Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Hey guys. Now first of all, don't get me wrong.. I am totally in love with my mini... Now that I have a good one. It took me 9 iPads.
The first one had a pinkish tint. It wasn't even that bad but I thought, oh well might as well take it back so I can get a new one which is perfect..
I was pretty wrong. The second and third one had pretty big white (dust I presume) particles under the screen. The fourth one had dead pixel. The fifth had a strange grey pixel. The 6th-9th ones had dust under the screen again.
This is my tenth and while there is still a really small dust particle under the screen, it's too small to see when the screen is on and can really only be seen if the screen is black and if enough light from outside gets to the screen. I obviously decided to keep this one as this is the best I've if gotten yet.

So if you're a nit picker like me, think twice before buying an iPad mini. The dust particles were actually pretty clear and even visible for those whose eyes aren't in their prime anymore.

Also, I live in the Netherlands. It could just be that we are the victim of a bad batch.

It is statistically IMPOSSIBLE for you or anyone else to get 9 bad ipads in a row. You are either misunderstanding the device and calling normal things defects, or you have OCD of some sort.

Argue with me all you want but something else is going on here.

----------

I don't understand why expecting a product which is a) costing a lot of money and b) marketed as perfection not to have imperfections as listed by OP as OCD.

PJ

Its fine if we are speaking of real issues...but 9 units indicates owner issues not device issues.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
It is statistically IMPOSSIBLE for you or anyone else to get 9 bad ipads in a row. You are either misunderstanding the device and calling normal things defects, or you have OCD of some sort.

Argue with me all you want but something else is going on here.

----------

Its fine if we are speaking of real issues...but 9 units indicates owner issues not device issues.

Well yeah I "suffer" from hyper focus. Which basically means once I notice something that bothers me, I have a hard time it go. Still if the device was alright I wouldn't be focussing on something.

Also something that is inconsistent trough devices can not be a part of the device. I am not retarded and I have a well enough understanding of computers etc.

And statistically it IS possible. Statistically there would even be a chance, however small that would be, for me to receive "defect" iPads for as long as I live. Obviously you don't know how statistics work.

There is no way you could've made a reasonable conclusion out of the fact that I've had 9 iPads.

----------

It's sad that in the interest of getting more site traffic, MR lets threads like this continue. Soon MacRumors will be called MacLies, MacLibel or MacWhoCanSpinTheBiggestFable.

Why would I spread lies about the iPad Mini?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Something consistant about all these "i'm on my 10's xxxx"

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Hey guys. Now first of all, don't get me wrong.. I am totally in love with my mini... Now that I have a good one. It took me 9 iPads.
The first one had a pinkish tint. It wasn't even that bad but I thought, oh well might as well take it back so I can get a new one which is perfect..
I was pretty wrong. The second and third one had pretty big white (dust I presume) particles under the screen. The fourth one had dead pixel. The fifth had a strange grey pixel. The 6th-9th ones had dust under the screen again.
This is my tenth and while there is still a really small dust particle under the screen, it's too small to see when the screen is on and can really only be seen if the screen is black and if enough light from outside gets to the screen. I obviously decided to keep this one as this is the best I've if gotten yet.

So if you're a nit picker like me, think twice before buying an iPad mini. The dust particles were actually pretty clear and even visible for those whose eyes aren't in their prime anymore.

Also, I live in the Netherlands. It could just be that we are the victim of a bad batch.

Good God. You need a good therapist. It's an iPad.

----------

Okay I don't know why everyone is so hostile. I know there are people like me who want their device to be perfect so it's just a warning for them. If you are one of those people who don't care why would you even bother to reply to this thread?

----------

Well I brought a lot of apps and the normal iPad is too heavy for what I mostly use it for so this was the only thing I really could buy.

No one's being hostile. We're just utterly blown away by how ridiculous your original post sounds. The headline makes it seem like there is something really important to be aware of. But there isn't.

----------

I don't understand why expecting a product which is a) costing a lot of money and b) marketed as perfection not to have imperfections as listed by OP as OCD.

PJ

Marketed as perfection? Where?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
How many more trollish threads like this do we need? It's like there is always someone trying to beat the last poster's "I went through XXX iPads before I found a good one."

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I am either lucky or completely ignorant. Out of the 20+ apple products I have purchased in the last 7-8 years, I haven't had a significant problem with any of them. Maybe I just don't know what a bad pixel looks like.

Aug 5, 2012

----------

No one's being hostile. We're just utterly blown away by how ridiculous your original post sounds. The headline makes it seem like there is something really important to be aware of. But there isn't.

----------

You need to get your head out of the clouds

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012

----------

----------

Well yeah sorry but I don't have thousands to spare. An iPad is a big investment for me, so sorry for wanting it to be alright in stead of having to scroll a page cause I can't read some letters because it being covered by dust.

----------

How many more trollish threads like this do we need? It's like there is always someone trying to beat the last poster's "I went through XXX iPads before I found a good one."

Well believe me if my first one was alright I would've settled. It's not like I wanted to achieve the highest numbers of swappings or something. I just want a good device.

----------

And come on do you guys really believe this is a hoax? How damn ignorant are you guys. I'm sorry for bursting your bubble but Apple isn't perfect, just like Samsung and the others which were bashed for minor production issues. the difference is that Apple got praised into heaven for having supposedly having such a great build quality.

I love my iDevice and might even get me an iPhone 5 or 4S. But apple is just imperfect. I just wanted to warn NITPICKERS like me, which I also made clear in my first post. I know people like me are out there so if you're not one of them disregard this post and move on.

