Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I've had my 32GB Nexus 7 and I have to admit, I really do love the device. But I also have an Android phone (SGS2) and it simply seems like a larger version of my phone so in a sense, it's a waste.

I've been considering the move over to the iPad Mini and I'm not sure if it's really an upgrade or not. I don't want this to turn into some kind of negative thread throwing insults at one platform vs. another... I honestly would just like some honest comparisons from those that have had a hand's on experience with both.

I had every iPhone up to the 4S so I have a pretty vast iTunes library of media so that's a plus. I'm of the belief that maybe having an Android phone and iOS tablet might be the best of both worlds.

I'd welcome any constructive comments. Thanks!

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
If you're not interested in your phone and tablet syncing then I think it would be a good idea. You get the bets of both worlds. IMO

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Completely different OS as you know. I never bothered with Apple's ipads because I didn't want to spend the asking price. Well I got the MINI since the price was more reasonable and liked the OS so much, I returned it and got the 4th gen.

If you are particular about screen quality, the Mini isn't terrible versus the Nexus 7 (I own one) but I'm sure you are going to notice a difference especially in portrait mode when web browsing. The larger real estate on the Mini though is a plus. Some folks feel space is wasted on the nexus 7 versus 4:3 on the MINI. Cannot hurt to try one on for size and see how you feel.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
The larger real estate on the Mini though is a plus. Some folks feel space is wasted on the nexus 7 versus 4:3 on the MINI.

I recently returned my Nexus 7 due to some software issues. The biggest thing that annoyed me with the Nexus 7 was web browsing in landscape mode. So much of the screen is wasted. It felt like surfing on my cellphone. I saw some article online comparing web browsing between the iPad Mini and Nexus 7. The iPad Mini had 67% more viewing space in landscape mode. I'm contemplating buying a Mini but not sure if I should buy now or wait till they're upgraded with the retina display. I currently own an iPad2. Perhaps I wouldn't mind a 'retina-less' display Mini.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's all about the apps.

I would love my Nexus 7 if it wasn't for the lack of quality tablet apps. Even the phone apps are not as polished as on the iOS side.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I recently returned my Nexus 7 due to some software issues. The biggest thing that annoyed me with the Nexus 7 was web browsing in landscape mode. So much of the screen is wasted. It felt like surfing on my cellphone. I saw some article online comparing web browsing between the iPad Mini and Nexus 7. The iPad Mini had 67% more viewing space in landscape mode. I'm contemplating buying a Mini but not sure if I should buy now or wait till they're upgraded with the retina display. I currently own an iPad2. Perhaps I wouldn't mind a 'retina-less' display Mini.

I just don't think with the way sales are going for the Mini that Apple will release a Mini 2 for awhile. No one obviously knows but my feeling is if an Ipad comes soon, it will be a slimmer and lighter version of 4th gen with Retina.

Folks that owned a 2 gen are quite happy with the Mini, both for form factor and the screen. That is just from my reading posts on this forum, I never owned it. If you use the Mini in landscape mode and for mobile versions of websites, you should be fine (even in portrait mode probably). Desktop versions are rather hard to read text on the Mini in porttrait.

I am pretty sure Best Buy offers sort of a protection plan for electronics cause they are well aware how they evovle rather quickly and give the customer insurance so to speak to allow for better trade in value. Ask about it if you are interested at one of their stores.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Have the 7, played around with my daughter's new Mini a lot the last two days.

The biggest updside to the Mini is the screen size for browsiwng and tablet based apps. I also find the overall smoothness of the scrolling/movement and accuracy of the links/keyboard is better on the Mini.

I prefer the size, or more specifically, the shape of the Nexus for fitting in pockets, sweatshirts - etc. The rubber backing also seems a bit more durable..it's a product I have problem throwing in a pocket at the last minute when I'm taking my kid to practice or in a briefcase for a work trip. The Mini seemed a bit more 'fragile' in that I think I'd get a case for it.

Both are good products with their pros and cons. The zealots on both sides can be annoying...neither device is perfect.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
I also have the SGS2 and really like it. I also have an iPad (original) and enjoy that also.

As soon as the makers improve a couple of Android apps which I use and redesign them to work on Android tablets, I will ditch the iPad and buy the Nexus.

I may well consider keeping a foot in each camp - just to hedge my bets!

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena

I've been contemplating a Nexus 7 for a while, until I saw the Mini. The Nexus is a great device, but after having played a bit with both in shops, I came away with the same impression as you, next to the iPad Mini, it feels a bit like a giant phone.

