Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
rarely have my iPhone out while in the subway

I work in NYC and sometimes take subways at odd hours.

I rarely have my iPhone in view. Hearing about the WSJ reporter whose jaw was broken for his iPad was an unfortunate reminder as to why.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
and the question is, who buys these stolen goods? Honestly, I can't believe there's a market for this. Does anyone have any integrity left?

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Remember when someone pulled a gun to my head for my 4S back in April:mad: Funny thing is.. this happened rite around the corner from the 22nd police district, I ran there when it was over knowing Philadelphia Police are issued iphones

I used the "find my iphone" while the good men in blue was mounting up in the squad cars... (all of this happened within 10 mins) the perp turned my phone off. never to be saw again

Part of me blame apple for not putting a password lock on the power off function. really believed if the ***** was not able to turn my phone off, he would have been brought to justice

leads me to say... the find my iphone app is crap, yeah I said it fanboys so what!. yeah in some situations its handy when you left it in a coffee shop 5 mins. ago or lost it underneath the bed. But other than that, what is it good for?

Last edited:

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I noticed how store vendors didn't mind placing small items right by the door. You won't see that here in the US, as it would be easy to walk in, grab, and run. Of course, if you were to do that in Saudi Arabia, you lose your hand. As a result, theft is not something one is generally concerned with. Perhaps if we instituted meaningful penalties for theft, we would also not need to worry about pulling out our iPads and iPhones in the public?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
When I worked in Saudi Arabia, I noticed how store vendors didn't mind placing small items right by the door. You won't see that here in the US, as it would be easy to walk in, grab, and run. Of course, if you were to do that in Saudi Arabia, you lose your hand. As a result, theft is not something one is generally concerned with. Perhaps if we instituted meaningful penalties for theft, we would also not need to worry about pulling out our iPads and iPhones in the public?

How many people falsely get punished for being falsely accused in Saudi Arabia though?

----------

and the question is, who buys these stolen goods? Honestly, I can't believe there's a market for this. Does anyone have any integrity left?

They don't know they're stolen.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.

If that fails however, I was thinking that a feature which would make it impossible for anyone to erase and re-use the phone. I imagine thefts would go down if the iPhone became a brick.

Reason #56789290787 why I'd never live in that overcrowded rats nest.

NYC isn't for everyone, but clearly the city has some very, very attractive aspects to it which is why people pay $600K or more for just a one bedroom apartment.

What perfect part of the country do you live in?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
These devices have unique identifying numbers. I still don't see why Apple, the Cell Companies, and the police can't coordinate to catch crooks stealing these devices. At least if the crooks don't ultimately fence them overseas. And seriously the guy doing a snatch and run job on your iPhone as you walk down the street texting, that guy doesn't have access to an overseas fence. Why can't Apple shut the device's access off from the Apple store? Yes, then folks can jailbreak. But that is another inconvenience and lowers the value of the stolen phone.

I hear you, but I worry about what this will do to the secondary market. A legitimate 2nd hand buyer is at the mercy of the original owner not filing it stolen. This would be enough to steer me away from buying 2nd hand. I wouldn't want to bank on some handwritten receipt or something. I suppose apple could facilitate these transactions with some kind of record keeping, but I doubt they would do this out of goodwill.

----------

Find My iPhone lets you lock, erase, or brick an iPhone remotely. You can also see where it is, and...um...talk the guy into returning it.

Can also make it beep loudly, great for when the kids have hidden it.

unfortunately, all the thief has to do is turn the device off directly after the theft / remove sim and DFU restore whenever. You won't ever get a location.

Last edited:

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
i live in NYC but i've never had my iPhone stolen or had a gun held against my head but when i was in HS many people would lose or have their iPhones or iPods stolen

Tip so you don't lose your phone

Is always have your iPhone in your pocket!

Many people were so stupid and left their phones in the locker rooms. Soon they realizes someone broke into their locker and goodbye iPhone (back when i was in HS)

When you're in the subway if you're leaning against the door (which you shouldn't) then you shouldn't have you iPhone in your hand since someone from behind can snatch your iPhone from your hand right when the train doors are closing. (seen this happen quite some times)

If its like 2am and you're taking the subway prepare for the worst and dont even listen to music because if they see you have especially the apple headphones on they'll know you have a apple product and increase your chance of getting beat up for the iPhone. It's not safe traveling in the subway at night. you should take a cab at night if it's possible.

Welcome to New york City life

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Maybe police are doing what police do. Collecting theft and recipient data, waiting till a date they pick, then do a multipoint "task force" to bust as many folks using the stolen goods as possible.

It is important to maximize the list of perps rather than catch their sources when in wholesale mode.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Not surprising. I'm very careful with using my iPhone in the city but its always a little risky. It would be a great feature if Apple added functionality to somehow make an iPhone useless to a thief.

it is possible, but i wonder what stopping them doing that. I mean i know they can hotlist credit card which becomes a piece of plastic which you scratch your teeth but nothing more.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I was mugged last December. Luckily the thieves were caught (and sentenced) but I was glad I had a password on my iPhone. You can also call AT&T and have them disable the phone using the IMEI.

Imac&SoShouldU

macrumors member
People, people, people! It's in your best interest to be cautious w/what ever valuables you own in ANY city you're living in or visit! With that being said I'm posting this Ina crowded bus on 42nd 3rd ave In the greatest city ever NYC. Where no one wants to steal android phones. Lol I kid I kid! I <3 NY :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I take transit and sometimes worry about that. If there are enough people on board, I'll use my iPhone/iPad without worry.
It might be wise to keep a close eye on those around you. Recent reports have theives boldly mugging people for iPhones on busy subway cars and other highly trafficked areas. There's no indication that having more people around you reduces the risk.

In many cases it's no different than a smash and grab theft, it's all about opportunity. iPhones have a very high street value, and hence the reason they are grabbed by a variety of theives.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I find this claim to be dubious at best. Did Apple just start producing iPhones and iPads this year?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
There is a simple solution to this problem. We need more guns in our inner cities to prevent crime. We need an assault rifle store on every block in Manhattan. That will teach these theives a lesson.

Which might also mean more guns for the thieves to steal, no? Followed by more lives to steal with said guns.

Flawless logic.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Samsung Execs are scratching their heads, wondering how they can get people to steal the Galaxy S3....and then they can make a commercial about stupid, out of touch thieves stealing the iPhone......

Why do that when Apple can make a commercial of someone robbing someone with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and then giving the S3 back to them since it's not an Apple device.

You not only get Samsung on the copying of an Apple look (because the robber thought it was an iPhone) but also mock them by showing the thieves don't want that phone...lol.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Remember when someone pulled a gun to my head for my 4S back in April:mad: Funny thing is.. this happened rite around the corner from the 22nd police district, I ran there when it was over knowing Philadelphia Police are issued iphones

I used the "find my iphone" while the good men in blue was mounting up in the squad cars... (all of this happened within 10 mins) the perp turned my phone off. never to be saw again

Part of me blame apple for not putting a password lock on the power off function. really believed if the ***** was not able to turn my phone off, he would have been brought to justice

leads me to say... the find my iphone app is crap, yeah I said it fanboys so what!. yeah in some situations its handy when you left it in a coffee shop 5 mins. ago or lost it underneath the bed. But other than that, what is it good for?

Yeah that would be nice. Also a way to lock individual apps from settings. Seems like an easy fix?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Very high unemployment, plus 1 million illegals, plus they are armed and the people are not equals high crime.

Bloomburgers solution? Don't hold your iPhone in your hand, keep it at home in a safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.