Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
How many of you got an MBA for christmas and are you thinking of returning and waiting for this release?

Delegator

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
The current (June 2012) non-Retina MBP is perfectly upgradeable. I bought one in October, after seeing what the 13" retina MBP cost, and have since upgraded the base hard drive to a nice 512GB SSD, and upgraded the 8GB RAM to 16GB as well. As somebody else pointed out, all you need are the right screwdrivers.

The regular MBP with the high-res display, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD cost about $500 less than the equivalent specs of the Retina MBP. Plus, I get to keep my optical drive, I get more ports, and I can upgrade it in the future if I so choose.

But, I do expect Apple to remove the non-Retina versions of its laptops from the lineup. That is clearly their direction: fewer configurations that are not upgradeable.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The current (June 2012) non-Retina MBP is perfectly upgradeable. I bought one in October, after seeing what the 13" retina MBP cost, and have since upgraded the base hard drive to a nice 512GB SSD, and upgraded the 8GB RAM to 16GB as well. As somebody else pointed out, all you need are the right screwdrivers.

The regular MBP with the high-res display, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD cost about $500 less than the equivalent specs of the Retina MBP. Plus, I get to keep my optical drive, I get more ports, and I can upgrade it in the future if I so choose.

But, I do expect Apple to remove the non-Retina versions of its laptops from the lineup. That is clearly their direction: fewer configurations that are not upgradeable.

Seems like it. They want to sell overpriced memory and SSD configurations by soldering them to the board. Of course it was a design decision for space, but man are we having to bend over with our wallets? :)

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
hmm... my read of it was Haswell, but just to invoke a crazy theory -- "new processor platform" - something not intel?

arn

The AMD offerings at the Ultrabook end offer more balanced performance. It's not that AMD CPUs are better, it's that Intel has been promising FOR A DECADE their graphics were getting "way better" soon. And it's not happening. As Intel's current line of mobile child are locked (with patents and marketing) so an OWM MUST buy them. I think Apple is going to throw some weight around.

Of course when we start talking Apple A8 processors we might see MacBook Air turn into a "ChromeBook" with ARM based processors. For the battery savings alone, Apple could throw twice the hardware at boosting performance versus the intel solution they have now.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I personally have no interest in retina on a notebook. If they air gets retina it will have to have terrible battery life or a much more efficient display. If it has an efficient display I would rather just have the regular resolution which would be even more efficient which would allow them to make the notebook even thinner, lighter and with longer battery life instead of keeping the form factor the same and adding a display that I don't care about

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
At this point, no disc drive and Retina display across the lineup is a given.

I just hope the keep the "middle 13 and 15" computers with hard drives and upgradable RAM. They could add a slim stick of 128GB SSD and put the same tech as the iMac to speed things up. And still save about 25% of the internal space too.

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
I don't mind the standard retina display (as long as prices are more reasonable than current rMBP prices) or even lack of optical drive in the next MBP. But the lack of user upgradeability is the reason I won't even consider the current rMBP.

My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

If the roadmap is accurate, I hope Apple leaves the soldered ram and proprietary SSD to the MBA line where portability is paramount, and gives the MBP line (retina or not) user upgradeable parts.

I am so glad that I have bought a Classic MBP as well. After your warranty expires,
in case of almost any problem, you could be an "Apple Genius" and do "Apple Care" service for yourself:
you will be able to repair the Classic MBP without paying a fortune for it!

You know, there are a lot of people who are very happy with their new Retina MBP, literally jumping from happiness!
With their wallet, they have determined the Retina MBP success, and Classic MBP extinction.

But you will see that later, in 3-5 years term, a significant part of these people will flood various Mac forums,
telling sad spooky stories about how their Retina MBP with shiny nice Retina screen just broken down recently,
and Apple Genius with a smile on the face told something like:

"Your RAM is corrupted, I am so sorry, really sorry:rolleyes: RAM is soldered, thus we need to replace the whole logic board.
But you are a valuable customer to Apple, so do not worry: with our special discount, it will cost just $1200 for you!
" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Lutris

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
AMD still exists, you know. ;] Four pages of ARM speculation, and nobody's considered the company in Intel's shadow. Burlier GPUs, more-or-less comparable (?) low-power CPUs, and a lower price tag would help offset the dollar and pixel costs of a rMBA.

I'd be pretty surprised if we don't see a Haswell chip in next year's Airs, though. Intel refers to their yearly refreshes as 'platforms'.

