Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Holy nut cracker! How did you do it? No wifi, no 3G..?

This is absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Do you have wifi/bluetooth/3g/lte etc on or off?

Absolutely STUNNING standby!

I don't have any Bluetooth stuff so I keep it off all the time. I usually keep 3G disabled as I'm usually close a normal wifi network.

I was quite busy at work last week so I didn't get to use the phone much, only a few calls and texts during the week, and I browsed for maybe 20 minutes or so a day. From Friday afternoon to the around 7pm Christmas day I kept the wifi off for most of the time.

I wanted to see just how long the battery could last this time, and with almost 9 days I'm quite impressed.

I seem to get around 10 hours of usage on every charge but standby changes a bit. The lowest standby I've gotten so far is 2 days and 8 hours, but normally it hovers around 4 days or so.

anatolie

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
Got my iPhone 5 a few days ago, and after hearing all the buzz about how amazing the battery life is, mine is TERRIBLE! :confused: My iPhone 4S had "bad" battery life but it was doing much better than my iPhone 5! Put my iPhone 5 into "sleep" mode last night, at 95% battery, woke up today to 45%! Anyone know what caused this 50% drain while doing nothing? LTE was on but would that really cause such a drain, even if it wasn't being used by any apps?

Might take it back to the Apple store for a replacement, also came with scratches (like all the others :()

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This was not needed. I am not complaining about my battery life, but I am just trying to maximise it.

My post wasn't directed at you... I was just having a little /rant fun :). But glad to see your battery life improving. I find the biggest factor in cellphone life to be how far you live from the cellular tower. My iPhone buddies with the SAME phone get 1/4th as much life as I do because they don't live next to a tower like I do.

Edit: anyone else seeing a page 50 for this thread, yet when you click on it, it brings you to page 49? :p

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Got my iPhone 5 a few days ago, and after hearing all the buzz about how amazing the battery life is, mine is TERRIBLE! :confused: My iPhone 4S had "bad" battery life but it was doing much better than my iPhone 5! Put my iPhone 5 into "sleep" mode last night, at 95% battery, woke up today to 45%! Anyone know what caused this 50% drain while doing nothing? LTE was on but would that really cause such a drain, even if it wasn't being used by any apps?

Might take it back to the Apple store for a replacement, also came with scratches (like all the others :()

There is NO reason, outside of a defective battery/phone, that you should be using 50% battery in standby overnight.

Take it back.

I only lose 2%-5% over the course of 8 hours on standby during the night.

anatolie

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
There is NO reason, outside of a defective battery/phone, that you should be using 50% battery in standby overnight.

Take it back.

I only lose 2%-5% over the course of 8 hours on standby during the night.

Thanks, would the Apple store replace it if it's one from my carrier? Had to buy it at an unlocked price for a locked phone because of the way my carrier did upgrades :mad: Do I take it to Apple or my carrier for a replacement?

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Thanks, would the Apple store replace it if it's one from my carrier? Had to buy it at an unlocked price for a locked phone because of the way my carrier did upgrades :mad: Do I take it to Apple or my carrier for a replacement?

Honestly, I have no advice for taking the phone back. I didn't have to take mine back and this is my first iPhone. I have Verizon and purchased mine online, so I'm not sure. My first plan of action would be to take it in to my local Verizon store though and see what they can do.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
Can you give me some examples of what you did with the phone. E.g music for 20 mins etc

i browsed a lot (had to of been 3 hours at least) and texted a lot. most of it was on wifi with lte off but i did a lot of youtube videos (1-2 hours) which is what surprised me , i know if LTE was on i would of drained that in half the time

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I don't have any Bluetooth stuff so I keep it off all the time. I usually keep 3G disabled as I'm usually close a normal wifi network.

I was quite busy at work last week so I didn't get to use the phone much, only a few calls and texts during the week, and I browsed for maybe 20 minutes or so a day. From Friday afternoon to the around 7pm Christmas day I kept the wifi off for most of the time.

