Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Well that's sort of the point here - many phones seem to be damaged in some way out of the box, let alone after use. You say you can't make everything perfect - well I don't remember problems like this with any previous generation iPhone. I design and manufacture product myself and know full well that I sometimes have to change things if production proves to be problematic. I don't expect my customers to excuse poor quality, especially at high prices.

You will always have a number of faulty items slip through the net, usually a very low percentage - from the fuss being made it seems like the iPhone 5 has more issues than previous generations.

What fuss? The 1000 or so OCD users on a fanboy (myself included, no offense) forum on the internet??? That's not a fuss. That's a whine by a teeny tiny percentage of users (and remember, usually only complainers post anyway, the happy folks have no reason to come on and spout off about everything being "fine").

And if you don't remember problems with previous generations that's mighty selective of you... The Original iPhone had that awful chrome bezel (that if it didn't have scratches out of the box it would within hours...), 3G/S had a plastic back that often cracked on the edges where it met the phone's body AND had the bezel issues too, and the 4 had ANTENNAGATE, yellow screen "gate" and glass that people couldn't help themselves from breaking! Even the 4S had "batterygate" and blue/yellow screen "gate" even if it solved "antennagate".

None of these were "real" problems unless you buy into the whole forums being reality thing. If that's the case Apple would be out of business by now with all the disasters it's facing...

This "none of my old iPhones had any problems out of the box" LIE, is a lot like remembering ex-girlfriends. If you find a flaw with your current gf the memory of your ex gets a little more rosey...

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
What fuss? The 1000 or so OCD users on a fanboy (myself included, no offense) forum on the internet??? That's not a fuss. That's a whine by a teeny tiny percentage of users (and remember, usually only complainers post anyway, the happy folks have no reason to come on and spout off about everything being "fine").

And if you don't remember problems with previous generations that's mighty selective of you... The Original iPhone had that awful chrome bezel (that if it didn't have scratches out of the box it would within hours...), 3G/S had a plastic back that often cracked on the edges where it met the phone's body AND had the bezel issues too, and the 4 had ANTENNAGATE, yellow screen "gate" and glass that people couldn't help themselves from breaking! Even the 4S had "batterygate" and blue/yellow screen "gate" even if it solved "antennagate".

None of these were "real" problems unless you buy into the whole forums being reality thing. If that's the case Apple would be out of business by now with all the disasters it's facing...

This "none of my old iPhones had any problems out of the box" LIE, is a lot like remembering ex-girlfriends. If you find a flaw with your current gf the memory of your ex gets a little more rosey...

This is my first iPhone and I just recently signed up on this forum. Even though I haven't read posts on any Mac/iPhone forums I've heard of some of the issues from the earlier models. However, I had never heard anywhere about large amounts of scuffed units out of the box with any other phone or product in the past, as seems to be the case with the IP5.

Even though I hadn't signed up or read on any Mac/iPhone forums, I would have been well aware of IP5 issues like horrible maps and easy scuffing/scuffed right out of the box. This becaues there have been several articles about it in regular newspapers and on other web sites/forums I read.

Just because the number of people complaining on this very forum is tiny compared to the total number of iPhones sold doesn't equal that nobody else have any problems. Many people will complain to friends, directly to Apple or the store they bought the phone from etc. , without posting it on this or any other tech forum. But just because there aren't more complaints here doesn't mean there aren't any.

I can't believe that you don't realize that this and earlier issues have been "real" issues and problems, even for "normal" people, not reading this kind of forums. And I can't believe the extent that some of you to defend Apple saying these aren't real issues or that it's perfectly normal to get a scuffed product out of the box. No, it's not acceptable or normal to get a scuffed product out of the box regardless of the maker of it or the price and especially not when it comes to an Apple product when it's the most expensive phone you can buy and when Apple have made their best telling us all how stunning it is.

For your information my IP5 was flawless from the box, but I still believe and understand that Apple have/have had quality problems with the IP5 that might hurt them in the future if they don't address it. To not be able to take that in you must be a pretty hardcore Apple fan with huge blinders on.

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
I realized a lot of people thnk they have the flawless black iphone, but when I checked it for them, I found few small scuffs. There are some scuffs or scratches that are fairly small, you have to check really really carefully. I also noticed some paint issue, it is about 1mm. The paint is not finished perfectly, so even though the dot is in black color, but the shine looks differently. My guess is that something touched the paint while the black paint was being dryed. Apple really screwed up big time.

