Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forzalex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
See this is my problem. I have not worked out how to download Xcode on my iPad! I realise that this bodes ill for my attempts at programming but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be hugely grateful.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
See this is my problem. I have not worked out how to download Xcode on my iPad! I realise that this bodes ill for my attempts at programming but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be hugely grateful.

Xcode doesn't run on an iPad. It only runs on a Mac, with an OS X version of Lion 10.7 or later.

You can't download things to your iPad unless they will actually run on the iPad. Since Xcode doesn't run on iPad, you can't download it to one.

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010

Bite your tongue. The thought of Apple porting Xcode to the iPad is… horrifying. And yet, I feel it's probably coming.

(All of you out there who have been watching the Mac die a slow death as Apple becomes iOS, Inc. know what I'm talking about.)

macman7002

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
While Xcode is not available for the iPad, there are several text editors for writing and editing code that are. My favorite happens to be the Textastic app. It's available for iPad and iPhone, and it's worth a look.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Bite your tongue. The thought of Apple porting Xcode to the iPad is… horrifying. And yet, I feel it's probably coming.

(All of you out there who have been watching the Mac die a slow death as Apple becomes iOS, Inc. know what I'm talking about.)

Bite your tongue - The day I have to do everything on ios, ipad like, I will leave technology behind and grow corn far away from computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.