Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
I'm trying to fix this mac mini for my boss and here is the deal, the mac mini has unknown mac os along with windows xp via bootcamp. Trying booting into window I will ran into endless blue screen/restart. It won't even boot into mac os, just sits at the grey apple with the spinning thing spinning forever. Try popping in a mountain lion disc and boot from there, and its stuck at the same grey apple screen. Than I created a bootable usb of snow leopard and try booting from the usb, that works. However when I try to go to disc utility to wipe the harddrive from the LP install disc it will freeze at gathering disk information with a spinning beach ball. If i try to install directly without wiping the disc, it will go as far as the next step selecting a drive to install on and it would show the HD grey out with the bottom left forever spinning at gathering free space.

I try reseting PRAM (the method i found was to unplug all cable, count to 10, pressing power button while inserting power cable than restart computer) made no difference.

So I declare the harddrive dead or is there anything else i can try?

Edit: I waited a bit at the disk utility page and it load, detecting the mac side of the drive but the bootcamp section is grey out. every click i make here will result in beachball spinning for 5 mins before any response

jaxhunter

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
Maryland Eastern Shore
That's pretty typical of a dying hard drive. Mac OS and Windows have different reactions to the same issue and so will exhibit different symptoms, though both OSes are exhiniting the signs of being unable to access critical data. If the drive has critical data stop trying to boot it because the "damage" is spreading. Try to avoid powering up the drive again until youa re ready to attempt data recovery.

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
If you have valuable data on your drive, you can try to access your drive via TDM. Else the data can be recovered using a data recovery program. Try to boot your drive from another Mac and recover your data from the software.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Wouldnt be better boot that faulty mini from external drive and try to save data fron the faulty hdd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.