Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmanp17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
So I got on my computer and suddenly got a pop up (error message) saying IP Configuration, this had my IP THEN said In use by another assortment of numbers DHCP server. It was very odd, so I just closed it and continued on. What is that? I went into my network settings in System preferences and clicked renew DHCP Lease, did that take care of it?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Just guessing since you don't have the exact error message, but it may have been just saying that your IP/address hostname was in use by another computer. You can typically turn off and back on Wi-Fi, or power cycle your router. You may also want to check your Sharing preferences, make sure your computer name hasn't had a 1 or another number in parentheses added to it.

Jmanp17

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Just guessing since you don't have the exact error message, but it may have been just saying that your IP/address hostname was in use by another computer. You can typically turn off and back on Wi-Fi, or power cycle your router. You may also want to check your Sharing preferences, make sure your computer name hasn't had a 1 or another number in parentheses added to it.

Just a newbie question, but how do I check my sharing preferences?
Another thing too is that I was having a powersurge in my electricity last night, crap flickering on and off, along with probably the modem and router. That could be a factor too right?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Sharing preferences is part of System Preferences, under the Apple menu. It is in the 3rd row, has a folder with a yellow street sign. Computer name will be at the top of the window, also the computer's hostname as well. If there was a sudden loss/surge of electricity to the modem and router, the error message you got is almost definitely tied to what you saw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.