Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Pretty useless IMO and it could look sleeker and sexier with a touch home button don't you think?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yes.

iPhone 4 home button doesn't work well at all.

Also would be Ive's dream. Just a single sheet of glass.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Once they figure how to never let the virtual home button sense a false signal.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
No. I like it.

Can't stand using those new Nexus Androids because of that button, or the lack thereof. Sure, it's not a big deal but its annoying when you're trying to go home and it won't register. Or you accidentally press it and go where you don't want.

If they're going to move the proximity sensor, camera, and speakergrill somewhere else, then sure it might look nice without the home button. But just taking out only the home botton, its pointless.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I've pressed it so many times while typing or browsing the web, etc. it would be nice if they did some sort of biometric touch home button...

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I like the Home button. I used a Galaxy Nexus 7 for a bit which doesn't have the button and I found it annoying.

When I switched from the S3 to iPhone I really missed the Back touch botton and the menu touch buttom on the right.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't used a phone or tablet without a home button. How does Android deal with it?

Pardon my ignorance, but say Apple ditches the Home button and keep the OS the same, how would a virtual Home button work? How does the OS tells the difference between a Home button push and a click on an app screen that happens to be where the virtual Home button is?

OldRhodie

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
A virtual home button would draw current from the battery whereas a physical doesn't. I'm ok with the current design.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
just make the sleep wake button the home button, press and hold to sleep press to wake up three presses to search

----------

add a swipe gesture to open the app tray and a couple other easy gestures and voila no home button and still easy to use iphone

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I've pressed it so many times while typing or browsing the web, etc. it would be nice if they did some sort of biometric touch home button...

Then it seems YOU'RE the one with the issue as in normal use there should be no reason you "accidently" touch the home button.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of it.

It's the most-pressed button and you need to press in quick succession sometimes - which makes it pretty annoying sometimes. Go virtual or replace it with on-screen gestures/actions!

What? Why is it so annoying to have to push a button? You would have to "tap" a virtual button or do the gesture so what's the difference?

Last edited:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I would absolutely love an iPhone without a physical home button. It's the most-pressed button and you need to press in quick succession sometimes - which makes it pretty annoying sometimes. Go virtual or replace it with on-screen gestures/actions!

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
iPhone needs to stay dummied down to the soccer moms, elderly and people that aren't tech savvy. A simple button press get you back "home" that was always Apples intentions and it will stay that way to appeal to the masses. God forbid you have to think how to figure out how to get "home" :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I love that I can push the home button and swipe the lock screen all while removing the phone from my pocket. By the time my eyes are on the phone, it's ready to go.

I really don't see how a virtual button can do anything but worsen my iPhone experience.

Yes, it's a cool trick to minimize apps on the iPad with a 4-finger pinch, but I find it only works 75% of the time. It's a party trick, not a real tool. The home button does what it's supposed to and doesn't flake out on you like all these funny little gestures.

Keep the home button.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
iPhone needs to stay dummied down to the soccer moms, elderly and people that aren't tech savvy. A simple button press get you back "home" that was always Apples intentions and it will stay that way to appeal to the masses. God forbid you have to think how to figure out how to get "home" :rolleyes:

I think it's insulting to say that "the iPhone needs to stay dummied down" for a group of people.

I would consider my self tech savvy. I write codes for a living, from Nintendo Gameboy to the latest gadgets.

The thing is, I believe technology exists to serve human, not the other way around. Our brain works certain way, and a lot of time simpler is better. Sure, I can learn to perform a complicated gesture to perform certain action, often time it's not better than a simpler action that at first seems to be the longer way to get thing done. That's why toasters are simple and people like them.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Yes, or at least make it smaller like the one on ipad mini... What a waste of space the home button is

weesy

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I could go either way. Doesn't bother me much, my previous phone recently was a galaxy s3 and I liked the combination of both the home button and touchscreen back buttons, but those also Become problematic

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don't mind it. What I didn't like was them craping out rather quickly, but now with the metal bracket used in the iphone 5 it will last a while. From what I understand the ipad has always had the metal reinforced home button. I use gestures on my ipad most of the time anyway.

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
I love that I can push the home button and swipe the lock screen all while removing the phone from my pocket. By the time my eyes are on the phone, it's ready to go.

I really don't see how a virtual button can do anything but worsen my iPhone experience.

Yes, it's a cool trick to minimize apps on the iPad with a 4-finger pinch, but I find it only works 75% of the time. It's a party trick, not a real tool. The home button does what it's supposed to and doesn't flake out on you like all these funny little gestures.

Keep the home button.

Gestures on the iPad are dope.

Not a party trick.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
No, but I wish they'd ditch the mute button. It's useless and just one more tiny piece that can break over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.