Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You get great customer service along with an iPhone purchase. Why not just buy an iPhone 5, play around with it for 2 weeks and return it if you don't like it?

I just came back from a Note 2. None of the issues you described would keep me on Android. YMMV.
I agree the customer service is great, I think I'd have to buy direct from Apple as they said if I bought form a 3 store on PAYG, if it had scratch.scuff Apple retail wouldn't exchange, only from 3, hardware fault yes Apple retail but not scuff!

Coming back from Note 2 must be a massive difference for you in screen size, wow, what do you use your phone for out and about mostly? I do a lot of surfing when out with phone, and so am worried on screen downsizing from my S3. Also the shortcuts will be a miss.

I have the s3 and used it since the day the 5 was out. I cannot wait to get rid of it and go back to iOS. Mine is currently running JB via official update and its ok. The butter experience or whatever they call it helped some but the update was nothing special. The OS is so so and the widgets are a gimmick I grew bored of after a week. The only thing ill miss is the back button. Hate the plastic feel, battery life, all too often shutdowns of the OS and my fav apps, chugginess of the phone even after project butter.

Not saying iOS is perfect or not boring but experience of iOS in MY OPINION is better. Some love their android phones and that's awesome, I just prefer a smoother more polished experience on a phone designed better.

Oh I will miss the screen size a LOT. So screen size (not quality) and back button.
I agree once you've used widgets etc, and messed with settings you settle down and dont use it anymore. I got bored with touchwiz, loaded Apex, and yes was great to have extra icons in dock, different transitions, but again after a few days, its the same, so although boring as iOS is, Android gets there to.

Interesting you have an S3 as well, I'm just a bit sick of it being a bit too big now, I'm using my iPad a lot lot more at home now for surfing.

iOS is more polished without doubt

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Not me personally as I've been strictly Apple but some of my friends went from Apple to Android back to Apple while some went from Android to Apple. Biggest complaint for them is the OS and battery life.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I'm actually thinking of going back to Android.

Currently on an iPhone 5 but thinking of getting a GS3 (again) or Nexus 4. Can't decide, but may be making the switch tomorrow.

Had all the iPhones and fair few androids though part of me thinks I should sit it out for a couple of months and see what the new year brings.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Coming form Samsung galaxy s2

When I saw this thread, I know I was going to talk something about it.

I was using Samsung s2 a year back, then I regret and sell it for a price to get a new iPhone 3GS. Some of my friends think that I was crazy because it is a significant step back in terms of hardware. Well, in terms of user experience, I gain a lot.

Android phone, was prone to fragmentation. Unlike ios devices, which get the update at the same time, I have waited long enough for updates in my last s2. Although there was a known bug, I still have to wait like half a year to get an update. And, you know what? When the update is here, I updated it using ota. After the update, my phone is dead. No connection to wifi, no connection to whatsoever. It really pissed me off..

I hate the phone due to restart, heat problem, hang and battery drain. Do you believe s2 cannot handle temple run well while my 3gs can?

I am not a fan boy, but my experience tells me to thank apple for bringing us iPhone.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I'm actually thinking of going back to Android.

Currently on an iPhone 5 but thinking of getting a GS3 (again) or Nexus 4. Can't decide, but may be making the switch tomorrow.

Had all the iPhones and fair few androids though part of me thinks I should sit it out for a couple of months and see what the new year brings.
Why are you thinking of going from iPhone 5 to S3 please? What are you missing from your previous S3, that your 5 isn't giving you?

Your not in UK are you? If I go iPhone 5, I'll be selling my S3. Mines excellent nick and white, yours?

weesy

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I love my iPhone 5, it's one of many apple devices. But every once in a while I do get the itch to pick up an s3 again...

dontworry

Suspended
Mar 18, 2010
I love my s3 but there are a few things that I miss from iOS.

Stability-android has some crazy bugs even without rooting
Hardware buttons-the buttons on the s3 are junk, home button is not too bad though
music- I kinda miss iTunes...

Being able to change every little thing has kept me interested and I like working through problems to get it working how I want it. The big ass screen is great for videos and GTA with the gameklip, so much fun.

If I could blend my iP4 and GS3 I would.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm giving Android a try and really enjoying it. A lot of the things people ask for in those "what do you want in the next iPhone" threads have been addressed with my Note II. No issues with lag, crashing, bugs, whatsoever.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Why are you thinking of going from iPhone 5 to S3 please? What are you missing from your previous S3, that your 5 isn't giving you?

Your not in UK are you? If I go iPhone 5, I'll be selling my S3. Mines excellent nick and white, yours?

Well I have an Ipad Mini as well so I can get my iOS fix there. I'm a techie at heart and like to have various gadgets. Whilst I love my Apple gear, I'm also open to using other devices and have various paid apps from the play store as well so that's not so much an issue.