Here's a screencap from a youtube video showing how much extra the mini shows

capture_004_26112012_125517a.jpg

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I've been contemplating a Nexus 7 for a while, until I saw the Mini. The Nexus is a great device, but after having played a bit with both in shops, I came away with the same impression as you, next to the iPad Mini, it feels a bit like a giant phone.

Here's a screencap from a youtube video showing how much extra the mini shows

This and app selection are exactly why I like my mini better than my nexus. The difference in display area is truly significant and more so because of android's software buttons that reduce even more of the screen area. Reading in the Kindle app on the nexus is a joke.

Also tired of apps that just don't work on Nexus. On my mini, the worst that could happen is that an app is iphone-sized. But it'll still run just fine. App selection and curation is clearly better on the iOS side.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
I had my first substantial play with a Mini today and really liked it. However, I'm going to wait for the rumoured HD version. I like the idea of having a foot in both Android and iOS (my iPad 2 isn't really MY iPad 2 anymore) so will likely keep the Nexus 7.

Where the Nexus 7 excels is film/TV content where you get full 16:9 with very little in the way of border. Netflix and BBC iPlayer are both an absolute pleasure to use on the Nexus and both take advantage of the Nexus's HD screen (just about, most of the time on our Internet connection).

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Well... I need to put my dollars worth in. I have had my mini since launch and as many out there struggled with all that it was lacking, I struggled trying to decide if it was worth the compromises. I was lucky enough to win a Nexus 7 and have been playing with it all day long. well... To be honest... I like the mini better even though the pixel density is not as high as that of the Nexus 7.

The Nexus is my first Android device and must say that I like the size of it but with it comes a smaller screen. I have noticed that some of the Apps are displayed differently such as Pulse. On the Nexus it is much more readable because the text and boxes display much larger than that of the mini. I have put a few games on it to test the Tegra Processor out and... honestly, I am not a gaming freak so I don't really notice a distinguishable difference between the two devices.

Now the only thing that I do like about the Nexus more than my mini is that it has an integrated GPS chip. This is only important to those mini owners that have the wifi only version. But still... the Nexus isn't a far superior device by any means. Its a bit thicker than the mini but big deal. Now I don't take pictures often but when I do, its nice to take them using a rear camera which the nexus does not. It was a bit difficult taking a picture of a bar code or a picture of a receipt. Oh, I do like the live backgrounds but I can live without them.

It may be my inner apple snobbery but I just like my mini better than the Nexus. I am not sure what to do with my nexus but I can't complain because after all it was free. If I had paid for it, I would probably have taken it back by now.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Stick with one OS. You're missing out on a ton of cool features by using multiple OSs, not to mention the muscle memory and cost.

Decide on the OS first, then decide hardware.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Stick with one OS. You're missing out on a ton of cool features by using multiple OSs, not to mention the muscle memory and cost.

Why do you need muscle memory on a mini tablet? Is there an Olympic event for it? :p

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010

I personally have no real issues switching between android and iOS.

I echo the OP's feelings, personally I find it a little redundant to use both an iPhone and iPad, once I switched my phone to Android, I knew I'd be getting iPad. I love Android, but only in phone form, I find the tablets lacking.

To each their own though

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks everyone for the input! I got one reserved at my local Apple Retail store and I'm gonna pick it up and have them both hand in hand to compare for a couple days. I figure that's the only way I'll truly know which is best.

I do see the appeal of having one primary ecosystem with which to work for App purchases, etc. but honestly I want to use my phone and tab as completely two separate devices. The need for sharing info between them honestly isn't a concern as the tab is mostly a nightly device while I'm at home.

Again, thx for the feedback and giving me some good info to think about.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
As a Nexus 7 owner myself, I can tell you that you made the right choice just for the apps alone not to mention the design/form factor of the mini and the bigger screen. You lose a few pixels but you gain so much more. If you were never considering the "full" iPad than the mini was the way to go for sure.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...I'm happy with the Nexus7 that I got for $178 new (yeah its only 16Gb internal storage) for half the price of a similar iPad mini...I tend to stay away from 1st gen :apple: hardware unless I can get it really cheaply like I did with my iPad original when the iPad2's came out:D

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I remember when I bought a Creative Zen Vision M instead of an iPod Classic, when those were the devices of choice. I purchased the Zen, because it offered a ton of extra features at the same price of an iPod. I also got it because I didn't wanna be like everyone else with a damn iPod.

Dumb idea.

The Zen's FM radio tuner stopped working a few months after purchase. Other features stopped soon after and I was left with a brick. Bought an iPod after and had nary a problem.

Fast forward some years and I buy myself a Nexus 7 because I wanna see what all the Android fuss is all about. Besides that, everyone had a damn iPad. Well, I do enjoy the Nexus 7. The form factor is lovely. I enjoy having my tablet springboard look like "me."

