Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Here's my one holdup. 2 older Macbooks in the house, one Apple TV 2, so no wireless way to stream Amazon instant video to my TV. Will I get a decent picture if I just hardwire a Macbook to TV with a DVI to HDMI and stereo jack? I used to do this before Apple TV and I thought I remembered it worked OK, but this wouldn't be worth it if I didn't have pretty good picture and sound.
I don't want to jailbreak or buy anything new at the moment.

Thanks

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Should work fine but the only downside is that Amazon doesn't let you stream HD on a Mac, only iPhone and iPad. I'm hoping that they get their sh** together and get Amazon on AppleTV soon, I'm tempted to get a Roku.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
Do you have a PS3? I have been using that for Amzn Prime and it is flawless.

----------

Also you could try AirParrot depending on your macbook. It has been working great for me on a 2009 Macbook Pro 2.66 with 8GB ram and ML

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Do you have a PS3? I have been using that for Amzn Prime and it is flawless.

----------

Also you could try AirParrot depending on your macbook. It has been working great for me on a 2009 Macbook Pro 2.66 with 8GB ram and ML

Unfortunately I don't have a PS3, only a Wii. Our newer Macbook is a 2009 MBP though. I'll give that a shot.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Here's my one holdup. 2 older Macbooks in the house, one Apple TV 2, so no wireless way to stream Amazon instant video to my TV. Will I get a decent picture if I just hardwire a Macbook to TV with a DVI to HDMI and stereo jack? I used to do this before Apple TV and I thought I remembered it worked OK, but this wouldn't be worth it if I didn't have pretty good picture and sound.
I don't want to jailbreak or buy anything new at the moment.

Thanks

Why don't you want to JB the Apple TV 2? Amazon Prime works perfect with the jailbroken device.

If you don't want to JB then sell the ATV2 for $200.00 and get a ATV3 and a ROKU and that would solve your problem.

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Why don't you want to JB the Apple TV 2? Amazon Prime works perfect with the jailbroken device.

If you don't want to JB then sell the ATV2 for $200.00 and get a ATV3 and a ROKU and that would solve your problem.

Hmm, very good points. I just don't know anything about jailbreaking a device. Can you give me any downsides? Are there even any downsides? It's not like I have much money in it ($99).

Another thing I have thought about for a long time is buying a Mac Mini for my TV, since we only have portable Macbooks in the house otherwise, and they are dated. I could do Amazon Instant in HD then couldn't I? Plus anything else imagineable.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Hmm, very good points. I just don't know anything about jailbreaking a device. Can you give me any downsides? Are there even any downsides? It's not like I have much money in it ($99).

Another thing I have thought about for a long time is buying a Mac Mini for my TV, since we only have portable Macbooks in the house otherwise, and they are dated. I could do Amazon Instant in HD then couldn't I? Plus anything else imagineable.

Not really any downsides to jailbreaking. You can use the ATV2 as a truly streaming device that can stream any type of file not just Apple approved media. Do a google search for season pass and it will show you step by step on how to downgrade and JB the device and then google XBMC which I think is the best JB program to have, then google Fusion XBMC and that will show you how to add repositories to your XBMC program. It was confusing at first for me, but it is worth the effort to JB.

I am going to buy the Mac Mini and use it as a media server and move the ATV2 into the bedroom, with hopes to cut the cord on cable for good.

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Thanks a lot, I'm going to look in to this right now. My next question isn't really Mac or AppleTV related, but I'll throw it out here and see what happens.
I would really like to cut the cord on cable as well. They (ATT) are bending me over for $50 plus a month for 12mbs internet and another 75 for basic cable with their annoying DVR. My wife really wants to keep the DVR for recording network shows, and I can't really seem to sell her on the idea of finding them online whenever she wants to watch them, which I know is possible with a little creativity and patience. I don't need or want a TV ever again really, and am perfectly happy streaming whatever I want to see. I have a digital TV antenna and would like to just hook it up to have local channels without need of a cable company/ATT at all.
I'm considering switching back to Dishnet to get a cheap DVR promo for awhile.

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Not really any downsides to jailbreaking. You can use the ATV2 as a truly streaming device that can stream any type of file not just Apple approved media. Do a google search for season pass and it will show you step by step on how to downgrade and JB the device and then google XBMC which I think is the best JB program to have, then google Fusion XBMC and that will show you how to add repositories to your XBMC program. It was confusing at first for me, but it is worth the effort to JB.

I am going to buy the Mac Mini and use it as a media server and move the ATV2 into the bedroom, with hopes to cut the cord on cable for good.

Did it, it's brilliant! Looks like I've opened the door to pretty much whatever I would ever want to watch.

One question on streaming speeds. I've tried a couple of HD movies and they stop (to buffer) a lot. I'm on AT&T 12mbps wifi. Is that too slow to support he streaming? Amazon instant does ok so far but just one movie tried so far.

Thanks

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Did it, it's brilliant! Looks like I've opened the door to pretty much whatever I would ever want to watch.

One question on streaming speeds. I've tried a couple of HD movies and they stop (to buffer) a lot. I'm on AT&T 12mbps wifi. Is that too slow to support he streaming? Amazon instant does ok so far but just one movie tried so far.

Thanks

I get stuttering issues when I try to stream over 10gb MKV files normally, but I have a lower roadrunner package so that could be why. That is the main reason I want a Mac mini for my main media server so I don't get the stutter from streaming. My wife gets annoyed and we can't have that. Haha.

Get the icefilms plugin that has a huge library of information. I sometimes get stutter but that is more from their server.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why don't you just use Netflix? I don't think either Amazon Prime or Netflix has the latest releases, and Netflix is available everywhere for the same price. Plus Netflix has a lot more content.

ode2joy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I get stuttering issues when I try to stream over 10gb MKV files normally, but I have a lower roadrunner package so that could be why. That is the main reason I want a Mac mini for my main media server so I don't get the stutter from streaming. My wife gets annoyed and we can't have that. Haha.

Get the icefilms plugin that has a huge library of information. I sometimes get stutter but that is more from their server.

I got IceFilms, it is awesome. Can someone recommend the best plug-in for the most recent tv episodes?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Why don't you just use Netflix? I don't think either Amazon Prime or Netflix has the latest releases, and Netflix is available everywhere for the same price. Plus Netflix has a lot more content.

Because Amazon Prime is an added service for what most people are paying for, which is the free 2 day delivery.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Because Amazon Prime is an added service for what most people are paying for, which is the free 2 day delivery.

Ah. In that case, it's a great deal. I never really need it because I don't need any more rush than the freebie offer. But if you already do Prime, party on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.