Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I am actually pleasantly surprised by the speakers.

They definitely have more bass than the 2011 model - this was immediately noticeable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Even a low-cost pair of external speakers will sound better than the built-in speakers. But you can spend a little more and get quite acceptable sound.

Time to start searching for a decent set of desktop speaker boxes...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
In my experience, all iTunes sound tweaking add-ons are best left turned well off. They all introduce less desirable side effects to some degree.

I can no longer listen to music on my Mac without SRS iWow (and Audioengine 5 speakers).

me-balls

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
20-inch, Early 2008

For what it's worth the new 27 inch speakers kick the crap out of my old 20-inch, Early 2008 & Early 2006. Very happy for now.

wayne905

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
This is my first iMac. From reviews I was expecting to need to pick up some desktop speakers, however I am surprised by the quality of the speakers. Loud enough and deep enough for me.

I was also surprised at the quality of sound too. I was expecting them to be horrible sounding (this is my first iMac too). These aren't as great as ones more expensive with a subwoofer...but they wiare good enough for me right now. They sound better than my MacBook Air - which I would have suspected anyway. My music sounds quite nice on it. Eventually I may invest in some speakers, but I've spent enough this month already. Time to give my wallet a bit of a breather :)

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm very happy with the sound quality on my 21.5" mac after reading some of the first impressions I started to look at external speakers but when I received my imac I was impressed enough not to bother.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Go get a the small Jambox Airplay/Bluetooth speaker. For around $180 you're getting a speaker with a (extremely) small footprint but one that plays loud and best of all completely wireless. If you want even louder and bass-ier speaker, the Big Jambox can do that for another $200.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just set up my 27" 2012 iMac yesterday, and the sound quality has so obviously decreased over my late-2009 27" iMac it's not even funny. Sound is thinner with far more treble than my old system. Bass is.. well... it's there - but that's not saying all that much. It's definitely a system that's catering to the higher-end of those ranges.

Now don't get me wrong. The sound is "fine" for most people. But I can't imagine it satisfying the audiophiles among you. I don't even consider myself one of that group, but even I'm a tad saddened by the direction the iMac is going:

Thinner (at the sides) for no reason, losing the VESA mount, inferior speakers (for no reason if we discount due the thinness change) among other things...

*sigh*

So it goes with Apple. It's hard to not become just a little disenchanted with them...

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Just set up my 27" 2012 iMac yesterday, and the sound quality has so obviously decreased over my late-2009 27" iMac it's not even funny. Sound is thinner with far more treble than my old system. Bass is.. well... it's there - but that's not saying all that much. It's definitely a system that's catering to the higher-end of those ranges.

Now don't get me wrong. The sound is "fine" for most people. But I can't imagine it satisfying the audiophiles among you. I don't even consider myself one of that group, but even I'm a tad saddened by the direction the iMac is going:

Thinner (at the sides) for no reason, losing the VESA mount, inferior speakers (for no reason if we discount due the thinness change) among other things...

*sigh*

So it goes with Apple. It's hard to not become just a little disenchanted with them...

A thinner, lighter desktop that only sacrifices everything else. Remind me again who was whining about the other iMacs being too thick and heavy? Getting sick of Apple's style over substance approach.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008

Argh, that's not good. Thanks for sharing your experience. This is disappointing since the reason I bought an iMac was for the "all-in-one" aspect of it. I don't really want extra stuff like external speakers hanging off of it.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I'm looking forward to the arrival of my 27" in a couple of weeks, I'll have a 2008 24" and a 2011 21.5" and the new model all on the same desk (albeit briefly) so i'll be able to listen the same track on all 3 and decide for my self.

Currently my old 24" sounds far better than the 21."

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Go get a the small Jambox Airplay/Bluetooth speaker. For around $180 you're getting a speaker with a (extremely) small footprint but one that plays loud and best of all completely wireless. If you want even louder and bass-ier speaker, the Big Jambox can do that for another $200.

I was thinking about giving the small JamBox as a gift for Xmas but after A/B'ing it with my music at Best Buy, I found that the JBL Flip had much better sound quality and was cheaper. The JamBox is a great little design, but its way too bass heavy for my tastes.

Moreover, I wouldn't substitute or supplement weak iMac speakers with a JamBox. You'd be better off connecting an :apple:TV to your TV/home theater system and going that way.

