Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasperNL

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

Last week someone broke into my house, they stole my 2TB Time Capsule, some other external HDD and a (non-Apple) laptop...

Fortunately, they could not manage to steal my iMac. I've locked the iMac with a Kensington lock. They tried to cut through it with a knife (see first picture below).

I want to suggest everyone to lock both their iMac AND their Time Capsule! My new Time Capsule is now locked with the same lock.

Here are some pics:
noname.jpeg

noname%20(1).jpeg

noname%20(2).jpeg

noname%20(3).jpeg

You can clearly see that they tried to break off the lock from the iMac. I'm now a little concerned that because of the damage, the security of the lock is now less than it should be. What do you guys think? Do you think Apple can provide a new body for this iMac? The insurance company will pay for it probably.

iWaiting

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
I would have preferred them (the tea leafs ) to have had it away and claimed on my insurance than to have had a damaged iMac like yours

just my 2 cents

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks for posting that. I was wondering if those locks even worked. I have them attached to my new iMac, my Time Capsule and an external drive. I figure it would at least slow them down.

Cidtek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I can't think of anything to fasten my cable to since my entire desk is one of those glass aluminum assembled with Allen key types.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Correct! Since my backup (the Time Capsule) was stolen too...

I hope they can fix the damage, but I actually doubt it...

My iMac is also chained to the desk with one of these. Fortunately no one has tried to steal it yet.

Good lesson learned here, you need an offsite backup as well or a house fire, thief, etc could wipe out all your data. Food for thought. I take a hard drive into work and rotate it home to refresh/update it periodically. Also "cloud" for important documents in dropbox or whatever.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You should show Kensington, it is good marketing from them. Hopefully insurance will have it repaired.

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
Thanks for posting. Luckily they didnt get away with it. I was wondering how I could protect my new imac. Now I know. Insurance and Kensington Lock!

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Wow good job you locked it up, it could've been much worse returning home to find that everything is gone. Is it possible to lock the iMac thought the stand cable hole? I may do this to save attaching locks to the main body.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Thanks for posting that. I was wondering if those locks even worked. I have them attached to my new iMac, my Time Capsule and an external drive. I figure it would at least slow them down.

Can you link me to these? Never heard of them

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Well that was a good idea that you had your iMac chained via Kensington, however I'd be more concerned about the security of your home. If they had time to attempt to cut the Kensington that much then it doesn't sound like your home security (if any exists) wasn't reliable.

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Data

Any financial or other personal information on the backup?

(What I'm getting at...was it encrypted?)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You can clearly see that they tried to break off the lock from the iMac. I'm now a little concerned that because of the damage, the security of the lock is now less than it should be. What do you guys think? Do you think Apple can provide a new body for this iMac? The insurance company will pay for it probably.

Here is what I would do .....

1) Take it to Apple Store and get an estimate for repair.

2) Give estimate to Insurance.

3) If they say to replace it but not repair, good for you.

However at this point it can get better for you.

How?

Ask your insurance company if you can buy it back for 'scrap value'. Now if they are agreeable it will be the Insurance Company who determines 'salvage value. You can decide if you want to buy it or not.

There is even a slim chance the Insurance Company will tell you to just trash it, but in the case of the iMac and its potential value that would seem unlikely.

Good luck with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.