Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I hadn't used an iPhone since the early 3 days, had android for years, starting with the Sony Xperia, and on to the HTC Sensation. Came back to an iPhone 4s, which I had for a short while before I sold it and got the iPhone 5.
Prepare for a long ramble.

The case for Android

As much as I like iOS, it wasn't the operating system which made me switch back, I really think Android is an amazing OS (even 2.1, the version I started with, was decent enough). It did what I wanted it to, very rarely crashed and my experience with it was generally positive. I've had way more app crashes since I got my iPhone 5, apps have stopped working on me at least 5 times. There's nothing specific to iOS that makes me swear allegiance to the OS, in fact, since I don't really make use of the hardware part of Apple's ecosystem, I'm finding Android to be the more flexible solution. Yes, a lot of third-party apps sucked, then again I always managed to find that one cobbled-together gem, especially unofficial maps and walkthroughs for games, apps which aren't available on iOS. (I remember having a handful of "Witcher" apps on my android, only the official CD Projekt one for iOS, etc). I enjoyed the customization options too, and the fact I didn't have to "re-jailbreak and re-install" all my customization after every new version, making your phone look the way you want it to just doesn't have that forbidden air about it that it does on iOS. Now that iOS is getting harder and harder to crack, that just makes it all the more annoying. I'm pretty sure that having both the newest version of the OS and a working jailbreak at the same time looks like it's heading the way of impossibility. Jailbreaks used to be out what... up to a few days to a week after a new version was released? I want a jailbreak, but don't want to give up the benefits of iOS 6 for it.

Why I ended up switching back to Apple anyway

The reason's superficial to say the least, but it's the design of their iPhones that keeps me interested. The only Android handsets which come close are the Sony ones, and even they feel cheap in comparison to iPhone 5, which, IMO, is a master piece of engineering, and looks and feels amazing. I also find the iPhones rival devices ugly. I've always hated the design of Samsung phones, and I don't think that's going to change for me unless they head into a completely different direction design-wise.
Then there's re-sale value, one major reason still keeping me bound to Apple. I can still make good money selling my 5 in 2 years time when I upgrade to the "6", no other device has anywhere near the resale values that Apple has. Sold my iPad 3 after 8 months of heavy use, and got two-thirds of its original price for it. It's a safe investment.
Then there's nostalgia which keeps on making me go back to Apple, the fact that some of my only fond memories with my dad involved playing games on my first computer, a Performa 5200, the fact that I grew up with Apple and that my family are Apple users too, I feel a connection with the company that I don't feel for any other company.
Then there's the fact that I already had iTunes Match subscribed to, and all my songs are already in the cloud. (I ended up disabling the feature on the iPhone anyway, preferring to just sync individual songs I want to listen to, since they got rid of the individual delete option in iOS 6 /sigh.)

While iOS is definitely growing on me again, I'm not as loyal as I was to apple with its early models of the iPhone, mostly due to Android actually being a viable - if not superior - OS nowadays. If I get another iPhone after this one depends strongly on the state of the two operating systems in two years from now, and the handsets on offer at the time. iOS just isn't the "leaps and bounds ahead, no-competition, exclusively recommendable OS it once was, and unless they rethink it, or add some killer innovative features and tie them in with their OS in a way only Apple could, I don't see a real reason to stick with the OS, personally. I know other people have their reasons (invested in the ecosystem, etc.), that's the way it is for me, anyway.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Ive had the iPhone 5 since release and got a note 2 just to try it out and got quite bored with android. I felt it didn't do anything for me more than iOS already did. The apps I use works better on iOS at least I feel they do. I don't need a Fb widget when iOS already notify me on what's goin on there. I thougt I needed all those cool widgets but the dident really do anything for me. So now I'm back on my iPhone 5, best phone I've ever owned.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Way to grossly distort statistics from a source that no one even heard of before this "report". 93% of people know that.

Seems you can't handle the truth. You don't like the report, so therefore you say it's false. Prove it otherwise or shut up.

S

syd430

I have switched to android on various occasions, but keep coming back to my iphone.

I would love to switch to another OEM/platform, or at least have the option there, but unfortunately OEM's have shown time and time again that they can't (or aren't willing to) compete directly with Apple in certain areas.

