Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
The speakerphone on my iPhone stopped working properly - I'm going to take it to Apple in the new year. However I also want a white one instead of black - Do you think they will let me swap colours when I get my iPhone replaced?

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Sounds like its a fact that they may or may not swap it to a different colour :D.

I once had an iPhone3gs out of warranty where the speakerphone stopped working. After asking if I had backed up my phone, they just handed me a brand new one. Great service.

4themtigers

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
they will not! when the 5 came out i bought a white one from best buy cause that's all they had and then i had a problem with it went to the apple store and they wanted to swap out i asked if i could swap colors i was told no but lucky i was able to swap it at best buy cause i was still in my 30 days

S

syd430

Before you go in for your warranty replacement, sandpaper the entire iodised coating off and explain to them that you did it because you were desperate for a white/silver one. At this stage they will swap it for a white one out of sheer pity and/or fear. No need to thank me ;)

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
It's a fact that if you ask them they might do it. I have seen it happen it's not impossible. Be nice about it.

Damn it. I hate it when someone comes in and undermines the correct answer with misinformation. Out of the millions who have visited the Genius Bar, a handful have gotten swapped for another color. It is definitely out of the ordinary for it to happen and certainly NOT Apple's policy. Why mention it? Quit giving the guy false hope.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Damn it. I hate it when someone comes in and undermines the correct answer with misinformation. Out of the millions who have visited the Genius Bar, a handful have gotten swapped for another color. It is definitely out of the ordinary for it to happen and certainly NOT Apple's policy. Why mention it? Quit giving the guy false hope.

Take it easy, no need to get upset. So you'd rather not know it is possible even if it's unlikely? False hope? We are still talking about a phone here not a live saving liver transplant, right? You go to the apple store you tell them your phone is acting up they offer to replace it and you nicely ask if they could replace it for you with a different color, they say yes you go home happy they say no you go home happy as well because your faulty phone was just replaced with a working one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.