Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I already ditched the Home button, it's called "Zephyr" it works incredibly well.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
No I tend to like it. the touch buttons on my android phone were JUNK. Maybe that's why I've grown a liking for the home button.

----------

Then it seems YOU'RE the one with the issue as in normal use there should be no reason you "accidently" touch the home button.

This isn't an instigating post :rolleyes:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Negligible at best.

----------

Stop rubbing it in :eek: (iPhone 5 user)

Haha, seriously though, Apple should definitely look into acquiring and integrating Zephyr, it's amazing! It's the main reason why I jailbreak my iPhone.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I love that I can push the home button and swipe the lock screen all while removing the phone from my pocket. By the time my eyes are on the phone, it's ready to go.

I really don't see how a virtual button can do anything but worsen my iPhone experience.

Yes, it's a cool trick to minimize apps on the iPad with a 4-finger pinch, but I find it only works 75% of the time. It's a party trick, not a real tool. The home button does what it's supposed to and doesn't flake out on you like all these funny little gestures.

Keep the home button.

75%? I don't thinking have ever had it fail for me on my iPad 3. Try using 5 fingers. That is just so much more natural for me and like I said, no problems whatsoever. It actually drives me nuts going back to my iPad 1 because I keep trying to use the gestures that just aren't there.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
No, but I wish they'd ditch the mute button. It's useless and just one more tiny piece that can break over time.

uh... I like the mute button. It's very useful for quickly turning on and off the sound, which I use frequently since I work in a school environment. I just wish they could set it to toggle other things.

Yes to no home button! i want smaller bezels..

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
No. I hate the fact that most Android devices don't have a physical home/back button. It's also a necessity for Siri in the car.

I hope they keep it and continue to improve it (finger print reader, gestures, etc).

Apple already tried touch buttons. Remember the third generation iPod?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 279

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I've never used the home button on my iPad mini. I just use the multitasking gestures. I would love if Apple would bring these to the iPhone instead of a physical button, but I don't see it happening because it's less intuitive and the screen isn't wide enough.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I really like it, the only thing I'd like to change is to make it able to connect it to answering calls... Both my iPhone and iPhone 3GS had the problem where the screen sometimes wouldn't register the swipe to answer-gesture. I'm guessing it's because the screen is being heated up in my pockets or whatnot, because it never happens when putting it down "screen out". Haven't had it happening with the iPhone 5 yet though... :)

Or is it already possible to use the home button to answer by changing something in the settings? Or the volume buttons?

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I've never used the home button on my iPad mini. I just use the multitasking gestures.

Till you play a game like Fingle.

I would like to minimize the Bezel though. I like the left/right edges on the mini. I'd like that all the way around. With gestures though, the home button is needed less and you could instead place it on the side above the switch. (Near the volume, but separated by the switch.) And instead of making it go home with a single click, require a double click so the single click can be used by apps (like camera, etc).

Anyways I like dreaming.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm surprised at how much hate the home button is getting... I have absolutely no problem with the home button. It's simple, and performs a hell of a lot for one button.

A virtual home button would be annoying because you'd probably end up tapping it by mistake more often than you would a physical home button.

By the way, I've never, out of all of the complains I've heard regarding the iPhone, heard about people "accidentally clicking the home button while typing".

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
The home button is essentially a one size fits all problem solver for iOS devices. And I don't care what you want to call it, the simple fact is that Apple does need to care whether the average Joe Shmoe can navigate the UI when something goes wrong. The home button, I'd argue, is VERY important.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I don't mind the home button when it's working properly but the 3 iPhones I've had before the iphone 5 experienced home button issues after about a year of use. The home button on the 5 seems snappier, lets hope it lasts.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No I don't. having a physical home and lock button are much more beneficial. Also I don't know how you "accidentally" press the home button while web browsing,

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I would say if the home button got replaced with a capacitive button then I'd be happy. In my experience, the iPhone home button craps out way too easily (I haven't tried out the iPhone 5 one with the revised home button).

I have capacitive buttons on my current phone (HTC 8X) and I haven't had any issues with accidentally hitting it. Even in landscape mode I don't accidentally hit it.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I would say if the home button got replaced with a capacitive button then I'd be happy. In my experience, the iPhone home button craps out way too easily (I haven't tried out the iPhone 5 one with the revised home button).

I have capacitive buttons on my current phone (HTC 8X) and I haven't had any issues with accidentally hitting it. Even in landscape mode I don't accidentally hit it.

I'd prefer a smaller one or even a different shape one.. I like the way the ones on the GSIII and Note 2 feel D': My iPhone 5's home button is already crapping out on me. Half of it is super stiff so when I press it it only sinks down on the left side. It's ridiculous.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Here's a thought...ditch the mute button on the left side and just below the volume buttons place an aluminum home button. That way it is EASY accessible in both portrait/landscape mode! How about that Jonny?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
yes. I've had enough with home button issues. This is obviously apple's way of making people upgrade every 1-2 years. Having apple genius tell customers to turn on assistive touch to 'solve' the home button issues on an iPhone 4S is not acceptable. :rolleyes:

----------

I'd prefer a smaller one or even a different shape one.. I like the way the ones on the GSIII and Note 2 feel D': My iPhone 5's home button is already crapping out on me. Half of it is super stiff so when I press it it only sinks down on the left side. It's ridiculous.

same problem. I've replaced my iPhone 5 at least 3 times due to home button issues. My next phone wont be an iPhone if i have to keep dealing with this crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.