It is disappointing that such a high quality and expensive mac has disappointing sound quality.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
for some reason my new imac is more bassy than my 2011 imac .. seems as like the bass overtakes the treble .. but i dont think im gonna return it

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
If you are unhappy with a product, be it an iMac or anything else, return it. It's an AIO computer, you are not going to get studio quality sound out of it. BTW, I love the sound out of my new 27"... mostly because I was not expecting it to be something it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I actually think the sound clarity for the 27"imac(haven't heard the 21"speakers) is exceptionally good.....my issue is that they aren't as loud as I need them to be so bought the bose companion 5's.

Will try to be as impartial as possible when I receive and review them.:D

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I actually think the sound clarity for the 27"imac(haven't heard the 21"speakers) are exceptionally good.....my issue is that they aren't as loud as I need them to be so bought the bose companion 5's.

Will try to be as impartial as possible when I review them.:D

I had an amazing idea for a clip mounted speaker for the imacs that sits right under the bottom of the machine, and uses magnets to hold it to the monitor, kind of like what dell does with their speakers but magnets instead of clips.

Kmad86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
If you are unhappy with a product, be it an iMac or anything else, return it. It's an AIO computer, you are not going to get studio quality sound out of it. BTW, I love the sound out of my new 27"... mostly because I was not expecting it to be something it's not.

I made this thread to state my opinion of the speakers. It wasn't a selling point for me that the speakers worsened, just a disappointment. I was simply expecting the same quality that I had. Didn't ruin my day, I just would hate for Apple to continue on a path of cost cutting for profit margin increases.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
I had an amazing idea for a clip mounted speaker for the imacs that sits right under the bottom of the machine, and uses magnets to hold it to the monitor, kind of like what dell does with their speakers but magnets instead of clips.

My only worry would be the magnet bit as to what damage it could do to the HDD and the screen.;)

Kmad86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009

Or a Disney iMac where the speakers are Mickeys ears.... Yeah? Any takers?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
The sound is "fine" for most people. But I can't imagine it satisfying the audiophiles among you.

No PC onboard speakers will satisfy audiophiles. Heck, onboard speakers shouldn't even sound fine for "most people." ;)

Get some Audioengine speakers or equivalent if you want decent sound from your computer.

----------

I just would hate for Apple to continue on a path of cost cutting for profit margin increases.

The drop in sound quality is likely due to the super-thin enclosure, not "cost-cutting."

I'm on board with the "who needs an ultrathin desktop computer?" crowd. But I must admit it looks pretty fantastic.

MacCruiZe

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Sound on my new 27" iMac is definatly better than my 2006 Core Duo MacBook Pro. I feel like I will be able to get by without external speakers.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I made this thread to state my opinion of the speakers. It wasn't a selling point for me that the speakers worsened, just a disappointment. I was simply expecting the same quality that I had. Didn't ruin my day, I just would hate for Apple to continue on a path of cost cutting for profit margin increases.

If it disappoints you that much and still is simply return it. Easy.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Can I make a recommendation from a pro-audio technicians perspective.

I can highly recommend this option:
http://amzn.com/B004BD9W4W

Before I moved countries I used an Onkyo shelf system that sounded really amazing. I mounted the speakers to the wall so they were out of the way. I had the somewhat fancier model previous to this one at the time but this new version looks really nice and has an iPhone/iPod dock built in. The speakers are larger than typical "computer" speakers but it means that the bass is right there in the same place as the rest of the sound rather than in a sub on the floor. (A dedicated sub is obviously going to have more bass but I have never heard a sub sold as part of a kit marketed as computer speakers that sounded anthing like a proper pro-audio setup)

This set up is much more like a studio monitor setup that pros would be using in their studios for music recording and mixing. (Although they would be using speakers that are much much more expensive) its not 5.1 or 7.1 surround but most people would never be using surround sound on their Mac unless they were also using it as their primary entertainment center.

The reciever/amp looks really sleek as well and would complement the overall apperence of the new iMac. They are also quite cheap at only $220!

Or jump up to the next level one: http://amzn.com/B008YDTS0S

Last edited:

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Impartial review of the bose companion 5 speakers....

Bit expensive.
Sounds awesome, even the bass.
Feels solidly built.
Not 100% convinced about the 5.1 surround.
Very loud.(in fact loud enough I can play my drum kit with it.)
Like the controller with headphones and line in jacks(no more fighting behind the display to get to the headphone jack :D)

Verdict.

I recommend it well over the internal speakers. I personally feel it wont compete with proper 5.1 but If you can afford it and you are not worried about 5.1 but after good crisp sounds then you won't be disappointed.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.