This Christimas I bought total 3 iphones, 2 in black, 1 in white. All 3 are purchased at 12/23. Both of the black color iphones have scuffs. I replaced with bestbuy 5 times, and still cannot get the perfect one. Right now I still have both black iphone with few scuffs on them. I think the bestbuy people almost put me on their black list and banned me from the store since I exchanged too many times. This really isn't my fault, the Apple's quality control really screwed up this time. Since I replaced so many times, I became an expert now on analyzing the phone out from the box.:cool:

Even the white one has some scratches on them near the screws(next to the charging port). The scratches are in lines. They are actually dent in, you could feel it when you rub it. The scratches are different from the black ones, they are not at the edge. They look like the worker in China acidently scratched it when they put in the screws.

I am fairly certain that a number of people vote for "flawless", didn't really check throughly or didn't notice, just because the persons near me also thought they got the flawless iphone black, but not until I find the scuffs for them. I think I am going back to bestbuy to return all of my iphone black ones and get the white ones. I will be staying away from the black ones for now until Apple resolve this issue on the 5S or something.

Last edited:

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I realized a lot of people thnk they have the flawless black iphone, but when I checked it for them, I found few small scuffs. There are some scuffs or scratches that are fairly small, you have to check really really carefully. I also noticed some paint issue, it is about 1mm. The paint is not finished perfectly, so even though the dot is in black color, but the shine looks differently. My guess is that something touched the paint while the black paint was being dryed. Apple really screwed up big time.

This Christimas I bought total 3 iphones, 2 in black, 1 in white. All 3 are purchased at 12/23. Both of the black color iphones have scuffs. I replaced with bestbuy 5 times, and still cannot get the perfect one. Right now I still have both black iphone with few scuffs on them. I think the bestbuy people almost put me on their black list and banned me from the store since I exchanged too many times. This really isn't my fault, the Apple's quality control really screwed up this time. Since I replaced so many times, I became an expert now on analyzing the phone out from the box.:cool:

Even the white one has some scratches on them near the screws(next to the charging port). The scratches are in lines. They are actually dent in, you could feel it when you rub it. The scratches are different from the black ones, they are not at the edge. They look like the worker in China acidently scratched it when they put in the screws.

I am fairly certain that a number of people vote for "flawless", didn't really check throughly or didn't notice, just because the persons near me also thought they got the flawless iphone black, but not until I find the scuffs for them. I think I am going back to bestbuy to return all of my iphone black ones and get the white ones. I will be staying away from the black ones for now until Apple resolve this issue on the 5S or something.

This is true, most ppl who claim they have a flawless IP5 are blind and tend to get very upset when I personally check their phones. You need to have an eagle eye + very bright lamp + microfiber cloths + fine brush to really do a full and proper examination. After my personal QC, I really get rude response like "Thanks! I REALLLLLLLLLY needed to see that!"

I honestly can see the scruffs more visible with the white vers from a fairly far distance, it's coming from the reflections of the room lights on the polished aluminum chamfers. The blacks are harder, b/c it can be mistaken as everyday dust or debris.

I've went through 3 swaps since launch day, it's very exhausting and tiring. IMO as long as the scuffs are micro scuffs; kept to a minimum by the charge port, it shouldn't bother anyone, even the most OCDs. I've personally have given up, rather have the micro scuffs instead the other hardware defects, such as the really yellow tinted screens and all the other unpleasant stuff.

The crazy thing about me, I can see all the car dents and dings with cars driving by or along side my car on the roads. The true eagle eyes for QC'ing are the guys who work at the high end car manufactures, the QC'ers for paint and body work and they don't even need any type of special lights LOL

I've noticed the new generation of iPods have amazing final production builds, out of all the colours I've checked with my friends and even the fresh store demo units all have zero scuffs on them.

For the guys who are getting scuffs while they're using their IP5s naked or in a case is indeed true. A lot of my friends who got the second batch after the 4am on the preorder day seem to suffer from this the most since they were rushed out to keep up with the demands.

The anodizing was not cured and sealed properly, it must be settled in the sealer tank at 200f for 30 mins for the process to work. A lot of ppl tend not to understand a properly cured and sealed anodized IP5 will handle everyday use without the anodizing flaking off until I show them the video posted here back in October.

http://youtu.be/GxFx3xktAbQ

Of course with major physical impact of concrete, tiles and other types of metals scrapping across will cause some damages.

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I bought an unlocked 16GB iPhone 5 in white for my brother for Christmas. It was delivered last night and has a dent at the bottom near the dock connector. The quality control still sucks after almost 4 months on the market.