Here are some examples:

1 - Hardware. This is subjective in many respects, but I wan't an android phone with similar hardware to the iPhone 5. Thin, light, minimilistic and primarly aluminium. Is it really so hard for other OEMs to match the hardware while still differentiating their devices? Various Nokia handsets and the HTC One X are the only ones that come even remotely close, and they are not directly competing with the flat, thin, aluminium builds coming from Apple. Too much plastic, too much curves, too much busy design cues to try and differentiate for the sake of differentiating.

2 - Screen size. The iphone 5's 4" screen stretches right to the limit of one hand usability for me. I want a cutting edge smart phone with a screen roughly the size of the iphone 5. I want easy one handed use. It doesn't exist. Why? Because every other OEM is tripping over themselves to differentiate from the iPhone, while in doing so, end up just being the same as every Android OEM. The market for an android phone with similar proportions to the iphone is wide open, yet OEM's don't seem to think that the demand is there.

3 - Customer service / warranty claims. All devices have QC issues. Apple is no different. The difference is however, I can just go into my local Apple store and swap it out for another one and be in out in 5 minutes. Other OEM's just can't match that kind of convenience when you have a problem.

4 - Resale value. I usually auction my used apple stuff on eBay for a $0.01 starting price and always end up with an excellent final price. I can't do this with my products from other OEM's because its just too risky.

If another brand can match the above 4 for me, I will switch in a heart beat. I want to switch. Apple is not not perfect. But the other OEM'S are just not matching certain aspects.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've had the nexus 4 for a week now. Its a beautiful phone and jelly bean is getting closer to being something id switch over to but i just put it up for sale on craigslist.

My reasons are the same as most

Battery - i have to constantly toggle on off things and watch my usage or id be charging it 2x per day. At home on wifi i managed to get 4 hours of screen on time but at work in hspa+ i got 1 hour and had 30% battery left. And this is with location backup wifi and sync off.

Slickness - everything on my iphone is just so slick and quick. Jelly bean is getting closer but there is just slight delays and sligh slow responsiveness. The scrolling is also not as smooth as ios. Theres just something that apple has down that really improves my experience.

Camera - the n4 camerais just not that hot. The ui of the camera is weird and ios just blows the camera and camera app away in my opinion

Customization - i love the idea of being able to customize the heck out of my home screen. I really made my home screen on my n4look beautiful. Then as soon as i "perfected"it i felt the need to tinker some more. I soon realized id probablytinker to no end. I spent way too much time in the week of having it on tinkering. Its almost too much. I just felt overwhelmed. I missed the simplicity of ios knowing it looks good and functions great. And if ever get a new hankering for tinkering i can jailbreak. I realized i love tinkering but love the simplicity more

Ecosystem - im in way too deep with apple and it felt like such a chore to try and change to the google ecosystem. They have it set up nicely i just prefer ios at this point and dont want to change for 1 device.

I tried a sgs2 last year and now the n4 this year and ill try the next google phone next year but for me its not quite where i want to be yet. They are getting closer each incarnation of android though and apple should definitely take notice.

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
So I've been interchanging between an iPhone 4s and a Samsung Galaxy S3 for the last two weeks as I've piloting an NFC test and the darn iPhone doesn't have that (yet?). So here is my thoughts as a non-fanboy of either platform:

As we all know, both have their pros and cons, however, I believe the nod goes to a *jailbroken* iPhone. I want to love the SGS3, I really do; but the widgets are not as great as I had hoped and it just is not as smooth over all. The larger screen is great on the Samsung... but just a tiny bit too big. So if the iPhone 5 was jailbroken, I think that phone would be near perfect.

Now... what ticks me off is the only way I believe the iPhone wins is if it is jailbroken. I am so disappointed in Apple's limits on their users. If I could have some of Android's flexibility on an iPhone 5 I'd be a happy camper.

Guess I'll have to wait...

Webwbr

kdarling

macrumors P6

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I'm going back to Android after a year with the iPhone 4S. I'm going to miss the absolutely perfect form factor of the 4S, but here are a few of the factors that made me switch back (in no particular order):

1. LTE. I need to get on LTE, as HSPA+ slows down in areas with dense usage. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a JB yet, so it's not an option yet. Also, AT&T hasn't been maintaining their HSPA+ network, so it has bad latency and just feels slow, even though in many places, it's doing 4-6mbps.