I really want to pull the trigger, but I'm just conscious that there's various trade shows and potential releases coming early in the new year.

I'm even contemplating trading my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 4, but the reports of micro managing the battery is putting me off.

Oh and yes.. I'm in the UK, though to be honest if I was to go down the GS3 route I'd probably be after the blue variant.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Htc hero> htc evo > htc evo 3d> gs2 > 4s > galaxy nexus > Evo lte (onex variant)> 5.

The only android phone that ever really made satisfied me was the evo, butaiy because I was new to rooting and the hero was a POS. Got the 4s and loved it, but jumped back due to screen. Eventually got i5 and I won't be leaving this phone anytime soon. The screen is great, don't miss the 4.7 of the evo lte. I don't have the time, anymore, it takes to get an android phone up to its full potential. Love the i5

I have a similar story, except mine is

Captivate > Infuse > Galaxy S 2 > Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 5

I especially agree with your last sentence.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I have an Ipad Mini as well so I can get my iOS fix there. I'm a techie at heart and like to have various gadgets. Whilst I love my Apple gear, I'm also open to using other devices and have various paid apps from the play store as well so that's not so much an issue.

I really want to pull the trigger, but I'm just conscious that there's various trade shows and potential releases coming early in the new year.

I'm even contemplating trading my iPhone 5 for a Nexus 4, but the reports of micro managing the battery is putting me off.

Oh and yes.. I'm in the UK, though to be honest if I was to go down the GS3 route I'd probably be after the blue variant.

There'll always be a new phone on the horizon though....
Ive spent in the google store but nothing major, few offers etc, but nothing. Hold me there, same as iOS really. That was my thinking originally actually as I has my iPad 2 at home I can still use airplay, have iOS etc but I suppose I'm a bit bored again and with the influx of Apple stuff we've bought in the last month, new iMac, iPad mini, iPhone 4, then I feel like I want to go Apple iPhone again.

The hardware can't be beat, although I am worried on the scuff gate, nicks, stains etc this year that ive read about. I think if I buy I'll goto Apple retail store and open it there and then to have a look.

Pity, personally on think the white is better, and what I like about the S3, is that I have a blue flip case and a Olympic blue back, looks nice in contrast, maybe a deal could have been struck...

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I came back, but for an odd reason.

Got a VZ Mini, enjoyed the web browsing so much, I wanted a smaller phone, since I carry the Mini with me, so I scrounged up a used iP5 on VZ to replace my S3.

HectorBrower85

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I came back from a samsung corby phone, which is not a thing to compare with other smartphones but it's still android, so it still counts :). I got an iphone 5 as a gift for Christmas.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I came from the HTC One X because I missed the physical home button and the fact that it doesn't get hot when doing non demanding stuff. Web browsing on the iPhone is a lot better in comparison to the One X which was the tiebreaker for me. Do miss the widgets though.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I came back, but for an odd reason.

Got a VZ Mini, enjoyed the web browsing so much, I wanted a smaller phone, since I carry the Mini with me, so I scrounged up a used iP5 on VZ to replace my S3.
Not sure which phone a VX mini is sorry, I'm from UK btw.

I came from the HTC One X because I missed the physical home button and the fact that it doesn't get hot when doing non demanding stuff. Web browsing on the iPhone is a lot better in comparison to the One X which was the tiebreaker for me. Do miss the widgets though.
So web browsing is what I do a lot on the go, so your saying that you weren't bothered by the screen reduction from the One X 4.7" to the iPhone 5 4"? That's good if so.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well went and dropped £600 on a white 32Gb.

Trying it out now, as get 14 days to return it. Loving the actual hardware, physical size is better to. Ive put a griffin reveal case on it, liking that to.

I'm missing the keyboard though of my S3 big style. The tap tap tap of the iPhone is more difficult now. Apple must address this soon, SMS, iMessage, email etc all require a lot of keyboard input, the swype worked really well, please Apple do something like this ASAP.

I've stopped looking at my S3 screen as it "spoils" my iPhone 5, size wise I mean. I like the much slicker, smoother experience though on iOS, acted the stutter and home screen lag. I prefer the multi tasking on iPhone.

Still undecided but with other Apple stuff I'm thinking I'll keep the iPhone 5....maybe...

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm giving Android a try and really enjoying it. A lot of the things people ask for in those "what do you want in the next iPhone" threads have been addressed with my Note II. No issues with lag, crashing, bugs, whatsoever.

Yeah, I just got a Note II and it's amazing. No-one I show it to can believe the quality of video on this thing, it's fantastic.

I've found Mac integration pretty easy. I downloaded a couple of helper apps, and now have iCloud syncing for calendar/address book. Music syncing is more difficult but I'll get there.

What I really like is not paying Apple's massive markup for a larger memory model. It only cost me £40 to get a 64GB SD card... compared to the £170 Apple charge to go from 16GB to 64GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.