But the Google Play Store is just... meh. Most games run terribly in comparison to iOS. I bought the tablet for media consumption, mostly, and I barely enjoy it for that. Hell, the YouTube app sucks serious ball juice when put alongside the iOS version. My tablet crashes a LOT. And it never just "works." Anyway, for me, I'm Apple from here on out. Hate and call Apple fans sheep all you want. But one thing I know is the stuff just works. Nexus and Android? Hmmm. Wouldn't recommend a N7 to anyone after my disappointment.

/rant

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I remember when I bought a Creative Zen Vision M instead of an iPod Classic, when those were the devices of choice. I purchased the Zen, because it offered a ton of extra features at the same price of an iPod. I also got it because I didn't wanna be like everyone else with a damn iPod.

Dumb idea.

The Zen's FM radio tuner stopped working a few months after purchase. Other features stopped soon after and I was left with a brick. Bought an iPod after and had nary a problem.

Fast forward some years and I buy myself a Nexus 7 because I wanna see what all the Android fuss is all about. Besides that, everyone had a damn iPad. Well, I do enjoy the Nexus 7. The form factor is lovely. I enjoy having my tablet springboard look like "me."

But the Google Play Store is just... meh. Most games run terribly in comparison to iOS. I bought the tablet for media consumption, mostly, and I barely enjoy it for that. Hell, the YouTube app sucks serious ball juice when put alongside the iOS version. My tablet crashes a LOT. And it never just "works." Anyway, for me, I'm Apple from here on out. Hate and call Apple fans sheep all you want. But one thing I know is the stuff just works. Nexus and Android? Hmmm. Wouldn't recommend a N7 to anyone after my disappointment.

/rant

I'm pretty pleased with media consumption on it, but don't watch YouTube, so I guess my experience is different. Android is working great without a single crash so far (unlike Ice Cream Sandwich on the Asus Prime earlier in the year).

Overall, though, Apple is always the safe bet. I wouldn't even know what to do if I had a hardware problem with the Nexus, but with Apple, I could go to a store anywhere in the world and they'd probably get me sorted out that day (they have two times in the past with new devices as replacements on the spot).

Android is great, and I might end up moving over to it on a permanemt basis, but I will definitely miss the peace of mind you get with any Apple product, even if I have to give up a lot more money and flexibility to be in the Appleverse.

mattfab

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have just recently bought myself an ipad 4th generation, and I love it. I've been doing a couple of months of research before buying this ipad, the research being from the features of the ipad and comparing it to android tablets. I haven't used the nexus 7 yet, but ive used similar android tablets, and honestly, the ipad would be a better choice. I have an android phone, that I really like, but android tablets just don't seem as good as iPads. One reason being that many apps aren't optimized for android tablets yet, while there are over 275,000 ipad optimized apps. Every game I've downloaded so far works and looks great on the ipad, and every app I have is optimized for the ipad. There are many other reasons why I prefer the ipad, but I really like having an android phone and an apple tablet. U really do get the best of both worlds.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

Dumb idea.

/rant

While some of your points were valid, you lose some credibility when you claim the YouTube app is better on iOS than another Google product. (well technically, 'designed for Google to market' product)

Media consumption is the one thing the Google excels at. It's tablet based apps where it generally lags behind.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
While some of your points were valid, you lose some credibility when you claim the YouTube app is better on iOS than another Google product. (well technically, 'designed for Google to market' product)

Media consumption is the one thing the Google excels at. It's tablet based apps where it generally lags behind.

Have you seen the YouTube app for Nexus 7? Its atrocious. You can't even choose upload date, relevance, etc.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

I prefer Apple products after years of using them. Yet as a tech enthusiast, I choose to use Android & iOS, since I find it fun, interesting & educational. They both have their advantages.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Have you seen the YouTube app for Nexus 7? Its atrocious. You can't even choose upload date, relevance, etc.

I never use the app, I just use the browser. Best part is you can still view some flash on android should the need arise. Quad core CPUs help here.

I had an n7, nice device. I had iPhone 4S/5 and iPad but I found my iPhone 4S was delegated to basic phone duties after getting an iPad in 2010. My usage was maybe 80/20 iPad/iPhone.

So I decided after the 5 wasn't anything earth shattering to get android. I felt that android has matured at least in the phone market, tablets ok, just not fully there yet.

So I got a Galaxy note 2, returned the ip5, sold my N7 and BB PB, and now just have an4th gen iPad and the galaxy note 2. Now my usage is more like 60/40 or 50/50 depending on the day.

Best tablet, best phone IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.