I've had 3 myself and all have obvious dents and dings (and all had small scratches). I learned to live with it but disappointing.

robert15rus

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok?
Z1MJhgRtpa4.jpg

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Just a tiny mark on the corner, but other than that, its pretty good

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB Black, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB Custom, Shure SE425's :apple:

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJH8E9qSEWye6BQ1g0,(dRQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJH8E9qSEWye6BQ1g0,(dRQ~~60_12.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 495

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Should I get my phone replaced? It has this chunk missing in the chamfered edge; I don't care about a few scratches, but this is an actual chunk of metal missing from the inside edge where it meets the glass (came like this out of the box).

I took it to the apple store and the person helping me tried to replace it with a white box without really saying anything to me. I said hang on, I don't want my brand new phone replaced with a refurbished (or w/e) unit. She said, well you only have 14 days to do that, I said I have only had it for 7 days, so she said I have to take it to SAM's club (where I bought it). I would get it exchanged without thinking twice but I am scared I will get one that is worse.

Sorry for the bad pic (wish I could take the pic with my iPhone)

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 372

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
This thread is ridiculous. We all know what scratches look like on the phone. If your phone has a scratch and it bothers you, replace it. What are you asking a bunch of strangers for?

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
This thread is ridiculous. We all know what scratches look like on the phone. If your phone has a scratch and it bothers you, replace it. What are you asking a bunch of strangers for?

You are totally right, a forum is no place to ask the advice of strangers. :rolleyes:

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
My original black 5 had a few scuffs so I got apple care to send a new one and it was even worse. I went to the apple store and got a white box replacement that was absolutely flawless. The screen died a month later so I went back to the apple store and they replaced it with a scratched up one. I told the genius that I wouldn't accept a scratched up phone and he was very understanding. He asked the manager and the manager said I could have 1 more replacement and that was it. If it was worse then I would just have to live with it. I told him to replace it and if the 2nd replacement was worse I would talk to the manager. Luckily the replacement was near perfect so I kept it. So out of 5 iPhones I've had 3 with numerous scratches and 1 with only one scratch. Only 1 of 5 was flawless. That being said I love the 5 and wouldn't trade it for any other phone. I'm sure they will have this stuff straightened out for the 5s because I haven't heard as many problems with the mini.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Here is my scuff-history so far:

Black iphone 5, kept in leather sleeve with soft lining at all times. Occationaly i leave it sitting on the table, but then i watch it like if it would run away at any instant. I seriously treat it like a baby.

After 4 weeks tiny scuffs on the corners have appeared. Last week a larger mystery scuff apperad on the long side of the phone.

Yesterday i discovered a new scuff under above scuff.

It seems like the phone is self-scuffing.

This is higly annoying and i wonder, would i have any luck claiming warranty based on this?

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
I know that the White one uses same procedure for the finish of the matel as the black one. But I am assuming the white one has a lower scuff rate, since the silver finish is much more mature because it was used in pretty much all Apple products from the macbooks to ipods. The black finish of the matel was just introduced this year on the iphone 5 and the ipod mini. Is my assumption correct?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Week 47, November. It has a tiny scuff in the corner, but you can hardly notice it. Is it ok? Image

Yup. But thanks for removing any doubt I had when I said that most folks in this thread were obsessing over issues that required a zoom/macro lens and the right angle's to notice...

If this was anything but a joke I really truly feel bad for you and am glad I don't suffer from this level of OCD. I'm being completely serious. I really feel terrible for anyone who has to go through life worrying over things like this. It must be awful. Maybe consumer electronics should be avoided altogether for sanity's sake?

Good luck either way!

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Should I get my phone replaced? It has this chunk missing in the chamfered edge; I don't care about a few scratches, but this is an actual chunk of metal missing from the inside edge where it meets the glass (came like this out of the box).

I took it to the apple store and the person helping me tried to replace it with a white box without really saying anything to me. I said hang on, I don't want my brand new phone replaced with a refurbished (or w/e) unit. She said, well you only have 14 days to do that, I said I have only had it for 7 days, so she said I have to take it to SAM's club (where I bought it). I would get it exchanged without thinking twice but I am scared I will get one that is worse.

Sorry for the bad pic (wish I could take the pic with my iPhone)

Would you be able to take a better picture? I am pretty interested in your case, it's the first time I heard that the scuff is the piece that meets the glass. Most cases are the outside edges around the phone.

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Would you be able to take a better picture? I am pretty interested in your case, it's the first time I heard that the scuff is the piece that meets the glass. Most cases are the outside edges around the phone.

It was not a scuff, it was a gouge/chunk of metal missing from the inner edge of the aluminum band, and there was no silver showing, like it was damaged before it was anodized.

Sorry I can't take a better pic :( I exchanged the phone to Sam's Club and got a new one in much better condition :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.