Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gunson91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Hi there.

I've had my Retina MBP for a few weeks now, and I'm very pleased with it. Today I decided to install Windows 7 on it, using Boot Camp because i wanna play games like SWTOR. I read a lot of places that Windows 7 takes around 22Gb space so i decided to go with 50Gb on Windows in Boot Camp Assistant.
The installation went fine - nice and quick. But I got a few problems.
First of all I can't get the trackpad to work like in OS X and I also got a message about the USB driver not being installed as it should.
I did follow several guides before installing Windows, so I got all the drivers on my USB drive.
These are all problems that I can live with, since I'm only gonna use Windows for gaming and therefore use a mouse instead of the trackpad.
But my biggest problem is that after I installed windows and opened "my computer" I saw that there was only 10Gb space left!? I mean, all the drivers and stuff takes some space too, but it shouldn't take 40 Gb?? 10Gb just ain't enough for SWTOR which needs around 25 Gb.

So my question is... Does Windows 7 really take around 40Gb space OR have I done something wrong? And more important, what can I do to fix this problem?
Do I have to do it all over again?

I hope somebody can help me.

- Martin

Lyrrad

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
You could try looking to see if there's space reserved for a pagefile and a sleep image. If there is, then I think by default they'll each reserve the amount of RAM on the card drive. If you have a 13" that's 2X8GB, and with a 15" either 2X8 or 2X16GB.

I think others will soon reply with more details on your issue.

An alternative would be to install programs to an external drive or to allocate more room to Boot Camp.

There are separate threads for solutions to other issues like installing the entire OS to an external drive, an a third-party Trackpad driver that might help.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Check to see how much virtual memory is allocated to Windows; I think the default is set to match the amount of physical memory you have. If you have 4-8GB (or more) RAM, you should be able reduce the virtual memory without a dip in performance.

*click the images to make them larger*

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced system settings
O37lB.png

Go to the 'Advanced' tab.
2Txpi.png

Click 'Change…'
hU1lq.png

Uncheck the box at the top, click the 'Custom size' radio button, enter your min and max values, set, then click ok.
HqfTr.png

I recommend not going lower than 1GB; any higher than 2GB is a bit excessive.

Also, keep in mind that Windows uses base-2/gibibytes (1024MB = 1GB) instead of base-10/gigabytes (1000MB = 1GB), so your 50GB partition - in the Windows world - is actually closer to 46.

Last edited:

Gunson91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks man!
It gave me like 11GB extra on my Windows partition! And it's still giving me a score of 50 FPS in cinebench!
I feel a little stupid that I didn't give more space to Windows when I installed it, so I think I'm gonna reinstall it anyway and give it around 80GB this time.
But thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.