----------

I am either lucky or completely ignorant. Out of the 20+ apple products I have purchased in the last 7-8 years, I haven't had a significant problem with any of them. Maybe I just don't know what a bad pixel looks like.

Yeah I just seem to have the "amazing" ability to tell every devices shortcomings. I do realize that not everyone is like that. But there might also just be a chance that you've never even had a bad device.
Atleast you're not being a dick about it :)

----------

I have changed the title. If anyone still has the urge to bash this thread, then they are utterly pathetic and need to get a life.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
OP, I'd keep going till you get a device you're happy with. You didn't purchase a defective device at a discount, did you.

To all of you commenting who had a perfect device straight off... Well done. As you haven't had to experience the disappointment of a faulty device, you don't really have any grounds to comment really.

To those who have accepted a faulty device, well done to you too. You're obviously happy with paying a premium for a defective device, or haven't got the balls to do anything about it.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Well yeah sorry but I don't have thousands to spare. An iPad is a big investment for me, so sorry for wanting it to be alright in stead of having to scroll a page cause I can't read some letters because it being covered by dust.

----------

Well believe me if my first one was alright I would've settled. It's not like I wanted to achieve the highest numbers of swappings or something. I just want a good device.

----------

And come on do you guys really believe this is a hoax? How damn ignorant are you guys. I'm sorry for bursting your bubble but Apple isn't perfect, just like Samsung and the others which were bashed for minor production issues. the difference is that Apple got praised into heaven for having supposedly having such a great build quality.

I love my iDevice and might even get me an iPhone 5 or 4S. But apple is just imperfect. I just wanted to warn NITPICKERS like me, which I also made clear in my first post. I know people like me are out there so if you're not one of them disregard this post and move on.

----------

Yeah I just seem to have the "amazing" ability to tell every devices shortcomings. I do realize that not everyone is like that. But there might also just be a chance that you've never even had a bad device.
Atleast you're not being a dick about it :)

----------

I have changed the title. If anyone still has the urge to bash this thread, then they are utterly pathetic and need to get a life.
Thanks for changing your headline. Much more appropriate.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
To those who have accepted a faulty device, well done to you too. You're obviously happy with paying a premium for a defective device, or haven't got the balls to do anything about it.

Hilarious how defective and faulty = not perfect, courage = returning a purchase multiple times and the insults have started for anyone who disagrees.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Seriously. I bought mine, no problems. And gave one as a gift without issue. People find errors in everything.

Get with the program;

1. They are not errors, they are defects.
2. People who claim their device had no errors simply do not have the balls to both look for them and then do something about it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
9 iPads?

No offence but I don't believe you. We have lots of iPads at work since they're issued to higher ups now and we may get one defect out of 400.

I think if you really returned that many you have unrealistic expectations of consumer electronics or anything manufactured in general.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
9 iPads?

No offence but I don't believe you. We have lots of iPads at work since they're issued to higher ups now and we may get one defect out of 400.

I think if you really returned that many you have unrealistic expectations of consumer electronics or anything manufactured in general.

Well first I had one, I brought it to repair 4 times and got 4 replacements. I sold the last one to someone who didn't care. Bhought a new one and returned that one the same day till I had a good one.

Why would I make this up?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Well yeah I "suffer" from hyper focus. Which basically means once I notice something that bothers me, I have a hard time...

Don't buy any McVities Hobnobs, I can never buy a whole pack without finding one broken, its so irritating.

Here is a photo.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Don't buy any McVities Hobnobs, I can never buy a whole pack without finding one broken, its so irritating.

Here is a photo.

[url=http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/tonguita/th_mcvities-hobnobs-dark-chocolate.jpg]Image[/URL]

Uhm okay you seem to fail to understand what I said. A broken cookie doesn't bother me so I don't focus on it. I don't even suffer from it that much in day to day life. The thing is that if I spend €430 on a device that should be perfect but which isn't, yeah it bothers me and I can't disregard the little piece of dust that's under my screen.

Your post was bad and you should feel bad.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
While I admit that I am picky, I did not have any problem with the first 3 generations of the iPad and considered their screens to be perfect. I returned my first 3 iPad 4s because of areas of yellow tinting on the screen before getting the 4th one which is perfect. I'm not talking about a "warmer screen" but irregulars areas of yellow on the screens that did not seem to be diminishing. Maybe someone else would have been satisfied with the yellow tinting, but I wasn't for the price of $800 (or any price really). Unfortunately I believe that while the OP was unlucky, it is certainly possible to get 10 defective devices in a row and I wouldn't have kept them either.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
While I admit that I am picky, I did not have any problem with the first 3 generations of the iPad and considered their screens to be perfect. I returned my first 3 iPad 4s because of areas of yellow tinting on the screen before getting the 4th one which is perfect. I'm not talking about a "warmer screen" but irregulars areas of yellow on the screens that did not seem to be diminishing. Maybe someone else would have been satisfied with the yellow tinting, but I wasn't for the price of $800 (or any price really). Unfortunately I believe that while the OP was unlucky, it is certainly possible to get 10 defective devices in a row and I wouldn't have kept them either.

Irregular tinting to me is worse than just an overal tint, so I get why you took it back.
Also thanks :D

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Curious if you got each from the same resource. Unless you had no chioce, why not try elsewhere.

If we did a poll with how many a person had to return to get one they were satisfied with, you easily would have the greatest amount.

If these were brand spanking new, the quality control seems outright terrible to get this many with dust, tint, etc with this batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.