2. Lightning. I don't want to deal with buying $100 of stupid proprietary cables when I already have dock connector and micro-USB cables coming out of my ears. Lightning was an absolutely idiotic move on Apple's part, and I'm seeing how long I can stay away from it (probably a while considering the iPad 3 will have software update support for several years).

3. Google Now and other innovations. Apple isn't innovating, just refining and polishing the same functionality the OG Droid had on Verizon several years ago. Google Now is a fundamental innovation about how we interact with our phones. Whether or not I use it a lot, we'll see, but at least I know Google is innovating.

4. Cost. I got the SGS III for $50 from BestBuy, and another $50 for a MicroSD card. The iPhone 5 would have been $400 plus another $100 for Lightning cables.

5. The SGS III will have a Lifeproof case soon, which was one thing holding me on the iPhone.

6. Google Maps. Yes, they do have it on the iPhone now, but it still doesn't have a lot of the functionality that it does on the Android side.

7. Cleaner, more modern interface. The whole Skeuomorphism thing is driving me nuts. Google unashamedly has no ties to the past, they blaze forward with a new look, including the gorgeous Roboto font.

8. Customization and widgets. I am beholden to Jailbreaking and stuck on iOS 5.0.1 in order to have basic customization like a quick settings menu, and the ability to tether on the 2GB AT&T plan.

The iPhone 5 already has a LifeProof case ;) way ahead of SGS III http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5/iphone-5-case?gclid=CI-2t8_Ot7QCFUxxQgodpkcARw

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I came back from Android, don't regret it.

Originally I had the iPhone 3GS, but I replaced that with a HTC Desire S in 2011. A first I loved it, but the little things annoy me. The messaging app slows down with more than 500~ messages, updates never came, the quality of apps was awful. I even purchased a Nexus 7 to see what newer Android devices were like, but I still found the animations made me dizzy, the apps poor and the device non intuitive (I challenge someone to change the alert sound for their gmail without Googling it first!).

Anyway, during my time using Android I became as iOS developer, and so this may have swayed me. Compared to the Android dev tools, iOS's seem much more geared towards writing slick, good-looking apps that scale.

So now well and truly in the Apple ecosystem with an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I just prefer the way the OS works. I spend all day at work trouble-shooting bugs in apps, I don't want to be doing this when I'm at home - something I found I would inevitably need to do with Android. There are some things I miss, like the ability to block phone calls from 'unknown' callers but not enough to warrant to frustration that comes with Android (I will continually review this opinion though, and Windows Phone 8 will hopefully have matured in a year or so, so that might be worth a shot)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I have switched to android on various occasions, but keep coming back to my iphone.

2 - Screen size. The iphone 5's 4" screen stretches right to the limit of one hand usability for me. I want a cutting edge smart phone with a screen roughly the size of the iphone 5. I want easy one handed use. It doesn't exist. Why? Because every other OEM is tripping over themselves to differentiate from the iPhone, while in doing so, end up just being the same as every Android OEM. The market for an android phone with similar proportions to the iphone is wide open, yet OEM's don't seem to think that the demand is there.

Agreed. My new SGS III is freaking huge. It's nice when looking at maps or something, but for most daily uses like email, texting, and web, I'd much rather have the 3.5" screen.

So I've been interchanging between an iPhone 4s and a Samsung Galaxy S3 for the last two weeks as I've piloting an NFC test and the darn iPhone doesn't have that (yet?). So here is my thoughts as a non-fanboy of either platform:

As we all know, both have their pros and cons, however, I believe the nod goes to a *jailbroken* iPhone. I want to love the SGS3, I really do; but the widgets are not as great as I had hoped and it just is not as smooth over all. The larger screen is great on the Samsung... but just a tiny bit too big. So if the iPhone 5 was jailbroken, I think that phone would be near perfect.

Now... what ticks me off is the only way I believe the iPhone wins is if it is jailbroken. I am so disappointed in Apple's limits on their users. If I could have some of Android's flexibility on an iPhone 5 I'd be a happy camper.

Guess I'll have to wait...

Webwbr

I think this is a key point. I feel like I'm stuck in the past and trapped on 5.0.1 with more and more things that I need to upgrade to 6 for, but I can't because there is no JB. I blame Apple for this, as they are playing whack-a-mole while not providing a "legitimate" method of doing what the Jailbroken apps do.

