Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Like others here, I had been using a combo of iPod Touch and cheapie "dumb" phone. But I wanted a decent camera and good volume, so I picked up an iPhone 4 off contract, and have never activated it for cell phone service. It's been great!

I'm now thinking I'd like to jump to the iPod Touch 5th gen, but my one concern is the speaker volume.

How loud is its built-in speaker? Especially compared to an iPhone 4?
If you have an iPhone 4 that you're using as an iPod (as I do) what is your motivation for getting a 5G iPod Touch? The price hit in the upgrade doesn't seem worth it.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Just for the sake of stating of what I have:
iPod Touch 3rd gen (soon to be 5th gen) + 6 yr old dumb phone (Nokia 6300).

It all comes down to what you need or what devices you require in various situations.
I dont always carry my iPT around with me. I mostly just need phone functionality when I'm out and about, so I leave the iPT at home and slip the small Nokia 6300 in my pocket.
If you're doing a lot of travelling where you need to have your phone and iPod with you pretty much all the time then you'd probably want to have just the one device, thus iPhone 5 would be the more suitable/sensible option.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I have a 4S but for some reason want this too.

Weird combo? iPhone 4S + iPod touch 5th gen.

Don't know as of this point whether I'd be able to afford an iPhone 5S next year so might have to last me 2 years.

Main things about the touch I like the sound of are:
Bigger/better screen.
Better battery life (than my 4S for music).
I'm on wifi a lot so I can use it for iMessage and stuff.

Basically I just want to cut down my dependency on my iPhone (which lasts maybe 5-6 hours of usage before it'd die (stuff like twitter/facebook/lots of texting on both wifi and 3G).

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Like others here, I had been using a combo of iPod Touch and cheapie "dumb" phone. But I wanted a decent camera and good volume, so I picked up an iPhone 4 off contract, and have never activated it for cell phone service. It's been great!

I'm now thinking I'd like to jump to the iPod Touch 5th gen, but my one concern is the speaker volume.

How loud is its built-in speaker? Especially compared to an iPhone 4?

Don't own an iPhone, so I can make no comparisons, but if I set my touch 5G at the far end of my desk and turn the volume up high, I can walk into the next room and hear it. Since I just tested it in my office, I'll say that full volume is too loud for this environment.

As to the topic of this thread, I use a Tracfone and my iPad 2 (3G). Costs me about six bucks a month for the phone and I only buy data for my iPad when traveling so I can use Google Maps (haven't upgraded from iOS 5.1.1).

Purchased the iPod touch 5G because it fits into my pocket and it's much more convenient for some things. BTW, the camera is great.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
My nephew has a ipod touch 4th gen and uses "text free" all of the time, but it only works around wifi. I think they have an updated app that allows calls over wifi as well. Now he's got a small feature phone as well for texting and calls away from wifi.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Why upgrade from IP 4 to IPT 5?

sracer, you're right to ask the question!

I like the idea of a thin device (was so used to the IPT 2 that the iPhone 4 seems a bit thick).

Would like the camera upgrade (not major, but supposed to be better).

Interested in the bigger screen for ebook reading (although the IP4 is quite good).

The full set of iOS 6 features.

Faster processor, etc.

Who knows, though? When I get to look at one, I may just decide to keep the IP4 and buy an iPad mini!! :)

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Although my friends and family think I'm crazy, I've been a stern advocate of this approach because the cost/benefit ratio is simply not in my favor (as in, not even close...). I honestly believe that a smart phone with today's carrier plans (assuming US, I don't know what it's like internationally) is a complete waste of money for the majority of people out there...but that's solely the opinion of an accountant minded individual...anyway...

Unfortunately, I am also a minimalist, and carrying around two devices when they could be combined into one directly conflicts with my financial judgement. The camera on my 3rd gen touch is less than adequate, although in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that big of a deal. What I miss the most though is GPS. I'm old enough to remember the times getting around without GPS (do people still remember carrying around paper maps? I had to do that for a job once...), but I'm not going to lie...GPS is pretty convenient.

This has led me to my current position where I would almost be willing to take the financial hit (on second thought, no way) to satisfy my minimalist side, along with obtaining some nice extras (superior camera, GPS, uh...I suppose some other stuff...).