I wanted to see just how long the battery could last this time, and with almost 9 days I'm quite impressed.

I seem to get around 10 hours of usage on every charge but standby changes a bit. The lowest standby I've gotten so far is 2 days and 8 hours, but normally it hovers around 4 days or so.

That is really great, though I find that it is 3G and data especially that kills the battery, especially if you get a lot pushed to it.

My post wasn't directed at you... I was just having a little /rant fun :). But glad to see your battery life improving. I find the biggest factor in cellphone life to be how far you live from the cellular tower. My iPhone buddies with the SAME phone get 1/4th as much life as I do because they don't live next to a tower like I do.

Edit: anyone else seeing a page 50 for this thread, yet when you click on it, it brings you to page 49? :p

That is true, I live right near one (constant 5bars in my room) so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
My usage from yesterday. This is typical for me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 97

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have a question that might be relevant in this thread. I receive my e-mails very irregularly, sometimes I get ten in like two hours, other times I get nothing for a whole day. Does Push eat more battery than Fetch when there are no e-mails to be brought home?

I'm not worried about seeing an e-mail an hour after it arrived, I just want to know which the best option would be for someone who doesn't get e-mails all the time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
This is my typical battery life since release day of the phone. I think it is terrible compared to almost everyone else in my area with one to compare to. So same general signal and they get much more time out of theirs.

Should I go back to Verizon and get it exchanged? They denied me a week after release but apple said I could come in and get another, just don't live too close to an apple store.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356720714.407752.jpg

Haziza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden

I wanted to test my battery for 2 days and this is my result.

This is with like 20min of 3G surf.
10min calling
and like 70 sms.

This cant be right, sucks so bad..

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
[url=http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9255/img0241.png]Image[/URL]

I wanted to test my battery for 2 days and this is my result.

This is with like 20min of 3G surf.
10min calling
and like 70 sms.

This cant be right, sucks so bad..

Switch off 3G, wifi, the system's location services, all the notifications from apps you don't get/don't want to get notifications from etc. If you haven't used the phone more than what you state, it's obvious that there are processes using the phone for several hours per day that you should turn off if you want the battery to last longer.

Haziza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
Switch off 3G, wifi, the system's location services, all the notifications from apps you don't get/don't want to get notifications from etc. If you haven't used the phone more than what you state, it's obvious that there are processes using the phone for several hours per day that you should turn off if you want the battery to last longer.

I have everything turned off expect for 3G, is the battery faulty?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This is my typical battery life since release day of the phone. I think it is terrible compared to almost everyone else in my area with one to compare to. So same general signal and they get much more time out of theirs.

Should I go back to Verizon and get it exchanged? They denied me a week after release but apple said I could come in and get another, just don't live too close to an apple store.

View attachment 386269

This looks normal to me with your reception. At my house I have max reception and the battery is at 50% after almost 2 days of idle and 4 hours of use. However, if I go to my parent's house (1-2 bars) I get similar battery usage as you're showing in your screenshot. Imo, range from the cellular towers and usage WHILE in bad reception super decrease the life of the battery.

----------

Mine keeps getting better the longer I have it

View attachment 386740

My experience as well. I can easily get 2 days at 50% battery life whereas the first few weeks I had the phone, it was less. I notice too that I use the phone less than I did than when I first got it (I'm sure that's a factor).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have everything turned off expect for 3G, is the battery faulty?

Impossible to say, but I've experienced a lot better battery life since I started turning on 3G only when I really need it (like using Maps or surfing heavy web sites).

Then again, almost six hours usage when you only say you've used it for 1-2 hours, that's a lot of background services if everything was really turned off...

iALLOUT4eva

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
PlayDay Land
I think this is pretty decent considering I played a hour of GTA Vice City, watched about 3 hrs worth of video, and DLed about 20 songs!Also did the normal browsing face-booking and texting. ip5 6.0.2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 101

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I've been very impressed with this phone in terms of battery life. Never had an iPhone come anywhere near this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.