No JB = no go. I got the SGS III and I like it, but I'm sensing it may become a secondary phone and a toy more than my daily driver. Another factor driving me here that most people don't have is that if I have a secondary phone, I can have a camera in that one, as I am not allowed to bring a camera-equipped phone into my workplace.

I'm also hoping that there will be an untethered JB for iOS 6 so I can upgrade to that on the 4S hardware.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I have, going from iPhone 3GS -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S. But now to Note 2.

At the time, it was okay, since the Nexus S just had a 4" screen. It wasn't hard going back. Plus, I liked the speed of the 4S better.

I just sold my 4S and got a Note 2. It is unbelievable. I am mostly about snappiness and OS performance, and this thing does not let down. I still have yet to charge it, and it has been almost 2 days with serious usage. The S PEN (not stylus) does a lot for me too as I enjoy digital art.

After spending some time with the Note 2 and before selling the iPhone 4S, I turned the 4S on. It literally felt like a small little toy, like an iPod Nano or something. Effect of the big screen on Android - definitely cannot go back. Customization isn't huge to me, but nice, and fluid this time on the Note 2. I do, however, get extremely bored of the iOS layout over time.

I love Apple's build quality (not as of late though), so that is one thing I'm going to miss, along with iMessage. But after seeing this large beautiful AMOLED screen, there is no going back. Also, just using WhatsApp instead of iMessage works great. If Apple comes out with an over 4" device, maybe iPhone 6, I will consider it. Though, their quality control is out the window and I sure don't want a bent phone or scuffed right out of the box.

Right now, SGN2 has the best OS (Jelly Bean), and it runs very snappy. It does not even have 4.2 yet, which will provide even greater fluidity. I was initially somewhat happy with the performance on Chrome, but am using the stock browser now which is light years more fluid. Chrome lagged on my 4S too compared to Safari. With the stock browser, browsing is a lot faster compared to my 4S. My Nexus S was awful.

All in all, I kept going back to iPhone but pretty sure this Note 2 fits my needs perfectly this time. I need a bigger screen to consider going back to the iPhone, the extra .5" simply doesn't cut it.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I had the first iPhone and decided to get an android phone. I went to the Samsung intercept, then HTC hero, then HTC evo in just 1 year. I then bought an iPhone 4 on eBay for $400 new just to ditch android. I got the iPhone 5 when it was released and ill never leave iOS ever again.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
So was Android marketed to cool teenage boys like you? :D

images

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
...the apps poor and the device non intuitive (I challenge someone to change the alert sound for their gmail without Googling it first!)...

Interesting. I had no problem doing that on my previous (Android) phone, Xperia Ray, but can't do it on my iPhone 5.

Please enlight me about how to change my alert sound on my GMail app :)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Still still undecided...I've sort of got over the limitations of going from Android to iPhone, but the cost is worrying me a bit. As I've previously said to sell my 3 I'd probably get around £270 (I'm in UK), so to even get the 16Gb is going to cost £260 cash on top.

Whereas (think I've decided on a change, the S3 is just too big, and I've started to use my iPad more), if I get a Motorola Razr i (same physical size as iphonev5 but with a 4.3" screen) I would actually make around £50 (not that I'm bothered about making the £50 more about spending £250 in ANOTHER phone!

Also is a 4" screen ,inch smaller than a 4.3" (yes yes I know 0.3"), what I mean is does it look much bigger, better experience, anyone got an iPhone 5 compare it beside a 4.3" screen in hand?

Cheers

Last edited:

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Interesting. I had no problem doing that on my previous (Android) phone, Xperia Ray, but can't do it on my iPhone 5.

Please enlight me about how to change my alert sound on my GMail app :)

Maybe I'm just a bit dense then because it had me! On the iPhone Gmail app I wouldn't have a clue (I don't use it) but I do know that sounds for Push Notifications are decided by the App Service itself in the push notification packet, so it would be a setting within the Gmail app rather than in iOS if it exists.

If you're using the Apple Mail app then it's under Notifications > Mail > Account Name > New Mail Sound

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Htc hero> htc evo > htc evo 3d> gs2 > 4s > galaxy nexus > Evo lte (onex variant)> 5.