I'd like to ask everyone what they think the chances are of new MBPs having fusion drives

I'd love this, but I'd say it's pretty unlikely. There's not much space in the MBAs, and what little is there will need to be filled in with more batteries. Even if they went with an ipod-classic-sized hard drive, it would use valuable space.

Maybe some day they'll come out with an 11" rMBP? That would be nigh perfect for me.

Tim Cook has already said iOS and OS X won't converge.

Steve jobs said that 10" was the only reasonable size for a tablet, too. ;]

I'm not worried about iOS taking over the MBAs. It would be the wrong tool for the job, and Apple isn't known for making bad user interfaces. I could see iOS apps eventually being usable on OSX, but even that would be tricky without a touchscreen display.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
i personally have no interest in retina on a notebook. If they air gets retina it will have to have terrible battery life or a much more efficient display. If it has an efficient display i would rather just have the regular resolution which would be even more efficient which would allow them to make the notebook even thinner, lighter and with longer battery life instead of keeping the form factor the same and adding a display that i don't care about

+1

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

Agreed. We are force-fed a resolution (and the resulting price) some of us don't need, on top of that, we are now facing ANOTHER processor switch, which will likely make a lot of our prior software obsolete.

I'm just tired....

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I am so glad that I have bought a Classic MBP as well. After your warranty expires,
in case of almost any problem, you could be an "Apple Genius" and do "Apple Care" service for yourself:
you will be able to repair the Classic MBP without paying a fortune for it!

You know, there are a lot of people who are very happy with their new Retina MBP, literally jumping from happiness!
With their wallet, they have determined the Retina MBP success, and Classic MBP extinction.

But you will see that later, in 3-5 years term, a significant part of these people will flood various Mac forums,
telling sad spooky stories about how their Retina MBP with shiny nice Retina screen just broken down recently,
and Apple Genius with a smile on the face told something like:

"Your RAM is corrupted, I am so sorry, really sorry:rolleyes: RAM is soldered, thus we need to replace the whole logic board.
But you are a valuable customer to Apple, so do not worry: with our special discount, it will cost just $1200 for you!
" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Solution: Buy Applecare.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
This is only good news if they stop charging a premium for the retina display. I'm not holding my breath on that one, especially on the Macbook Air. I can't see them selling a retina display machine for $999. But I hope I'm wrong.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
One out-of-the-box idea:

Apple ask Intel to produce their new A* CPU instead of Samsung and make in addition a hybrid X86 and Apple-designed A* Core. This way they can still use high performance to drive retina screens, FCP X and Photoshop. On the other side for many cases a new power safe mode with ARM support only for simple email and surfing could increase runtime of battery.
Could be easier to realize in a two chip-design though.

Or nothing really happen and they just use Haswell ...

Fat chance of that. Apple can't even get Intel to loosen the reigns so Apple can add non-intel "bridge" chips again. INTEL'S policy is use Inrel graphics, or buy a third party chip and ADD it to the setup in hybrid mode. That's why Apple held on to MacBook Air with C2D and Nvidia as long as the could... Or at least until intel did enough upgrades that HD 4000 graphics on i5 were actually faster than 4 year old Nvidia graphics on C2D.

Personally, I would think Apple might go AMD on the low end... Because Intel's graphic performance is crippling OSX that uses as many advanced features as it can. AMDs weaker CPU performance will put a little spread between the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro as well.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Oh, PLEASE don't make the whole line Retina displays. I don't want to be locked in to paying extra for a screen resolution I don't need...

i agree with this 10000% and apple is updating their stuff too frequently now.. can we has fewer but bigger updates instead of frequent small updates

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If the whole MacBook lineup is going Retina, then I and all the people who've signed petitions for anti-glare screens...
Lol people still believe in Internet petitions... Hope they give you what you want though.

Anyways, if they do decide to go the arm route for the MBA then that might mean the next iPhone, iPads might be running OSX :eek: I like the windows surface pro tablet and apples' response w osx could be killer for the phone and tablet markets.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
How many of you got an MBA for christmas and are you thinking of returning and waiting for this release?

I didn't receive one for Christmas but even if I did I would keep it, i hate returning gifts just because "that new model" is coming out soon. Makes me feel bad.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Crazy comments. How can folks want less frequent updates?!? And seriously why do folks think Apple has failed when they aren't convinced to upgrade their year old computer? Doesn't that mean the computer you bought is serving you well? I'm eyeing these updates as a replacement for my 2007 MacBook. Not a necessary update as the MacBook still works fine. Each of the current laptops seems compelling. But I would go for the Air right now for my needs. Next generation will be even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.