Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2003
Watches are basically the only wearable electronic device that ever caught on. That's because they provided some absolutely critical information (the time) that is by its nature glanceable information. Watches were the most efficient way to take the time with you - what alternatives where there to watches?

Even then, lots of people didn't like them because they were wearable - if you leave it on all day, your arm can get sweaty and uncomfortable, it catches on your shirt sleeves, doesn't match your outfit, is too difficult to put on and remove, whatever. Lots of people never liked watches.

I also doubt that having a hunk of Apple strapped to your wrist is "safer" than an iPhone in your pocket. Firstly, I don't think an iPhone particularly (as opposed to any other branded smartphone) makes you more likely to be attacked. iPhones are rather common these days, even amongst the plebs. Secondly, it'll be easy enough to spot the guy following his wrist rather than his phone. This wouldn't be announced in a vacuum - the day after this thing is announced most people on the planet will have heard of it.

Peeking your phone from out of your pocket and tapping the unlock button can in many situations be even more discreet than looking at your watch.

The case for having something like this is pretty weak IMO. It's definitely not the first time somebody's thought of a super-watch that could make video calls or browse the web or whatever: none of them have caught on. They've all had cool, futuristic, hyped-up receptions and then flopped once people saw the price, how stupid they look, and the excruciatingly thin value proposition.

How incredibly unimaginative of you.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
meh.

The nano didnt catch on as a watch for a very good reason.

That's because it was chunky and looked crap stuck in that 3rd party metal strap that came out.

A slick watch, designed from the ground up by Johnny Ive to BE a watch will be the business.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Would be extremely hard for Apple to replace my Nike Sportwatch+. I wear this thing day in and day out even when I'm not running. Besides, how much would this thing cost?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am not sure I am excited about having a watch that I would need to charge at least once a week.

You think Apple could make a watch that runs off of something like EcoDrive or Kinetic energy? Ideally the watch should last for at least a month without having to charge it. And it needs to be waterproof/water resistant.

kaplanfx

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
I wouldn't doubt that Apple is working on a smartwatch, but the rumor of an OLED screen seems odd for a couple reasons. OLED tech has been around for a while but Apple has seemingly stuck with traditional LCD tech (although much improved tech) and they seem to be working with Sharp on producing IGZO screens in quantity (if the recent supply chain rumors are to be believed). Also an OLED screen wouldn't be "always on" which is one of the huge advantages of a watch, I think any watch that requires a button press to see the time is kludgy. Third, OLEDs are notoriously crappy for outdoor viewing, you'd think a smartwatch would want to have a display with good outdoor viewability.

-kap

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
here we go again :eek:

but then i dont mind one as far as it does a good job of not leading me down the wrong street (MAPS:p)

sange381

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I think an "iWatch" (or whatever name) would be a great idea. Something that displays textual data/info on the screen like text/email/weather.

It should also be able to control the phone while using an Apple headset. So you could answer calls with a click/tap of the watch or activate Siri through the headset. So then you would not have a limited control like the headset controls and not have to bring out the phone. You could have complete control of Apple Apps/Siri using the watch.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
The fact is that these days nobody wears a watch for pracitcal reason such as "whats the time" because everybody uses phones for this now. The only reason why people are wearing watches is just fashion and nothing more. I really doubt you'll see some russian millionairs wearing an Apple watch in some nightclub instead of some rolex or Breitling.

----------

I think an "iWatch" (or whatever name) would be a great idea. Something that displays textual data/info on the screen like text/email/weather.

It should also be able to control the phone while using an Apple headset. So you could answer calls with a click/tap of the watch or activate Siri through the headset. So then you would not have a limited control like the headset controls and not have to bring out the phone. You could have complete control of Apple Apps/Siri using the watch.

just because it's practical, doesn't mean it wont look stupid. Just look at bluetooth earsest. Yes, they make talking over the phone much easier but how many people really use it? Not that much. And why? Because it just look stupid when you walk on the street and talk to yourself. The same is with this "iWatch". Just imagine someone walking on the street with his head tilt to the left and his arm lifted to his mouth. Funny.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
I need to carry a phone already. Why do I need a watch, let alone a smart watch? It seems entirely pointless, IMO. Not even rich people will bite for fashion, as expensive watches are far more classy.

