Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I am considering not using a case to protect the back of my black iPad Mini and wanted to know if the back scratches easily. Anyone have some pics of how their black iPad Mini is holding up so far with no protection?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
With use, things scratch. If you're worried then you should use a case.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I got my black/graphite mini on release day, and used it unprotected until this Tuesday when I got the Otterbox Defender. I didn't baby it, except to make sure the kids were careful when they used it. So it has been slid on the table, carried in the pocket, stacked on and under things, dropped from modest heights (~2 ft)-- no scratches!

It's buttoned up tight in its case now, so no pictures of non-existent scratches, either. Curious: I bought the case to protect it from drops, and while I was somewhat disappointed at how much heftier it feels, the case affords better grip for holding and carrying. Why are you going caseless?

EDIT: Jessica is right, it WILL scratch. My experience, like any other, is anecdotal on its own merit. I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to excessively negative comments read elsewhere.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Not sure if they make Ghost Armor for the mini, but if they do GET IT and you won't need to worry about scratches!!!

They do make GA for the Mini. I was torn between GA and iCarbons, but ended up going the iCarbons route since I liked the corners more than GA's.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
With use, things scratch. If you're worried then you should use a case.
I know it will scratch, I just wanted to know how bad.
I got my black/graphite mini on release day, and used it unprotected until this Tuesday when I got the Otterbox Defender. I didn't baby it, except to make sure the kids were careful when they used it. So it has been slid on the table, carried in the pocket, stacked on and under things, dropped from modest heights (~2 ft)-- no scratches!

It's buttoned up tight in its case now, so no pictures of non-existent scratches, either. Curious: I bought the case to protect it from drops, and while I was somewhat disappointed at how much heftier it feels, the case affords better grip for holding and carrying. Why are you going caseless?
I am considering just using an Apple Smart Cover. I like how thin and light the Mini is and cases make it so thick.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I know it will scratch, I just wanted to know how bad.

I am considering just using an Apple Smart Cover. I like how thin and light the Mini is and cases make it so thick.

I'm semi concerned about scratching but I just lap it over the apple Smart Cover to protect the back of the mini. I'd rather have the Smart Cover all bear up then the body itself. Using bulky cases kinda defeats why I like my apple products aesthetic qualities.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I hate using cases on my apple products. I will only use a case if I absolutely have to or it looks pretty stylish. Like if I'm in an environment like new york I will use a case but if I'm home or gonna be in the car most of the day I leave it caseless. No need to use a case if there's nothing around to damage it.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I use a leather back skin from sticker boy (got the easy extreme fit, which is high quality and covers everything on the back, but even the 'easy' extreme fit is very difficult to get the corners perfect (I've got them mostly good, but not perfect)...I'd probably recommend their regular back.)

The skin itself and the apple insert are excellent quality. I got the black leather with a silver leather apple logo, which looks awesome together and feels great. That + the smart cover equals a minimal solution that won't scratch the back and protects the screen without adding any bulk.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not sure if they make Ghost Armor for the mini, but if they do GET IT and you won't need to worry about scratches!!!

They do, there's a ghost armor kiosk near my local apple store and took the plunge to avoid any scratches.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
How easy are these to apply?

I haven't received mine yet, but between their install video and others here on MacRumors, they are very easy to apply. Since it's all one piece and it's sturdy, there shouldn't be any bubbles at all.

They do, there's a ghost armor kiosk near my local apple store and took the plunge to avoid any scratches.

Will you post some pics of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.