I suppose the only solution to all of this is to increase my revenue stream to the point where the utility expense of having a smartphone becomes immaterial...

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I just got my 5th Gen Touch and I have a Sony Android phone which I barely use.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I've been using that formula for way too long. I'm going to go and get the HTC Windows Phone 8X this month. So, my set up will be an iPod Touch 5g and an HTC 8X.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
if you live in US, go & get iPhone 5. it should be better. but if you live in other country, don't get iPhone 5. it's only good for americans. get any android phone, get ipod touch.

I'm interested why my iPhone 5 isn't as good as the US version, and that an Android Phone would be better.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I'm interested why my iPhone 5 isn't as good as the US version, and that an Android Phone would be better.

Ha indeed, i have angry memories of when turn by turn nav was only available in the US on android...

Google talk never made it here either...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
THIIIIISSS. I'm 22 (so not a tween?) and I use this. Your most critical needs (phone and messaging) have thier own (pretty much) month-lasting battery, and for your others you have your ipod touch. Also, the battery without wifi on on the Touch lasts a really long time, at least for me (currently have a 2g, will get 5g soon).
This is one of the major advantages of using 2 devices. You can drain the iPod Touch battery and still have phone/text service.

And of course in many parts of the US, the data plan requirements and prices are ridiculous.

One of the questions that will determine if the 2 device route will work for someone is if you're generally in areas with free WiFi. For me, that answer is yes.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
After reading this thread.... I once again remember the role of "manbags". :D

In USA, we call them manbags (mildly derogatory). In Europe, they go by more respectable monikers like "messenger bags".

LOL, almost every dude, young or old, rocks a manpurse here in Taiwan. I got one too and have been using a dumb phone and my US-bought iPhone 4S as an iPod Touch.

I was considering selling the 4S and getting the new Touch (for the bigger screen and thinness/lightness) but the lack of GPS and compass are dealbreakers for me. Also, no mute switch, but that's not too big a deal, just odd.

This has led me to my current position where I would almost be willing to take the financial hit (on second thought, no way) to satisfy my minimalist side, along with obtaining some nice extras (superior camera, GPS, uh...I suppose some other stuff...).

I suppose the only solution to all of this is to increase my revenue stream to the point where the utility expense of having a smartphone becomes immaterial...

Or just do like I do and use a 4/4S as an iPod Touch. Buy a used one that's off-contract and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Jelliess

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I'm currently using blackberry bold 9780 and my itouch 5g. This was my first thought and I was happy with it until iPhone is out to the public. Then I think of owning ipod 5+smartphone like iphone 5. Lol :D However, depends on individual's preferences. :)

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
This combo isn't just for the younger folks. Some of us of the older persuasion find this a much more economical way to go. Use my phone 99% for talk and only an occasional text. Just got the iPod 5 and plan to carry that when I don't want to tote my iPad (also Wi-Fi only). Just can't justify a data plan.

Engali

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Anyone try the Fredom Pop sleeve for the iPod Touch 4? Seems like the ideal solution here...

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I use a cell phone in my car for emergencies only since I'm retired and don't need or want to be connected all the time.. It's a Track Phone and cost me $19.95 every 3 months. I have a 5th generation iPodTouch and use it all the time for family calls plus a whole lot more when I travel. My home phone is VOIP, Ooma ,that cost nothing per month. So all I pay is $48 for my high speed DSL and $80/year for cell. It works very well for me but that is my situation which can be much different from others. I do find that Ooma is far better than any landline I have ever used in the past.

Jayrcee

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
USA
Given how little you get from Verizon and ATT, this is a much better, and much cheaper combo. My cellphone currently costs me 100 a year. Verizon with only 1 gig of data a month is 100 a month. Ridiculous. What's the point of supporting blazing fast transfer speeds if you're going to put idiotic data restrictions on it?

I 100% agree with this.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I have a dumb phone that syncs with my Mac via a pilfered version of iSync so that my numbers are stored on the phone. The only bad thing is that iSync doesn't use iCloud for its data so I have to store the numbers locally on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.