-7 minutes.

Look at the app - go into the app's contents and have a poke around.

It's an emulator.

Put it this way. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for Android (or iOS) apps to run on OS X (an x86 system) without an emulator to convert the arm compiled app.

It's an android emulator - it takes seconds to figure that out....it's not really even that well hidden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.