Most certainly fake.

kinderdm

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I do not regret backing pebble though I wish there had been more transparency on where they were as a company. They had, what turns out now to be, very unrealistic estimates on delivery. But when they announced they would miss those estimates everyone points to the fact that backers should have known better. The volume ordered is usually to blame but they are just now getting into that volume so I don't see how producing only a few thousand instead would have sped up any of their testing or early prototyping by months. I've never run a manufacturing firm before though so maybe this logic eludes me. I'm used, as most tech users are today, to a product being announced only a few months before its available on the market as they indicated theirs would be. I think they have a really great product and I am still excited to receive what was supposed to be a late delivery fathers day gift. But I would have reservations about ordering anything new they come up with unless they seriously do something to show they can handle the challenges. I applaud their transparency on their progress (after the fact) but there comes a time when you need more than just good intentions and dialogue. To cheesily quote the batman movie (because I have always believed this philosophy) "it's what you do that defines you."

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
It is clearly another WIRED-yahoo-hipster Bestbuy gadget. Real people wear real watches. And why would take you iPhone to the Maldives?

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
terrible idea. A watch to me, and I think a lot of other people, is a reflection of yourself which is why I don't think it'll sell because nobody wants the same watch as anyone else.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Yes, but not ones like these :D

Wherever I look there is a way to tell what time it is time without a wristwatch.

In the car, public building, cash registers display time etc.etc.

Obviously anybody with a cell phone has the time and would check quickly if there is a missed message or so.

Ditched watches many years ago and about the only watch I wear is Saturdays Sundays to referee soccer games.

Other than that just another thing to forget or lose. (I do leave my watch and a replacement in my ref bag and only buy Walmart under $ 10s)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Apple's going to "disrupt" the watch industry?? :eek:

You better watch out. You better not pout. You better not cry, cause I'm tellin' you why. Apple's selling watches next year.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Wherever I look there is a way to tell what time it is time without a wristwatch.

In the car, public building, cash registers display time etc.etc.

Obviously anybody with a cell phone has the time and would check quickly if there is a missed message or so.

Ditched watches many years ago and about the only watch I wear is Saturdays Sundays to referee soccer games.

Other than that just another thing to forget or lose. (I do leave my watch and a replacement in my ref bag and only buy Walmart under $ 10s)

True. You could also be the owner of a nice collector's item though - but this watch doesn't seem to be very desirable...

Andy Huang

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Reading through, I realized I don't actually feel bad about backing pebble.

Despite the rumor that Apple might beat them to the punch, we need to keep in mind that this will be a first generation device from Apple. Based on what we've seen with iPhone, iPad, arguably iPod Touch, and other Apple products, I wouldn't jump on a first gen product on launch. I might not even jump on the second gen unless it is a hardware renew one year later.

This means I still have at least a year or so to use my Pebble to decide whether or not something like this is right for me. Then, I'll get an upgrade to iWatch 2 or whatever it is much further down the line.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Ummmm...those that state nobody would buy this - nonsense...look at all the Pebble backers! I would personally love to have a proxy device to quickly look at the time, access messages, weather, basic content of emails, etc...notifications on my wrist. Amazing!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This. Pebble is like a lottery ticket. The fantasy and hope distract you from the fact that you are a sucker. They are learning to be engineers and I helped pay for their education.

I was thinking of backing the Pebble watch in April. Something told me to wait and I'm glad I did. An Apple smartwatch would be a nightmare come true for the developers of the Pebble watch and MetaWatch.

I love watches and Apple products, but I'll pass on this

Let's see if you still say that after you hold one in your hand.;)

I was in the "My iPhone became my watch 4 years ago" camp until I read this post. Missed calls and texts available on my wrist? I may have to think about wearing a watch again. My wife will surely buy it for me - she's most of my missed calls, and not deliberately! She just happens to call when I've walked away from my desk at work (with phone on Mute) or while I'm driving home and forgot to unMute. Then I *still* have to go to the corner store for milk. Maybe I'll go ahead and buy it for myself to save that hassle.

I think a watch that does a lot more than tell time has a place in our lives. Let's see if Apple can make it possible.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
To everyone that think watches are just fashion items. It's still much faster and more convenient to quickly glance at your wrist than pulling your phone out of your pocket.
I'm not saying they are not fashion items as well though. It's the only jewelry a man can wear except his wedding ring IMHO ;)

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I want one. I am waiting for the Pebble, which I have an order placed.

I work in an alarm monitoring center, where you cannot take your phone out, ever. So a watch will allow me to see text messages without taking out my phone.

Also, for runners, this will be nice cause they can control music without having to unlock their phone, an so forth.

Using Airplay, you could also skip songs if you don't have your phone on you (like if in another room).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.