Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hi guys. So I went to Mexico and now some of my apps (Facebook, uploading to Instagram but not updating the news feed, Netflix, iMessages, and sometimes flipboard) won't update or work. I am running iOS 6.0 on my iPad 4 and I believe iOS 6.0.2 on my iPhone 5. Like I introduced earlier, sometimes flipboard decides to update, I can refresh my Instagram newsfeed but not upload, and sometimes (meaning twice) have I been able to send iMessages. The control for this, though, is that I can access the Internet normally through a browser. Also, another person in my party has an iPhone 4S and is able to update Facebook, watch Netflix, send iMessages, and probably (but not tested) upload to Instagram. The Internet we have is infinitum and I believe it has a dynamic ip (something I'm not used to) as the IP address on all the devices are different. I'm not sure how I should go around fixing this but any tips would be appreciated.

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
That is because yo do not have the us ip address! Netflix will not work outside of the us if your account is in the us!

But why does Netflix work on my sister's iPhone here in Mexico. It also works on my Macbook pro. Remember, there was a deal a while ago where Netflix will work in other countries, such as Mexico, but with a limited catalog determined by the licensing deal put in place.

The issue is that it works on my sisters iPhone 4s running iOS 5.something but not my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2 or my iPad 4 running iOS 6.0. I get a connection error saying it times out. I believe this is what also happens when I try to update my news feed on Facebook or upload to instagram and possibly the same while trying to send an iMessage (something I did before on iOS 5 last year and actually did once or twice on earlier today). Any ideas?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
But why does Netflix work on my sister's iPhone here in Mexico. It also works on my Macbook pro. Remember, there was a deal a while ago where Netflix will work in other countries, such as Mexico, but with a limited catalog determined by the licensing deal put in place.

The issue is that it works on my sisters iPhone 4s running iOS 5.something but not my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2 or my iPad 4 running iOS 6.0. I get a connection error saying it times out. I believe this is what also happens when I try to update my news feed on Facebook or upload to instagram and possibly the same while trying to send an iMessage (something I did before on iOS 5 last year and actually did once or twice on earlier today). Any ideas?

Not true.

I have no idea then! Cuz it is not working for me here in asia with my us account! Hulu, netflix, amazon you name it :(

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I have no idea then! Cuz it is not working for me here in asia with my us account! Hulu, netflix, amazon you name it :(

That is because Netflix has a licensing agreement with certain countries with a select catalog for each country. Where you are located probably does not have that agreement in place. You could set up a VPN and try that and if you are in China, you also have to contend with the great firewall.

Now, back to the weird situation I am in...

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I'll bring up the iMessage issue here since that is so intermittent. It seems to not work throughout the day but, just now, like before, I get a flood of ones that were to be delivered before and now I can send them. Any ideas?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hi guys. So I went to Mexico and now some of my apps (Facebook, uploading to Instagram but not updating the news feed, Netflix, iMessages, and sometimes flipboard) won't update or work. I am running iOS 6.0 on my iPad 4 and I believe iOS 6.0.2 on my iPhone 5. Like I introduced earlier, sometimes flipboard decides to update, I can refresh my Instagram newsfeed but not upload, and sometimes (meaning twice) have I been able to send iMessages. The control for this, though, is that I can access the Internet normally through a browser. Also, another person in my party has an iPhone 4S and is able to update Facebook, watch Netflix, send iMessages, and probably (but not tested) upload to Instagram. The Internet we have is infinitum and I believe it has a dynamic ip (something I'm not used to) as the IP address on all the devices are different. I'm not sure how I should go around fixing this but any tips would be appreciated.

Ah, you have the same problem I had, my friend. You can't upload any kind of media file like photos to Instagram, photos via WhatsApp, attach files to an email or use Soundhound, etc. I thought it was an iOS 6 problem (well, actually it is). You need to use a Huawei modem; technicolor or 2Wire for example have something with iOS 6 that won't allow to work with media files. You can work normally with an iOS device running iOS 5.1.1 or lower.

You can call to 01 800 123 4335 (Telmex Plus Support) explain your problem and request a Huawei modem –which I did– (They will tell you that they don't use Huawei anymore and will try to give you a Techicolor, just tell them that you don't mind having an used one) They delayed like three weeks though. I hate them.

Cheers from Mexico.

Last edited:

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Ah, you have the same problem I had, my friend. You can't upload any kind of media file like photos to Instagram, photos via WhatsApp, attach files to an email or use Soundhound, etc. I thought it was an iOS 6 problem (well, actually it is). You need to use a Huawei modem; technicolor or 2Wire for example have something with iOS 6 that won't allow to work with media files. You can work normally with an iOS device running iOS 5.1.1 or lower.

You can call to 01 800 123 4335 (Telmex Plus Support) explain your problem and request a Huawei modem –which I did– (They will tell you that they don't use Huawei anymore and will try to give you a Techicolor, just tell them that you don't mind having an used one) They delayed like three weeks though. I hate them.

Cheers from Mexico.

Thanks. My router is a Techicolor which is why it does not work I suppose. Even the app store doesn't work. Once I saw the newer router style, I thought there may be some problems. I don't believe that changing will be possible, though, as this is going to be a short trip but will be useful information for when I come back down to my house here. Do you know if there is a workaround somewhere that can be tested?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks. My router is a Techicolor which is why it does not work I suppose. Even the app store doesn't work. Once I saw the newer router style, I thought there may be some problems. I don't believe that changing will be possible, though, as this is going to be a short trip but will be useful information for when I come back down to my house here. Do you know if there is a workaround somewhere that can be tested?

I read that manually modifying the MTP (or something like that) solves the problem, unfortunately, you can't change those parameters on the technicolor. So it'll be requesting the change, wait for apple to fix this issue with 6.1 or 7 or use 3G. Sorry bro :(

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I read that manually modifying the MTP (or something like that) solves the problem, unfortunately, you can't change those parameters on the technicolor. So it'll be requesting the change, wait for apple to fix this issue with 6.1 or 7 or use 3G. Sorry bro :(

Alright thanks for the help. I guess I will be relying on friend's internet for those needs for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.