Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Hi all, I tend to use Final Cut Pro and Aperture on my 15in Retina alot, so I use SMC fan control to keep it around 4000rpm, do you think this can shorten the fans life and can it die out faster? because I'm planning to keep this for 3-5 years.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
The fans in my old '09 MacBook Pro lasted up until I sold it. I played Minecraft a lot on it and that kept the fans up pretty high, though I did use SMC fan control to max them out. They lasted fine, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hi all, I tend to use Final Cut Pro and Aperture on my 15in Retina alot, so I use SMC fan control to keep it around 4000rpm, do you think this can shorten the fans life and can it die out faster? because I'm planning to keep this for 3-5 years.

Those fans will probably outlast most of the laptop, so you should be fine.

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
was keeping my '08 macbookpro switched on almost 24/24 during the last 4 years, i had to replace one set of fans (left fan failed in 11/2011, right fan failed in 11/12) .

they are 49.95$ each, so for a 4 years life span (working 24/24) they are fairly cheap.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Fans will last approximately 4-5 years of continuous use, depending on the environment I have an Early 2008 15" MBP with over 35K hours running. Both fans failed around the 4-1/2 year point under SMC Fan Control i set the fans to run at 3K , however the machine was run for 2 years in the Middle East (very fine dust) and 2-1/2 in the tropics (humidity).

As for temperature management i thoroughly recommend UltraFan over SMC Fan Control, it is far superior at managing system temperature and will only spool up the fans when and if required. i have been a long term user of SMC Fan Control, so i speak from a point of experience. UltraFan is simply a far more intelligent solution at the end of the day you want to control your Mac`s temperature, not the fan RPM`s. I run the app on all Mac`s and it performs flawlessly and does make a significant difference to operating temperature.

Link: UltraFan

Link: Mac cooling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.