The only android phone that ever really made satisfied me was the evo, butaiy because I was new to rooting and the hero was a POS. Got the 4s and loved it, but jumped back due to screen. Eventually got i5 and I won't be leaving this phone anytime soon. The screen is great, don't miss the 4.7 of the evo lte. I don't have the time, anymore, it takes to get an android phone up to its full potential. Love the i5

ms.aerovelo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Might as well make this a first post since I came over here from an Android device ;)

I have gone..

iPhone 3 >
HTC Dream (cause I wanted a keyboard..it looked cool...I'm fickle when it comes to tech...always keen to try new stuff :D ) >
Motorola Milestone (Droid to the US people) >
iPhone 4 (oh how I loved this phone!) >
Motorola Atrix (Cause I liked the whole lapdock concept...got bored with it quickly..*sigh*) >
iPhone 4S (just rinse and repeat of the iPhone 4 IMO with a few tweaks) > HTC One XL (4G LTE was now available here in Australia and I MUST have it! - actually is a great phone...except I found it too big :cool: ) >
Sony Xperia S (I do like this device, like all my Android devices, tweaked running a custom rom..etc...etc...but just something missing for me....) >

Now back to the iPhone 5. Happy with it. iOS is rather boring IMO, and I do miss some of the widgets you get with Android (I have a Nexus 7 though and am totally in love with it :p )
I didn't go back to the iPhone 5 out of brand loyalty or anything like that, nor because of flaws in Android - after starting with Android back in Cupcake and Donut days...ICS and Jellybean are miles ahead and a great OS.
But like others..its just not polished enough yet. It is getting there thats for sure, and apps are become more on par with iOS apps.
No denying the iPhone is a good looking device - the Samsung S3 and some of the other Android powered devices always look cheap - but thats not an Android problem its the handset manufacturers.
I currently have an iPhone as it suits me right now. In 6 months time there might be something better IMO in the Android world that I might just switch to :p

Everyone has their reasons, for me its simple things like iMessage, and its simplicity (and ease of use with Mountain Lion on my MBP haha) but I cannot say one is better than the other as I really like both OS's. Both have flaws and pluses - but its all subjective and based on how I use my phone at any one time :D

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I have been an iPhone fan and user since the 3G model till the 4.

I cheered Apple over the summer for kicking Sammy's butt in court then the iPhone 5 came out and I was severely let down.

After using the iPhone 4 the last 2 1/2 years I was ready to get a new phone but could not get over the fact that the 5 was nothing more than a 4S with 4g and a half an inch longer screen.

I did the unthinkable and jumped over to the Galaxy S3. I am not comfortable with Android not as polished as iOS but hey at the time I needed Google Maps and a bigger display.

I compromised and haven't looked back. So in short No, I am not back.

I will not go back to the iPhone until the iPhone itself is bigger/wider. I still feel ripped off as my GS3 already has 5s hardware without the wait.

I hope the rumors are true that the 6 will be bigger but until then I will not use the iPhone at it's current small size.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I'm not only bugging the wife with all of this, but myself!!!

I cant decide, putting the money issue aside, I don't know wether to give up the features I know I'll miss on Android: Swype/swiftkey, pull down shortcuts, Automateit (smart actions - automate actions on your phone), smaller screen

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Well I'm not only bugging the wife with all of this, but myself!!!

I cant decide, putting the money issue aside, I don't know wether to give up the features I know I'll miss on Android: Swype/swiftkey, pull down shortcuts, Automateit (smart actions - automate actions on your phone), smaller screen

You get great customer service along with an iPhone purchase. Why not just buy an iPhone 5, play around with it for 2 weeks and return it if you don't like it?

I just came back from a Note 2. None of the issues you described would keep me on Android. YMMV.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I have the s3 and used it since the day the 5 was out. I cannot wait to get rid of it and go back to iOS. Mine is currently running JB via official update and its ok. The butter experience or whatever they call it helped some but the update was nothing special. The OS is so so and the widgets are a gimmick I grew bored of after a week. The only thing ill miss is the back button. Hate the plastic feel, battery life, all too often shutdowns of the OS and my fav apps, chugginess of the phone even after project butter.

Not saying iOS is perfect or not boring but experience of iOS in MY OPINION is better. Some love their android phones and that's awesome, I just prefer a smoother more polished experience on a phone designed better.

Oh I will miss the screen size a LOT. So screen size (not quality) and back button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.